Maternal & Child Community
2 yr old all of sudden sucking on babies pacifier

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My 2 yr old DD hasn't used a pacifier during the day for almost a year. We took it completely away about 2 months ago. All of a sudden 2 weeks ago everytime I turn around she had the babies pacifier in her mouth. I have tried everything I can think of to get her to stop. I have even strapped the pacifier to his clothes and she will still put it in her mouth. She will take it out of her mouth. I really don't know what to do. Do any of you have any suggestions or thoughts.
Brandy
She is regressing her behavior because she sees the baby sucking on the paci.  Plus, she wants it...lol.  You can try and give her something else to replace it.  Like when you see her with it, tell her, no, this is your brother's paci.  Give her something else, like a lollipop or distract her with a toy.  My son is 2 1/2 and still has his paci during nap times and bed times.  Sometimes he tries to get at it during other times but we keep saying no and distract him with something else.
I wouldn't make an issue out of it.  She wants to be cuddled and coddled like the baby is, and she associates the paci with all of those protected, safe feelings.  No big deal if a 2-year-old is on the paci.  Give her some extra snuggles and understanding, and she'll come out of it (especially with a little bit of well-timed distraction every now and then.)  Be happy it's not a bottle.  :)