Maternal & Child Community
2 sacs one baby one fetal pole

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 sacs one baby one fetal pole

I just had an ultrasound at 6 weeks 4 days.  I went as I was having spotting.  They found 2 sacs, one with a baby with a heartbeat of 106 bpm and one with no baby, no fetal pole.  I also was found to have a subchorionic hemhorrage.  I was just wondering if anyone else had this and is it possible for the second baby to still develop?  The Radiologist thought the second sac was a blighted ovum.  I have another U/S in a week.
With my 3rd baby I started bleeding really heavy and the Dr. told me I was probably having a m/c. He did an ultrasound and found 2 sacs. One was empty and kinda deformed and the other was normal.  I ended up losing the twin, but, I was well into my second month by then, so we knew we lost the baby. With you only being 6 weeks, I would think there is still a chance the other baby is just fine. I'm not sure though.
Maybe some other woman on here with similar experiances will post.
I hope everything turns out fine and congrats on the baby that is doing great!
Let us know how it turns out.
Hello.  I am 8wks 2dys today.  It is so ironic that you posted this, because this morning I went in for my u/s and they found a few subchorionic hemhorrages for me, too.  I started to get really worried that I was going to m/c or something, but my doctor explained it to me this way.  They are no big deal if they don't get too big.  A woman's uterus, especially during pregnancy, has so many blood vessels in it so that baby can implant and develop properly, that it is not unusual for a few of them to break and bleed slightly.  He went on to say, it is only when they are really big bleeds (or maternal pools), this can become troublesome for the placenta.  He told me that mine were nothing to worry about.  Of course, they would keep an eye on them, but he did not expect them to be of any significance.  I don't know how many they saw on your u/s, or how big they are, but I would not think that by six weeks they would be big or troublesome now.

As far as the empty sac, I can only image how you must feel right now.  But, if I can offer any hope, I have know women that went in after seeing an empty sac, and then by 7 or 8 wks, it was not empty any more.  So, keep your hope up.  Keep us posted on your successes!!!
I don't know for sure how it would be with twins, but I had an empty sac til 7 weeks and my little man is now at 24 weeks and is doing fine! :) I also had a subchronic hemorage (sp) at 14 weeks that caused a bit of spotting. My my 20 week u/s it had totally disappeared like my doctor figured it would! Good luck withe everything! Keep us updated!
I'm six weeks three days. Last friday I started bleeding really really bad. Not spotting but bleeding. I freaked out and went to the hospital and found out I have a subchronic hematoma. Basically it can either be from two things one blood vessels breaking (or in my case) part of the sack got knocked off the wall. I went in 4 days after the bleeding started so at 6 weeks even and saw my babies heartbeat. It started beating while I was bleeding! Anyways to make a long story short. I have an OBGYN friend and he said that 90 % of the time with subchronic hematoma's people go on to have a healthy pregnancy. That one patient he had bleed everyday for five months.

So good luck to you girl let me know how everything goes. I'm STILL bleeding. I have another ultrasound in a week and a half.
We went to doc about a week ago and the ultra sound showed two sacs.

From here the embryo's start to grow inside the yolk sacs. And this then turns into the foetus etc.

But there is a bit of a problem. The one sac is perfectly health and seems fine... we heard the heartbeat and everything. But the second one is not so fine… there is no embryo and heart beat. The doc says that it is still a bit too early to tell; he wants to see me next week.

Im in the same boat as you... one part of me what to know that both will develop into healthy babies.. and another part is concerned... what are the chances of misscarrying both?? the list goes on.. what are the chances of the one developing slower than the other... I go to the doc tommorow for my follow up... cant wait...
How did your follow up go?  I ask because I am all in the same boat as you and Charries.  I am 6 weeks 4 days and they found two sacs.  One has  a strong heartbeat and the other doesn't seem to have anything in it -but a possible a fetal pole.  I was just wondering if it is possible for the baby to form.  I am know that one is doing well but just curious about the other.

If anyone else has any comments please post them.

Thanks :)
So I wondering how things are 5 months later. It's a shame people don't follow up to give updates. I just had my US this morning and I'm 7w5d. I had spotting at 4, 5, 6 weeks for a couple hours. This morning we found one sac with a fetus and a heartbeat and one empty sac. The doctor said that was probably what was causing my spotting but didn't go as far as to say that it was a miscarried twin or what it was. That was my assumption, but I figure I'll call him back and ask once I've digested it a bit.

Good luck to everyone else! Glad to see I'm not the only one with an extra empty sac. Makes me feel more normal.

Heather
I know this won't make you feel a whole lot better, but we were pregnant with triplets and saw all three heartbeats at about6 weeks (can't remember exactly) - they we went back at I believe 8 weeks and saw only 2 heartbeats and one empty sac.  I am now 19w4d with twins boys.  I still see the empty sac on most u/s.  It makes me sad, but happy at the same time to know that I have 2 healthy babies in there.  I had lots of spotting the first trimester, so hang in there and don't worry too much.  Best of luck to you!!

I went for an US last week and was told i had 2 sacs, one with healthy babe with a heart beat and also a heamorrhage.  Not sure what to make of it all so wondered how you all got on?

x
I had an u/s at five and half weeks.  I had a sac with a yolk and an empty sac.  I to wonder if anything could happen with the other sac.  I have been looking everywhere for someone with the same type of u/s.  Has anyone had a baby form when they had two sacs like this?
When  I was 17 I got pregnant and went into labour at 32 weeks. When I got to the hospital they did an ultrasound since baby was premature and they told me I had a double dynatresea...Im still not sure what that word is but it was a double bleb in medical terms. I had one baby and 2 sacs. My son was delivered the following day weighing only 4p 4o...he's a healthy little boy today and although he may have had another twin I'll never know.  I have also had 2 healthy babies born at term after that and Im on my 4th in my 38th week. Things happen we cant explain..and the world of medical cant always detect things soon enough for our liking...
GOOD LUCK everyone and dont worry it will all work out
i just had a u/s and found 2 sacs, one with a yolk and one empty. Allof a sudden they noticed a 3rd sac. They werent sure if it was a bleed as they put it or another sac. Right now I am freaking out b/c I want one healthy baby and I don't know what to think. I go back for an u/s at 6 weeks 3 days on Monday. Not sure if they think anything will develop in the 2nd or possibly 3rd sac. I am so confused an djsut want to know if anyone had anything develop in a sac after 5 weeks. I don't want to loose the good baby with the yolk and embryo.