Maternal & Child Community
2.5 weeks larger than due date

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2.5 weeks larger than due date

I am 36.5 weeks yesterday and my due date is 9/9/06.  Yesterday dr.'s visit, Dr. said my baby is measured at 39 weeks and scheduled for U/S next week.  What does it mean 39 weeks instead of 36.5 weeks? Is it normal for the baby 2.5 weeks larger than due date? I am not diabetic. Thanks.
If you want, pull up fundal height on google. This will explain baby's positions and how they determine size.
a simple tape measurement. Thanks.
I had a 40 week ultrasound with my last baby, the tech said the baby was going to be over 9.5 lbs. I about cried. Turned out she was just a shade over 8. Who is right, they are inaccurate at best.
It just means you are measuring a bit large.  Measurements done this late in pregnancy are notoriously inaccurate, though so don't put much stock in it.  You don't say if that measurement was done via ultrasound or a simple tape measurement, but both are not terribly accurate at this late date.  
My ds will be 21 next month, the dr kept telling me he was going to be big, at least 8lbs maybe 8 1/2.  He was born weighing in at 9lbs 14ozs and 23" long! The moral of the story, docs dont know it all, other wise he would have just scheduled me for a c-sec instead of rushing me in at the last minute for one. I wouldnt worry about his being bigger on the u/s especially at this point.  In my opinion, measuring bigger is better than smaller...I am sure everything will be fine.  Good luck and healthy baby dust to you!
Could measure ahead for a number of reasons. To mych amniotic fluid, baby was in a different position, baby is larger than a "normal" 36 week old baby ect. There are many many reasons. And u/s like the other posts said aren't accurate at this stage for weight. They said my daughter would be 6lbs 4 oz. She came out exactly a pound bigger at 7lbs 4 oz. and this was the next day I had her after the u/s. Their main concern would be to look for excess fluid. Good luck, hope shes just big or in a funny position. But also they say you can measure two weeks ahead and everything be completely normal!
This also happened to me.  I was 38 weeks measuring 40.  My doctor said that it was because the baby hadn't "dropped" yet so I was measuring larger?  Who knows!  I'm sure it's nothing to be worried about and your U/S should eliminate all concerns.  :)  When you've had previous ultrasounds, were you measuring correctly to your due date?  If so, I'd assume you just haven't dropped, have a little extra fluid, or maybe a slightly bigger baby?  Who knows.  :)  Good luck!!!

Amy
Yes, I agree with all the posts...I don't even know why they bother doing it b/c I've heard so many stories about it and all of them say the same thing "they're anything but accurate".
I wouldn't let them induce me or anything like that, if I were at you.  They might suggest that if baby measures big on the ultrasound.  Late ultrasound is very unreliable.  I've had friends told they were going to have big babies.  HUGE babies and then they had average six pound babies.  They say the ultrasound can be off a pound to a pound and a half, but from reading many womens experiences it can be even four pounds off!  Just be forewarned.

On the measurements, I've been measuring big, a week and a half to two and a half weeks larger than due date, since they've started measuring.  Like the other women said, it just depends on position of baby and all that other stuff.  I wouldn't worry or let my doctor push something on me that I'm not comfortable with.  Hopefully, your doctor wouldn't do that to you, but I've heard some horror stories.