Maternal & Child Community
2 month old infant wearing nail polish---safe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

A friend of the family is putting nail polish on a 2 month old infant.  Is this safe?
Hmmm... well you know I am not sure of that. But one thing to consider is, babys put there hands in their mouths a lot, and im sure some of the residue or whatever gets into the babies mouth. I dont think it seems to be a good idea..
To imagine that she is putting nail polish on an infant, on e would have to assume that she sits there with her daughter's hand splayed while the polish dries to avoid smearing it all over her hands when she assumes the natural newborn hand grip. One must also assume that she uses polish remover to remove the nail polish. None of this is safe for an infant who, as stated above, spends a lot of time trying to suck on their fingers.

Perhaps you should mention to your friend that she will have plenty of time to polish her child's nails and do fun girl things, but she will never have this innocent baby stage back. Enjoy it while she can by keeping her daughter clean and looking like a baby rather than like a teeny vegas showgirl!

(diclaimer: I am NOT saying that a child with painted nails looks like a showgirl or that a showgirl is in any way negative occupation!)
Lol... Have to laugh at adding a "disclaimer"....
I totally agree, hadent even thought of the nail polish remover. That would be very bad for a baby to get in her mouth..
My daughter wore nail polish after a year and the doctor said it was fine.  However, she only wore it on her toes (they don't go in her mouth).  I can't imagine that it would be good for a 2 month old to wear it on her hands.
I'm a nanny and I take care of a 4 1/2 month old and the parents have put nail polish on the her toes is this ok, or is this BAD??????
I dont know if its safe but its stupid. What is the point of it? and if the baby puts her fingers in her mouth she will swallow any that comes off...
It may or may not be safe to *regularly* put children's nail polish on a baby but one thing is FOR SURE...it's trashy.
im not here to judge anyone. i will say i waited with my daughter until she was almost two and even than  it hardly ever stayed on. now at three we paint her nails almost everyother day. there is nothing trashy about it. i dont go out and buy all these dark colors or glitters etc.. this is how we do our nailcare after her bath. honostly its easier bc she sits very still and lets me trim her nails looking forward to her pretty pink!

About the only thing you can do is tell your friend your opinion. She will take it or leave it, but ultimitly its her decision.
how did this get pulled from 2004? ya let her know her daughter is old enough for nailpolish!
The chemicals in nail polish and nail polish remover are too strong for infants. The smell of it burns our nose and makes our eyes water so just imagine what the smell could be doing to someone so new to the world. My child's doctor told me not to do it so I just did not. I don't see any reason for not waiting until she is at least two years old and this is only for her toes. Nail polish and remover to me is just like house cleaners...way too strong. Especially for children . Why not wait?
when my daughter was little she was the most perfect being id ever seen im sure you mums feel the same, i loved every bit of her why in the world would anyone feel the need to put nail polish on a baby is beyond me,
i doubt its safe, nail polish comes off in shards occasionaly and could be sharp to someone so small.
its hard enough for teens and younger to keep up with the fashion today, without exposin them to it as babies.
im so sorry if ive offended anyone at all, i just dont think 2 and a half months old is old enough for things like that!
sorry but your friend is an idiot. so are you for letting your friend put it on your daughter.  Think it's not illegal
There is baby safe nail polish & polish remover out there that is totally safe, non toxic, chemical and harsh fume free. It is called piggy paint! It is award winning and comes in really cute soft colors so as not to overpower the babies natural beauty. I don't think that there is anything trashy about it but I would wait until they open up their hands and lose their newborn grip. Some of you might still think it is wrong but that is your opinion just be willing to do your research. It is a water based product so even if your baby tries to lick it they will not be putting chemicals in their mouths. I hope this helps everyone who is interested in painting their little ones nails and informs those nay sayers about the new advancements in nail polish. Please feel free to talk to your pediatrician about it first as it is always the best course of action.
My daughters doctor says that the chemicals in regualr nail polish are not absorbed through the nails, but a baby would definitly chew on fingers, so the nail polish its self is not unsafe for a baby, but the baby (or whoever put it on) makes it unsafe by going in the mouth. I let my daughter start wearing nail polish at around 2, but usually in up mostly doing her toes, because she uses her hands so much its constantly coming off. My mother -in-law is very into natural stuff and she gets natural nail polish that is fermaldhyde free and non-toxic, so they do have option like that, that may be safer.
I have 10 months old baby. Last Saturday, my mother-in-law worn nail paint. The smell is very strong even for adult. On Sunday and Monday morning my baby got vomit and I wonder that it is because of the nail paint smell on the day before. Am I right?
trashy is a harsh word..... my baby is turning one and i am paiting her nail because she loves it and that is all that matters.. there are safe nail polish you can buy and as long as they do not hurt the kid i dont see what the big deal it ...
                        - the mom that paints her daughters nails
                                and is far from trashy
There is a non toxic polish and remover safe for babies, prego women, and children called piggy paints. You can get it at babies r us or online at piggypaint.com!