Maternal & Child Community
2 month old drooling sooo much and always sucking on hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

This happens even after feedings she sucks on her hands most of the day---is it normal?  and she drools soooo much--I thought teething babies drooled excessively.  Cold hand sucking signal something else such as a tummy ache?
Your baby may be showing signs of teething.  My DS started teething at 2 months and had his first tooth at 4 months.
LOL...Hi, I was laughing when I read your post b/c my baby's been doing exactly the same thing...She can suck on her little fist even after she's had almost 4 oz to eat and drools so much that sometimes it gets on the floor (if my DH is not careful when he's burping her).  So I'd like to know that myself, is that normal?  I posted the question of drooling a few days ago (if it's possible for her to teeth so early) and I got an answer that they start drooling a few months before the actually start teething.  How's Ameera been doing otherwise?
I've been meaning to ask you, when's Ameera's b-day?  September what?  Thanks.
Our pediatrician said that the digestive enzymes kick in or become active at two months and that is why drooling starts at this age.  :)  Could also be teething too...who knows!

Amy
Could be teething - The sucking on hand could also be teething but that usually indicates hunger or just curiosity about what those things are LOL :o)   I read somewhere that drooling was not necessarily a sign of teething - Babies have a lot of saliva and can not swallow it fast enough.   My 27 month old is STILL drooling like crazy.
Ohhhh, I"m so jealous!!  lol, kidding...I'm glad that Ameera's gotten better.  Unfortunately, Ariella has not (she's still very gassy and fussy).  But she's much smaller (only 9 lbs) b/c she was born smaller to begin with (5.7 lbs).  I'm hoping that with weight, her tummy will mature to the point where we'll all sleep soundly :):):)
Oh it is true what they say about colicky babies--she has improved sooo much the last few weeks.  We are still giving her Enfamil Lactofree -- I don't think it necessarily did the trick but rather she has grown so much and maybe her stomach has matured.  SHe was born on Sept 21 and is almost 15 pounds!!

She scared me last night and slept for 6 hours-- that was a record for her and I feel so much better getting more sleep too

She still has a terrible temper when it comes to food== she wants it immediately and gulps it down Just like her baba (that's Urdu for her daddy LOL)

I just never saw her drool so much DH and I are constantly washing off our necks and changing our shirts!
Hi everyone!  I had to jump in here because my daughter was colicky and didn't outgrow it until she was about 5 months old!  She never slept and constantly cried!  I thought it was a neverending process and sometimes felt like I was going to die from lack of sleep.  Eventually I found out about Mylecon (sp?) drops to help with her gas (which did help)- you can buy this over-the-counter.  I also used the expensive formula, but eventually found out that any soy based formula did the trick - it doesn't have to be $30 a can!  Amber didn't drool too much, but she always held her hands together and placed them in her mouth.  Eventually, I figured out she just wanted more food.  I was feeding her 4z every four hours, but apparently she wanted more (LOL)  

Colic usually goes away by 6 months.  Stay strong ladies - This Too Shall Pass (even though it doesn't seem like it!)  Good luck!
my son is 4 weeks old and has started drooling and making spit bubbles, he also started to not eat well at feedings. He'll spit the bottle or my breast out or just play with the nipple. He also started playing wiyh his tongue a lot, should I be concerned?
my lil Khloe' is 3 mos. and also drools alot and has every since she was about 3 weeks old. She also keeps her hands together and tries to put her fist in her mouth all the time.she also moves her tongue around in her mouth all the time every since I can remember. I am a mother of four and all of this behavior is very new to me. None of my other children did these things so I was a little confussed and often wondered was this normal hoping and praying that nothing was wrong with her. It is refrashing to hear that her behavior is perfectly....Thanks to everyone for the comments.