Maternal & Child Community
2cm dilated 50% effaced

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2cm dilated 50% effaced

I am just about 38 weeks prego with baby #2.  I have been dilated to 2 and 50% effaced fro about 3 weeks now.  I have been having non stop contractions every 2-5 min for about 2 days now.  Yesterday we went to L and D and there is no change.  How long is this going to go on?  It's not like the contractions are the light braxton-hicks ones.  These suckers hurt to the point that if I am walking I can't even move and if I am sitting I double over in pain.  I have been having braxton-hicks since 32 weeks and they actually had to give me meds to stop them on 2 different occasions.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on this?  I have a 3 year old and I can't even deal with her right now because I am so exhausted from the contractions.  I feel so bad for her and my husband - I am so miserable.  Thanks.
I was exactly like that from 36 weeks on with my son.  He came on his due date.  My water finally broke, but I still had to have pitocin to start my contractions.  I was on bed rest from 33 weeks due to high blood pressure and tried everything to start my labor early.  I was so excited when I went in at 36 weeks and found out I was dilated to 2cm and 50% effaced, but I soon learned I shouldn't have been so excited!  Good luck and hand in there!
Well they say that if you are a least 2 cm dialated that walking can help to induce labor. I was 1 cm and 75%  thinned with my 2nd one for three wks. Due to a fall and irregular heart beat in baby my dr stripped my membrane. About 12 hrs later my water broke and I had my son an hr and 15 min. after admitted to the hospital. So try walking if you feel up to it. Or if you are to uncomfortable see about having your membranes stripped to get labor going. I know most people say it's extremely painful, but it wasn't any worse than having a pap smear while you are pg. Best of luck and hope this is helpful.
Brandy
I have been at a 4, fully effaced for about 2 weeks now, but my contractions happen for about an hour here an hour there everyday.