Maternal & Child Community
2 year old had a seizure!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 year old had a seizure!!!

Tonight I was telling my son, 2.5 years old, to get back in the house and wait b/c I was getting the diaper back out of the car so I could pack it so we could leave to go see fireworks.  He started crying and I looked back at him standing on the porch and he just collapsed to the ground.  I ran over to him and as soon as I touched him he started having a seizure and quit breathing.  The seizure lasted about 20-30 seconds and the it quit, but he still wasn't breathing.  Then he started breathing, but was almost asleep.  Then he "woke up" and said "mommy, I'm going to throw up."  That's what he did, threw up.  Then he was crying and trying to sleep on my husband in the shower.  I called the doctor who said take him to ER.  They referred me to take him to a seizure clinic on Thursday or Friday.  I am really nervous.  Anyone else have a child with a seizure disorder or have a child who's had a seizure?  

Any advise?

Nicki
Hi, I'm so sorry you both had to go through that!!  When my first daughter was 2 she also started having seizures. They would be from mild, to where she would just be staring off, all the way to grand mall. It was so scary! She was seeing a neuro for awhile and was put on medication for a few years. She had SO many tests. On her MRI it showed that she has lesions on her brain, but they couldn't tell for sure if that was the cause of them. She was hospitalized too many times to count. It was so scary! The Dr.s never did figure out why she was having them. We took her to so many different Dr.s and childrens hospitals, but nobody could figure out what was wrong with her. She had her last seizure when she was 5 1/2. We had to go pick her up at school because she had a grand mall in the middle of class. She was in the hospital for 2 days and never had one sinse.
Her neuro showed us what to do when and after she had one. I would recomend taking a CPR class. That is one of the first things the Dr. told us to do. And always lay your son on his side in case he throws up. And it's very normal for them to be sleepy or out of it afterward. Johaunna would sometimes sleep for hours after she had one, especially if it was a big one.
After you see the Dr. they wil probably do a bunch of different tests. An MRI will probably be one of them. With us, Johaunna had to be sedated. And I'm sure they will do a test called a EEG. They will hook up a bunch of wires to his head and at the end they will put on this strobe light. That would always cause her to have a seizure. (which they want so they can get the reading to help see what is the problem) You will probably be holding him through it. They will want him to sleep during, so you have to keep him up late. We were told to keep her up till midnight and then wake her up at 6:00 and she couldn't sleep or eat anything. But I'm sure they will explain everything to you.
I pray that nothing serious is wrong. Our Dr. said that some kids she see's just has one and they probably will never know what the problem was. I hope you don't have to go through all that we did. That was a really hard 3 years. So many appointments, and not having an answer to what the problem was. I think that was the most frustrating part of it.

If you want to talk more about this I can give you my email address. I know how scary this is.
Either way keep me updated! I hope it's nothing serious!!