Maternal & Child Community
2 month old has evening colic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 month old has evening colic

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to deal with a baby who has evening colic?  My son has what we call the "witching hour".  It ranges from 5 pm to possibly 9 pm and can last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour of crying.  Sometimes he can be soothed but a lot of the time he just cries.  We haven't been able to figure out what his problem could be.  He's 10 weeks tomorrow and I read that babies tend to go through this and it seems to go away once they reach 3 to 4 months.  Is this something that he will grow out of?  I can't stand the evenings.
Are you sure it is colic? My little one was also very fussy betweens those hours and again, she would cry for alittle while but for a long time. We had to walk her around and I remember putting her on the dryer in her car seat to see if that would soothe her.

She is 3 1/2 mos old now and has defintely grown out of it. We have found a routine during that time that works. I wear her at night for alittle while and we seem to have gotten past the fussy hours.
I'm not sure what it is.  I think he's just fussy at those times.  I try to hold him more during the evening hours and it seems to be working.  Every night it's something different.  He goes from smiling and talking to crying within seconds.  It's so strange.  When he was about 4 weeks old he cried for a good 4 hours.  It's been better lately though, he only cries for like 15 minutes and then I can swing him to sleep.  I just wanted the light at the end of the tunnel, it gives me hope to know that he will grow out of it.
He sounds normal to me.  Both my boys were colicky, you could tell it was 8 pm without looking at the clock, and by 10 pm it was full blown screaming and crying for hours till close to 5 am many nights.  It got better in time and slowly the crying jags get shorter as it sounds yours have.  It should pass soon, my first son was still crying well into 4 months, then it faded and one day it was gone.  It's hard, but hang in there, you have seen the worst of it and it's already getting better.  Good luck!
What a cute baby! I just see the pic!
Well, their digestive system is maturing and seems to be especially sensitive at that age. It is true, many times what is easily called colic, is just a stage of a few weeks except what Crritter is describing. If it lasts all night its serious business. So hopefully you can just wait it out with your son.
My son was more or less a no-cry baby but from week 6 to week 8 he was fussy too and looked like he had a tummy ache. I realized I had had huge cravings for dairy products back then and simply stopped eating any dairy for a week. He got better within a day. In case you are nursing, anything upsetting can be in the milk depending on your diet.
Garlic, onions, peppers are sometimes culprits but for me or rather my son it was yoghurt and milk.
my son was the same but it was day and evenings  he is 3 1/2 months and finally grown out of it except the past few days haven't worked out what i have eaten any way have you tried to give a warm bath and a rub on the tummy in a clockwise direction and maybe circling the legs to help pass wind? these seem to help with my little boy
have you considered acid reflux? Many times colic is really acid reflux. This was defiantaly true in my son's case. He was a "silent refluxer" so it was hard to diagnose but I didn't give up until my son had relieve. He is 5 and a half months now and has been on the right meds(prevacid) since he was 2 months and he is doing awesome. Your son could just be a colicky baby, but I would do some research and see if he has any signs of acid reflux.I posted so many times on here so desperate to find help and other womens stories, I, like you hated night times, those were when it was at its worse.I feel for you and if I can help in any way please let me know.
Thank you all for your responses.  It could be reflux, I've tried placing him on his left side.  He has bad hiccups sometimes and he's doing this weird coughing thing now.  He coughs all the time.  I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I know hiccups have been linked to reflux.  I used to breastfeed but since he was such a big baby, he didn't seem satisfied by my breastmilk, so we suplimented.  I would give him the bottle and breastfeed him about 3 times a day just so he would get my milk as well.  Now he doesn't want my breast any more.  He will latch on sometimes but he isn't really interested any more.  I've tried putting him on his back and pushing his legs into his belly, that used to work but doesn't anymore.  Now I carry him and rock him and put a bobo (pacifier) in his mouth.  This seems to soothe him.  I just feel bad for him because sometimes he looks like he is in such pain.  I have an appointment with his doctor Wednesday so I will ask him about it then.  
Hi.... the coughing sounds like a sign of reflux. My son had a constant cough, I would mention that to his doctor.You are right most babies with reflux have frequent hiccups.From what you are discribing, it really does sound like reflux. My son was first put on zantac and it didnt help him at all. He is now on Prevacid 15 mg a day and he is completely changed from where he was. Prevacid is a miracle drug for my son. He is also on a hypoallergenic fromula, similac alimentum and the combination of the too have his reflux under control. Try burping him often, keep him elevated even while sleeping, and give him a paci, because saliva is a natural antacid.The good news is that it does seem to get better with time, you just have to hang in there. But I would defiantely talk to his doctor about the reflux and see if you can get your son relief. I wish I would have put him on Prevacid long before I did and I would have saved me and my son  from a lot of misery.
oh and I just saw your boy's name is Jayden too!!!
Gripe water? Maybe google that and see what other women have used it for.

Babies tend to get fussy at night. Almost like they're unwinding and telling you about their day. If you've been out running errands a lot, you may have a very fussy baby at the end of the day. But if the day has been very routine, baby probably just fusses a tiny bit before going to sleep.

Good luck with the little sweetie!
Yep, talk to your Dr.  I know Cam had signs throughout the day, but coughing is definitely a sign of reflux.  Could be colic if it's just at a certain time, but I would keep track of the times and signs and have your Dr. look him over.  I called the Dr. by the time Cam was 2 weeks old after 3 nights of up all night screaming and they aggressively began to look for the reason.  Even with the meds he was still colicky and cried at night.  I did notice Cam would wake up from deep sleep in the day screaming and coughing.  The meds made a big difference though and he seemed to be in less pain.  The symptoms have been at bay though and they do have to tweak the meds as they did last month.  Good luck at your appt., let us know how it goes!  If he does go on meds, it can take up to a week for the full effect, so don't get discouraged.  At 2 months, if it's colic, you may need to hang in there for a little bit longer too.
I went to the pediatrician today and he said that it is pretty normal behavior and that he will grow out of it in a month.  He didn't seemed worried.  My son just had a crying fit now.  It lasted 20 minutes.  I think his legs are bothering him from his vaccinations.  I just gave him Tylenol so hopefully that helps.  I guess I will see what happens.  If it persists I will see what other options I can pursue.  Thanks for the advice.
Your son is Jayden?  That's funny.
yea he is Jayden also.... hope your little one feels well soon!
Hi , my youngest son had colic and his pediatrician put him on nutramigen formula and boy what a difference ! really helped , if you goggle it you will find it is for colic . hope this helps . congrads on the little one , mine is now 9 and my oldest is 18 !. they are true blessings .
My son had colic with was later diagnosed as reflux, Anyway I found 2 GREAT things for releif. The best is the Tucker sling. They are available at www.tuckersling.com . It is a harness that fits over the top of a crib matress, then you elevate the top of the mattress and the baby won't slide. I use a pack n play alot during the day so I opted for the sling wedge combo, it is a wedge that the sling fits on and can sit on any flat surface. It only took 3 days of using it for his cough to go away. The thing that I found for soothing him when we thought it was colic was from www.onestepahead.com , it is a heat pack with lavender
My cousin's little girl had really bad colic.   My SIL had a son who had bad gas problems and stomach difficulties where he couldn't poop easily... both were treated with a product called Kid E Cole... it's catnip and fennel to calm their stomach.   My son had some constipation problems and when I cut the iron down and used the Kid E cole... he's been great.   But I know my cousin had alot of success with the colic using that stuff... I think the dr. who invented it was Dr. Christopher.   I just give a little eye dropper in each 4 oz bottle and it seems to keep him in order.
good luck!