Maternal & Child Community
24 weeks and worried about amniotic fluid - please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am almost 24 weeks pregnant and was at the OB on Friday due to cramping. I just wanted to be sure everything was still ok. I am older and had a CVS as well as the 20 week level II u/s. Everything so far has come back fine. Friday though my doctor told me I had alot of amniotic fluid and that is why I am feeling pressure and cramping. He said my little girl was very active as well. I had asked if this was a problem and I do not recall exactly what he said but I do know when I left, I felt fine about everything. I have anxiety and everyone knows that this pregnancy has not been easy for me (I had 2 m/s last year).

Anyway, I was reading what to expect when you are expecting and just by chance came across too much amniotic fluid. Now I am so frightened. It says it can cause defects. What I want to know is has anyone else experienced this and has the fluid balanced out? He did not say I had too much (yet) but he said I had alot. I can not tell you how freaked out I am. All I want is a healthy baby and I was finally calming down about the pregnancy and enjoying it.
calm down, Im sure if there was anything your Dr. would have told you, in fact I do know that having enough fluid is good for you and the baby, Im not sure about having too much, but if the Dr, didnt say you have too much then you should be fine, dont get freaked out and dont be sressed cause Im sure you know it s not good for you or for your girl, just enjoy your pregnancy and leave it to God and it will all be fine.

Keep me posted please
Hi TIna,

I appreciate you taking the time out to write me back. This is my first and I am 39yrs old. I get so scared that something is going to go wrong. I am trying hard to stay positive though. I did re-read the book this morning and decided to relax about it. I have a fantastic DR. and know he will let me know if there is something to be alarmed about.

Thanks again. :)
Im 40 myself but this is my second, and dont be so scared, it will be fine, be thankful ur cvs and level II u/s came out fine, that is a big relief, best of luck to u and the baby.
at about 20wks pregnant my doc said there might be a problem with my baby because she was on the small side and i measured(fluid) bigger. i left crying and extrememly worried. at 24wks my doc said everything looked fine and she was still on the small side. i of course was still worried and we talked for long. he said that usually it means that there might be a birth defect or some type of heart problem, but he said to wait before we worry. we did more tests and at 28wks i found out she was fine. having too much fluid can also mean she is not drinking as much as she should and there might be a problem with her organs. i reaserched all of this on the internet and with my docs. the thing is that since i was sooo worried i forgot i have always had this problem. this is my 4th pregnancy and everytime i had more fluid than usual. it always evens out toward the end of my pregnancies. they are all perfectly normal and my babies are pretty big...8lbs 6oz, 9lbs 11oz, another 9lbs 11oz, and this 4th now at 30wks is going to be as big as them...so i was told by 2 docs... so i say to you...don't worry, enjoy it and let your doc tell you if you need to worry. best of luck.
sorry i left this out, but this is what it's called....Polyhydramnios: Too Much Amniotic Fluid. you can research it if you like, but i wouldnt stress myself over this just yet