Maternal & Child Community
22 weeks- Contractions??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

22 weeks- Contractions??

I'm kinda worried.  I woke up this morning with a weird stomach cramp.  I put my hands on my stomac and I could feel all the muscles getting tight, it would last a couple of secounds (20ish, maybe) and then I' feel the muscles relax.  Its been going on about 20 min now.  It isn't horrible pain, but it was uncomfortable enough to wake me up.  Should I be worried??  Has anyon else experienced this??  Is it contractions?? Do I need to call my doctor??  Any help would be great, thanks.
for your peace of mind i would..however at 28 weeks i had contractions because my baby had flipped..and it wasnt a slow process it was a one time thing...hence why we think its why i was at the emergency room..it could be your uterus that is stretching..ligament pains or braxton hicks...who knows...if you are really worried i would call the dr or the er and see what they reccomend...dont feel stupid for going to the hospital to get things checked if you are worried go...good luck and let us know
You've saved me soo many times, thank you!  This is my second baby so you'd think I would remember what a contraction felt like, but its been 5 years.  I think I need to reseach what braxton hicks are and/or what to look for.  Its just a weird sensation.  If it doesn't go away in the next couple of hours or gets worse I may go in.  I do feel stupid, but I'd rather be safe.  I'm not spotting or bleeding so I don't feel that I need to rush in right this second.  Thanks again!.
I agree w/ CYW - its better to call the doctor and see what they recommend than not to do so ESPECIALLY since you are a high risk patient.  Never feel worried or stupid about calling the doctor - they are the ones that are qualified and are their to help (and its what we pay them for, lol).

What you have experiencing "could" be a Braxton Hicks contraction.  I am 19 weeks and felt one the other morning.  It didn't hurt (Braxton Hicks contractions do not hurt this early on and typically start at 6 weeks!) and the only reason I felt it is because I had my hand on my abdomen (over my uterus) and I felt my uterus get   very tight and then relax.  The tightness only lasted a few seconds and I didn't feel anything else after that.  If I didn't have my hand on my abdomen, I would not have known I was having the BHC.  If you have been having any pain w/ these sensations and they are occurring frequently that would be a reason to call your doctor sooner rather than later.
One more thing, BHC's are sporadic - they do NOT have any kind of pattern to them.  If you are experiencing any contraction-like sensation on a regular basis that has a pattern to them, you need to head to the ER.
It didn't go away, called the doctor and they want me to go to L & D to get checked out.  I'm on my way now.  Thanks to everyone for the responses, I'll keep you posted!
Well this is my latest update.  I woke up twice today having contractions.  I waited a few hours and they didn't go away.  They weren't painful, but more uncomfortable.  Called my OB and he instructed me to go into labor and delivery to be checked out.  I went in, they hooked me upto a monitor and got me some fluids going.  They gave me an injection (something that started with a T) that was suppost to stop contractions, it helped me.  They checked my cervix and thats when they got conserned.  There are two layers to the cervix- an internal and an external.  The external was soft and slightly open.  They put me on strict bed rest and I'm to take Procardia every 4-6 hours to keep the contractions at bay.  I've been instructed to call my OB on Monday for an apt and a cervical u/s to see exactly whats going on.
You were given terbutaline (spelling is wrong lol). I was given to that when I went into preterm labor...however, they stopped me procardia immediatly (I was on it for high blood pressure).....but after I left the hospital on bed rest, I was back 4 days later in labor again, THats when they put me on hospitalized bed rest....!!!
Thats the exact name of the drug, thanks!  I did read the handout the pharmacy gave me, said the procardia was used for high blood pressure, but they put me on it to keep the contractions at bay.  Kinda weird.
While I was in the hospital they eventually put me back on it to stop contractions though too...although that didn't last long lol. Sorry about all the mistakes in my last post, yesterday was my sister's wedding and my mom adn I planned the whole thing and after a week of no sleep and then the wedding/reception, I was pretty tired...lol! Some of that post makes no sense lol
lol, i knew what you ment!