Maternal & Child Community
2 yr old dd won't put pressure on her right leg...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

this morning dd woke up and was complaining that her leg hurt.  now she is 2 yrs old and she whines A LOT!!!  so i just chalked it up to "waking up on the wrong side of the bed"!  we even went to the doctor today for a follow up from her ear infection (which is gone)...  but i didn't think to ask to check her leg b/c i had carried her in and then held her in the office and carried her back out to the car.  it wasn't until watching her a while later at my inlaw's that i noticed that she really couldn't put weight on it.  

well i called the doc back and they said to give her motrin tonight and if she is still not putting pressure on it in the morning that i need to bring her back in tomorrow.  she asked if it was accompanied by a fever and its not.  she said it could possibly be a virus that settled in her joints or a toddler fracture... but they won't know until they look at it.  she's not pointing at a joint, she's pointing at a muscle (hamstring maybe?), but again she's 2 and may not know exactly where to pinpoint the pain.

does anyone have any ideas???  she hasn't done anything in the last 24 hours (or more) that could've possibly made her pull a muscle...  and what does the nurse mean by a toddler fracture?  what's the difference between that and a regular fracture?  oh, and there are no marks or bruises or anything on the outside (skin)...  that's why i thought she was just whining and just wanting me to hold her!

thank you for any advice and sorry this was lengthy!!!!!
My son had that happen when he was about 4.  He had terrible hip pain, and couldn't walk for several days.  They never found any cause for it at all, after a lot of testing.  It was also chalked up to a virus settling in the joint.

I think your doctor is right.  If its just a minor muscle strain, it should be better with the Motrin and rest in a day or two.  Longer than that, and they'll have to look for closely at it.  
thanks peek...  yea, the nurse said sometimes w/ that they would need to do an x-ray and that startled me b/c i serioulsly thought she was just whining!  i felt so bad once i realized she was really in pain!  hopefully w/ the motrin and a good night's rest she'll feel better tomorrow!!!
oh yea, what's wierd is she can put pressure on it by standing on her knees...   but once she's tries to take a step she falls...
Poor little thing! I'm sorry I don't know about that but wanted to say I hope they can find something to make her feel better.
I had a similar thing happen to my son when he was 3 years old. He woke up one morning and came crawling into my room and  complained of his leg hurting in the thigh area. He had no visible signs of bruising or having hurt himself. The only thing I noticed was a small scratch on his ankle.

Long story short. He ended up in the hospital for 5 days with cat scratch fever. Needless to say, I got rid of the cat and have never owned one since!
joy-  thank you...  i'll update on here in the morning after i see how she's feeling and if they are going to want me to bring her in.

wannabenana-  omg!..........  i've never heard of that except for in a song!  she hasn't been around cats lately so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

thanks guys!
i would've updated sooner but i was at the inlaw's and they don't have a computer...

dd is fine now!  the next morning i took her to the doctor but he couldnl't pinpoint where the pain was coming from and suggested an x-ray and some blood work.  well, after her tantrum in the office he decided to tell me to wait until the next day.  she was a little better yesterday with putting weight on it but still limping and they said that if she was not all the way better by this morning then they wanted me to go do the tests.  well, last night she was jumping and running and standing on her tippy-toes so she is fine!  i have no idea what it was...  but whatever it was she got better w/ in a few days just like peek said her boy did!  

oh...  and she did not have a virus in her joint.  that's why they were going to send me for an x-ray b/c he said if she hadn't got better on her own then it could've been a hairline fracture or even a bone infection.............  but nope!  :)

thanks guys!
Glad to hear she is doing better.