Maternal & Child Community
27 Weeks Pregnant Kidney Problems With Unborn Fetus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi My Name is Tara. I am 21 years old and I am on my second pregnancy at 27 weeks with a bbaby boy. They detected something in my ultrasound. My doctor said my baby has mild cases of Pyelectasis and Hydronepgrosis. I am having a hard time understanding what this means or what the possible outcome of my baby's health will be. Please help me understand what this means and if you could e-mail me at ***@**** with the answer please, Thank You. Tara

Hi - I am not sure about what those 2 cases are but my thoughts were perhaps one was mispelled.  I think you meant hydronephrosis.  Anyway, my son has that.  They detected it on ultrasound as well because there was fluid retention in his kidney.  Now, he also has a mild case.  He was also born with gastroschesis, so we had a lot of ultrasounds to monitor it!  Anyway, when he was born they told me to tell the peds about what ultrasound found so it could be evaluated further (he was in NICU for the gastroschesis, not the other one).  

Anyway, what it meant for us after NICU was follow-up appointments for ultrasounds to see it remained mild or got worse.  He is now 8 months old, and it is still mild.  He had a kidney infection and was hospitalized for a few days, but they think that was because he hadn't been circumcized yet.  Now, if the gets another one, they are going to attribute it to the hydronephrosis and do surgery.  I can't really explain what it is, but a mild case is nothing serious.  I would recommend googling it to have it fully explained, but I wanted to let you know that you weren't alone  :)  

Good luck.  I am sorry I am no help with your baby's other condition.
My daughter was born with hydronephrosis also. She was born with 2 kidneys that functioned at 80% and 2 extra kidneys, one which functioned at 70% and the other which was malformed and did not function at all. She was also born with ureters from each kidney to her bladder, which was quite large.  Her case was more severe than some, as she required surgery at 5 months to correct issues with one of her kidneys (she had the malformed kidney removed completely). She was also hospitalized numerous times with uti's and finally ended up having another surgery when she was 6 years old. This surgery entailed the removal of one of the ureters, and the fusing of the 2 one the right side.  She was also prone to reflux, so the surgeon extended the ureters further into the bladder.
Her condition was found on an ultrasound prior to her birth, so we knew what to expect when she was born. She was followed from birth until the age of 8 by both a urologist and a nephrologist. She was also on antibiotics until the age of 7 to help prevent more serious infections.

I'm not sure about any info regarding your little one's other condition, but wanted to wish you luck and let you know that its not that uncommon and usually very treatable. :)
they thought my son had that too before he was born i had to get ultrasounds very month.. turned out that his bladde was always full at the time of the ultrasounds, making his kidneys look as though they were larger than they sould be.. he was born perfectly fine with no problems.. the doctors just cover every little thing "that could be wrong" doesn't mean anything.. just try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.. after he's born if there is reason to worry then thats when you worry.. not now.. being pregnant you need not to stress yourself out.. relax it will be okay..
I am 28 weeks pregnant and my son is being diagnosed with possible hydronephrosis...It sounds scary but I also was born with kidney problems--and they are heriditary!...I have Reflux, where the urine travels back up into the kidneys.  I had frequent UTI's (urinary tract infections), took a daily antibiotic, had a surgery at 4 yrs and testing done at 13 yrs, and another surgery sceduled at 21 yrs which was cancelled. :) Reflux can be outgrown, treated with medications and I was informed now can betreated without the surgery that I had...It is a very liveable condition and I don't have any recuuring problems--and no UTI's or Kidney infections for a while...and I also have beautiful a 4 yr old son who has no problems either!
hey i went to the doctor the other day and i founf out that my baby boy has an enlarged kidney............... it could be either hydronephrois or monoucleosis.......your baby might still come out healthy........ its just some risks that are apporaching as ur due date gets close.... they was talking bout sticking a needle down my abdmen to check my fluid dont let them do that because everything has risks. just pray n hopefully your baby will be alright.......i am 21 weeks n my baby has a kidney problem
i am 26 weeks pregnant~ juz have my ultrasound today and my doctor says that my baby kidnay have water inside.....is tis normal? or serious? i am very worried...how am i supposed to do? did any1 can tell me somehitng about tis problem
My unborn son was diagnosed with bilateral paliatasis and its where one of the kidneys is bigger than the other i was freaked out to but its known to happen to every 1 in a100 unborn fetuses and usually gets to normal size by birth an if it dosent dont freak out theres a minor sergury to fix it. so be calm im also 21 an this is my 3rd pregnancy and im going through the same
MONICA :)(:
Should they detect the kidney or problem before my daughter is born everyone says they should have she is 5 moths old and been in and out of hospitals since she was born u.t.i. fever so on urine been backing up in her kidneys and there just now seeing this.shouldntve they have caught this before she was born?