Maternal & Child Community
2 cm dilated

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 cm dilated

I am 37 weeks pregnant with 2nd child and i am 2 cm dilated and
-2 station. I am scheduled to be induced on friday because my daughter had shoulder dystocia when i was delivering her but i really want to experiance labor on my own and not be induced but i am affraid that because i am already dilated to 2 that if i tried walking or something got my labor going i might not make it to the hospital in time because i was induced with my daughter too and she was born in 5 in a half hours.Anyone have any thoughts on what i might do? thanks
it is normal for a woman to be 2 cm at your point of pg. in fact women never close completely back up after they have a child. i would take it easy and if you start having contractions sit or lay down. if they stop you are good, if they don't call the dr and go to the hospital. i know you are probably nervous, so to ease your mind call the dr....even if it is the oncall, and tell them your concern. i am sure they will be happy to give you the correct advice. that is what they r there for.

good luck and happy baby day!!!.....kimmie
I was 2 cm dilated for a MONTH! I was excited because I thought it meant it would be any day that I would give birth...but nope! Hang in there.

thanks for your advice, I hope I am not obesely overweight I did gain about 2 1/2 stone while pregnant and I was about 2 stone overweight before hand . I know this sounds alot but I am 5'9 tall and am very big boned. I have a mans frame. I guess I should be around 12 stone to be at a normal weight. I have lost over a stone and a half since my baby was born I was 14 st when I got pregnant and my bp was fine then as it was taken regularly throughout my pregnancy until christmas when I was about 34 weeks preg it suddenly started to rise.
I hope my bp has dropped again when I get re checked in the next fortnight.

Claire
Hi Claire,

It would be helpful to find out exactly what is causing your blood pressure to be high. The high blood pressure in pregnancy that leads to pre-eclampsia goes down after delivery. Since yours hasn't there must be another cause unrelated to pregnancy.

There could be many causes of high blood pressure and you need to find out what is causing yours - once you know what the problem is, you can find out from your doctor what impact this would have on another pregnancy.

It could be the extra weight gained in pregnancy - but unless you are very unfit and unhealthy and very obese I doubt that would be the sole cause. Extra weight could just have been what tipped it over the edge.

The causes could be wide and varied - my little boy (who was not overweight at all) had high blood pressure, extremely unusual for a child. Years of testing and everyone was stumped. Turned out he had severe sleep apnea. He is now ventilated and blood pressure is normal.

Once you find out the underlying cuase it can be treated and you will be healthier for another pregnancy.

I am sorry that you lost 3 babies. My first baby died - I was nearly 35 weeks when I had him. I had a miscarriage also. I have had serious problems in my pregancies with placentas that don't function very well - this has resulted in 2 of my babies being very sick in NICU. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do to make things turn out better. I don't smoke, don't drink, eat healthily - don't take any medication at all in pregnancy , not even paracetamol. I hardly dare to move or breathe in fact ! Still all my babies have been born sick, and all have been delivered early to save them.

All you can do is give your best, you can do no more - and don't give up hope.
you just have to remember every pregnancy isnt the same believe me i know i have 4 children 11b 7g 5g and 20month old they were 9lb 6oz 9lb6oz 8lb13oz 9lb 5 oz and my last was my hardest and longest 26 hours of labor i went on my own but was induced with 2 of them i was 2 cm for 2 months before i tarted going into labor but ended up being induced

Sorry to ask a question when someone had posted but I couldn't post a new one. It's been quite a while since have been on this site! my daughter was only about 3/4 weeks old when I last posted, she will be 6 1/2 months on Tuesday!!
I hope somneone can help, before my daughter was born I sadly lost 3 babies. My feeling always was that I did not want to have a large age gap between my children becuase of my previous history. During my last couple of months of pregnancy my blood pressure shot up, my little girl was born and it is still up now six months on. I am taking labetalol (sp?) 100mg twice daily and it is slowly coming down, I am due to have my bp checked by my doctor in another couple of weeks. My question after all that is should I hold off getting pregnant again until it gets back to a lower level, my only concern is that it might not, I am losing weight gained during pregnancy to hopefully help lower it, i don't want any future pregnancies to be put in jeopardy because of this condition

Many thanks

Claire
Hi Claire

I managed to put on 4 stone in my last pregnancy.
I was 8 1/2 stone when I got pregnant and was 12 1/2 when I had her (at 36 weeks) My daughter is now 4 months and I weigh just under 10 1/2 stone and am 5 foot 1. Now I am pregnant again I won't be losing any more - probably gaining rapidly !

By very obese I meant morbidly so - like 26 stone kind of figure.

Even if your blood pressure has gone down at your next check it would be worth equiring why it was raised in the first place. You need to know if the medication has brought it down or if it has come down on its own. The medication could be simply treating a problem that could recur without it. You need to find out why medication was necessary in the first place - as I said high blood pressure caused by pregnancy related factors ususally resolves on delivery, yours clearly didn't.

Best of luck
Windsong
I was 4cm dilated and 80% thinned for over a month with my last baby. I still had to be induced. My doctor even stripped my membranes 3 times in the last 3 weeks.