Maternal & Child Community
2 week fever on a 2 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 week fever on a 2 year old

My 2 year old daughter has had a fever for 11 days. We have taken her to her pediatrician 5 times in the last 2 weeks. They have done a strep test,flu test,urine test,mono test and drawn blood. They also said that her monocytes were a little high.  The mono test has not came back yet,but they still have no clue as to what this may be. She has been taking Omnicef and Motrin and Tylenol. We also give her warm baths to reduce the fever. I need HELP,what do you think it might be and how much Fever reducer is to much. It seems like us giving her the fever reducer for 11 days would not be good for her. PLEASE Help. The other symptoms that she has are High Fever of usually in the 103's, clear runny nose,aching body,coughing and getting choked up because of the cough. I look so forward to hearing your reply. Thank You for this service. I am getting scared because I am doing everything I can. Also by the way she is drinking lots of fluids.
Tags: maternal
I would just go straight to the Children's Hospital nearest to you.  They have the latest tests and such to find things that your pediatrician might not.  
Motrin and Tylenol should not be taken together and boy, 2 weeks is a long time for a fever of around 103 and fever reducers.
Granted, I am not a doctor however, your child is fighting something and chances are it is something minor but, if it were my child, I would go to the Hospital for some testing.

Good luck and please keep in touch!!!!
The same thing happened to my DD about a year ago.  I took her to the ER first because she spike a fever of 105 on a friday night.  They diagnosed her with an ear infection and sent her home.  we were back and forth between our local hospital and Pedi.  Her white blood count dropped extremely low.  It got to the point where on the next sunday over a week after her symptoms started her Pedi wanted her to go to children's and we made plans.  He said if her fever got over 104 to take her strait to the ER and she would be lifeflighted to Children's but if she could make it through the night drive her up at 8 am.  After days of testing in the oncology dept it turned out she had lucopenia.  It was described to me as her imune system got knocked so low from the ear infection that she could not rebuild on her own.  The scariest part of what she had was the disease is very similar to lukemia.
Motrin and Tylenol are often used (alternating) and if this has been recommended by your doctor, you should follow what you have been told.  Be sure your doctor knows exactly how much Tylenol you are giving, and for how long you have been giving it.  Unless you are talking to the doc every day, he/she may not know how much you are giving.  

I agree that if things aren't getting better, you should ask for a referral.  Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes looking at a problem can see something different to try.  I wouldn't recommend just packing her up and taking her to the ER unless there is a clear emergency or you are instructed to do this by her doctor.  ER's just treat and street--that is to say, they simply stabilize the emergency and discharge you with instructions to follow up with your own doctor for furthur treatment and investigation (unless of course, the emergency dictates admission to the hospital).

My daughter is 7, she has been running a fever for 2 weeks.  its has stayed right under 101 until 3 days ago.  It is now over 103 and yes she has been tested for the flu 2x and strep 2x with coulture, all came back neg.  Hope to get urine and blood test today.  It is so fustrating, i need to be able to help her.