Maternal & Child Community
2 year old with leukemia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 year old with leukemia

My friend's two year old boy was diagnosed with leukemia on Tuesday.  I am hoping to talk with someone who has gone through this and can give me tips on how to be helpful! She is also expecting a baby and has a scheduled c-section on 12-6.  I am willing to help in any way that I can.
1. What helped you the most?
2. What things did people do or say that were helpful/not helpful?

I also have a two year old, so I have to find babysitting for him to be able to help her, because of her little boy can't be around any germs.  Just started chemo yesterday and is very immunocompromised.  Also I am pregant so I need to be careful around him Ex. wearing gloves when touching bodily fluids to prevent birth defects as I am in my first trimester.  Sorry this is so long.  Just want to help my friend. Any suggestions welcome!
Hello....all I can say is that I am sorry your friend is going through this... My cousin was 6 when she passed away from leukemia..this was way back in 84.... Things have changed and technology has become much better...I know the success rates with treatment are promising.... My sister (who is my cousins age) is now  Physican Assistant at Children's Hospital in Washington DC and
has 12 patients that are obsviously children with cancer.... Where do you live??? That would be great if I could "hook you up" with her.....I can't imagine what she goes through everyday.... and I know that parents of children with leukemia are so busy and focused on their child's treatment... To help your friend...it would be great to help her out, maybe by getting a group of friends together to do her shopping, clean her house, do laundry, make meals...especially since she will be at the hospital all of the time.... Around our community, we have tons of benefits for families that are going through this...they all have been very successful....  If you need any other ideas or help...let me know.. I would love to help you out in some way....  this topic is very close to my heart....Jacquie
You sound like an amazing friend. My friend's youngest also had cancer and was undergoing chemo and radiation for over a year. Thankfully, her little one's doing better now but when she and her DH were basically living at the hospital, all of their friends got together to help in whichever capacity we could. We all took her eldest child to school, to after school programs and just had her eldest over for playdates with our kids whenever we could. It helped my friend and her dh tremendously and it gave her eldest a sense of normalcy.
If she is pregnant, can she use her newborn babies cord blood to help her 2 yr old. I have heard about that helping others in family.I dont know if it can cure Luekemis, but I know it does other illnesses and  cancers.Worth researching.

I would just be there fpor ypur friend,a daily call to be sure she doenst need anything-and the previous post had wonderful ideas-group cleaning etc....I know when my  3 boys  were in hospital with bacterial menigitis (meningitis) for 2 months, I would of loved if I came home to food in fridge or clean house-nice fresh sheets.

Take care
Actually you cannot use the cord blood from an immediate family member... My sister who is a PA that works in pediatric oncology said that this is not true... she just had a baby and donated her cord blood b/c it will be no use to her or her family....  You had better check this stuff out.....  I was shocked when I heard this!!!!  Imagine all of those people that are spending all of this money to save the cord blood!!!!
What do you mean you can't use imidiate family member's cord blood??? We were told that if I saved my baby's cord blood, we'd be able to use it on siblings as well....DID THEY LIE??
I would check into this somehow.... ask if it can be used for your immediate families and WHAT it can be used for....  I just don't want people to think they are going to be cured of everything b/c they have this cord blood....My sister's was saved and banked for whoever needs it... I will ask her more of the specifics as soon as I talk to her and ask her to give me some reseach and facts about this....
what a load of sh#@t course you can use your own cord blood why would people keep it also why do people have siblings to try and cure there older childs cancers ect im a midwife i collect cord blood all the time and yes it gets used in immediate family members ive seen first case how it can save a life.
My husband's cousin, just had a baby last year, she was two months old when they told her she had leukemia.  I guess it's the kind related to down syndrome (23 chromosome), and ways the baby does not have downs, but has the leukemia.  She is currently in remission.  I just got them a couple of keep sakes to keep like a guardian angel key chain.  I got the baby one of those little security blankets, it's really small Wal-mart has them you'll just have to get it sterilized, might be something he can hang on to during the  tough stuff, like shots, and IV's.  Just a thought.  Good luck I hope all turns out positive and he comes out strong.
She is collecting the cord blood! The doctors recommeneded that she do that so we will see if it is able to help him.  Thanks for the advice.  We have set up a rotating meal plan and she has a house cleaner coming.  And we will just continue to be as much assistance as possible.  I am going to try to send her weekly cards as well just to remind her how much I care.
Good for her!  We, too, banked our baby's cord blood.  Of course we're hoping not to even have to use it but my DH's side has a history of leukemia (his dad's been living with it for the past 10 years).  I hope the CB helps her 2 year old.
I am so sorry for your friend - I don't have any words that can help her but you sound like you are doing a great job being there for her.  UGH - This disease makes me so mad - Why does it have to happen especially to little ones.  I hope everything goes well - I will say lots of prayers.  Poor little thing.  :o(
OK, I am just telling you b/c my sister works as pediatric oncologist and said that this was not the case.... just relaying the message....
Cord blood can most definitely be used to help save the lives of immediate family members. There was a mom here in Montreal who was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 26 weeks pregnant. she began her chemo while pg and then when her dd was born, they colected her corb blood and used it. Mom's been healthy ever since and while all babies are miracles and blessings, her baby really was a gift as it was her baby that saved her life.
They told me that if I donated cord blood that it was going to be used to do tests and other things for others not my family. That it would be stored but that I would never have access to it. Pretty much what they were telling me was that it was for research to find cures for things to help others now and in the future. So I didn't donate mine.  But I don't know. I researched two different companies and my doctor also told me about it.
Ask if there's ANYTHING you can do. Cook a meal, do the dishes, bring up food to the hospital, buy her a book to read on the nights that she can't sleep. I have a 2 year old second cousin who was diagnosed with leukemia around the time he turned 1. He recently just relapsed and there have people who went as far to help with the bills on the house my aunt and his mom live in. Shawn (my cousin with leukemia) was given 6-12 months to live during his relapse so it's been decided that they're going to do as much as they can with him before he gets really sick.
The best thing you can do for her is to be there and help out as much as you can. Buy the baby a COMPLETELY sealed toy to play with in the hospital or they won't give him/her they toy for like ever because they'd have to sanitize it.

Good luck they'll join the others in my prayers.