Maternal & Child Community
20 weeks and having sharp pains....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

20 weeks and having sharp pains....

Im 20 weeks pregnant and woke up this morning with  sharp pains on the right side of my stomach.  It kind of feels like a cramp after you've worked out but really sharp.  I havent done any excersise at all.  My dr. is gone for 3 weeks and I dont really want to have a dr. on call paged for this.  I have felt the baby move today so Im pretty sure he/she is fine.  Has anyone experienced pains like these?  I hate worrying over every little ache and pain but Im pretty uncomfortable.
Hi, i'm 35 weeks ,and i do remember waking up with sharp pains.  I never did find out why, i think i either slept funny or it was just my body stretching or i might of over done it the day before.  Perhaps you should call your doctor just to put your mind at rest.  I wouldn't worry about ringing them up for every little ache and pain they expect us to do that :)
round ligament pain maybe? i found this on yahoo

Pregnancy, Round Ligament Pain Symptoms
Pain from stretching uterine ligaments can be severe and can be confused with causes outside your pregnancy. Pregnant women often feel acute abdominal pain when the cause is something more serious, such as the following:

Appendicitis - An inflammation of the appendix located in your right lower abdomen. You initially have poor appetite, nausea, vomiting, fever, and, as the inflammation progresses, worsening pain. As you move further along in your pregnancy, the pain from appendicitis will be felt in the upper abdomen instead on the lower abdomen because of your growing uterus.

Pain in ovaries or cysts. The ovary located in this area may twist, or a cyst may rupture, causing sudden severe abdominal pain. The pain may also indicate a ruptured ovarian cyst.

Abnormal growths in the abdominal area

Cramps because of slow digestion caused by pregnancy (These occur in the ascending colon and cecum, located in the right lower part of your abdomen.)
I had them with my son three years ago.  I called the doctor and they said they were round ligament pains.  I remember I was so frustrated because it hurt so bad and the doctor's office acted like it was nothing.  I just knew it was a sign of something wrong.  The nurse told me that around 18 weeks your uterus starts expanding other ways besides up and that is the prime time to have pains like this.  I was ready to go to the ER because they hurt so bad, but I didn't and everything was fine.  Good luck and try to relax.
Hey girl I'm having them also here and there.  I had them while shopping the other day, similar to what you described.  I think it's just your body changing to accomodate the baby as they are just getting through the rapid growth stage.  Round ligament pains are also a possibility although I don't fully understand what those are and where they should be!
Thankyou all so much for your quick answers.  I was hoping it was ligament pain but have never experienced this before.  Hopefully  the pain will ease up a bit.  Thanks so much.
I have tons of sharp pains, and randomly.  I asked my dr at my last visit and he said it's normal and it just the stretching.  I'm 17 1/2 weeks.  Best wishes to you, and don't worry...if you're not cramping or bleeding, just assume it's normal for you.  You will know when something is wrong.
wow sorry im waaay late in my response im sure youve gotten answers by now. but im sure its just ligament pain. and whoever says it last a few seconds.uhm no..sometimes..it lasts awhile. ive experienced it a few times. and its uncomfortable and painful. but its all normal. stuff as long as no bleeding etc..you should be ok. congrats!!!
I am having the same pains and im 16 weeks. I only have it at night and it wakes me up every time. I think its just my uterus beginning to stretch but it hurts pretty bad and i wanted to go to the ER myself. Hope your pain gets better soon but if not you should go see a doctor.