Maternal & Child Community
2nd baby shower

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2nd baby shower

is it proper to have a shower if it has only been 2 years since the last shower?
Tags: Baby, newborn, maternal, friends, years
Yes its proper to have a shower everytime she has a baby if she wants to. It doesn't matter how far apart they are.
i agree.  i've had 3 showers.  the 2nd was 2 yrs from the first and the 3rd was about 18 mths from the 2nd.  the showers aren't just about gifts... its celebrating you and your baby!  ok, maybe a little about the gifts too!
I've never heard of having a 2nd shower...but then again, now-a-days, you can do whatever you want. Is there a reason for another shower? What do you need that you don't have?
I've heard of a 'sprinkle' where you get little things that you may need....like new washcloths...etc...
Around here, second showers are usually only seen when the mom wasn't expecting another child and gave away all the baby things, or sometimes if there is a long gap of time between the last baby and the new one (and presumably stuff is gone or obsolete) or sometimes in the event of a mom who is really in need.  
I personally think it is too much to ask of your friends and family to keep buying you things BUT that is my personal feeling.  I had a shower last year and when I become pregnant again I would not want or ask for another shower just because everyone was so nice to be the first time around.  I also would not want to be invited to a shower for someone 2 years after I already purchased them a gift.  I am a very good gift giver especially with babies.  I always spend at least $100 on baby shower gifts and of course when baby #2 comes to that same person I always show up at the house with a gift for new baby after birth but another shower.  No Way!  

I heard of something called sprinkles - just a little gatherine of immidiate family not everyone you know just having a little get together with gift for new baby.  No registry or anything like that - I think that is cute.  But I would never purchase a $100 swing for someone and then want to purchase another $100 swing 2 years later.... Save the one I got for you the first time around - I saved everything I have - and boxes too.

Good luck in whatever you choose and have fun!
I asked not to have a second shower, since my daughter was born 27 months ago, and I am having another girl. I didn't want to burden anyone or make them feel obligated to get me something. After saying all that, one of my good friends offered to throw one, but then was unable to do it. My mom stepped in (even when I told her she didn't need to) and will be throwing me one this weekend. We celebrate every little thing here, so it is not uncommon to have multiple showers for multiple pregnancies. I guess it depends on where you are and how you personally feel about it. If you want to, go for it. If not, have a smaller gathering, perhaps w/ family/friends after the baby is born, to celebrate their coming into the world.
I don't feel that it would be inappropriate, especially when someone else is offering to throw the shower for you.  Others do want to celebrate your baby.  You could have it stated that you only need things like diapers etc.  I don't agree with saying you wouldn't want to buy someone a gift only two years later.  No one expects their shower goers to spend $100 on them.  It is just a time of celebrating your pregnancy and if others are excited to do that with you, why need to factor in how long it has been since your last child.  What if you are having a child of the opposite sex? Many purchase clothes for a shower which could be much needed if you didn't have a boy or girl previously.  Also I feel it is not about how in need the mother is anyway.  Is everyone we buy Christmas presents for in need?  Gifts are about celebration and generosity.  Not deciding whether the recipient is worthy or deserving of them.  Just my opinion.  But anyway, congratulations and good luck with everything.
I dont think there is anything wrong with a second shower.I had my dd's 8 yrs apart so I had a second shower.But my SIL's have had babies months in between & I've also gone to there showers.I agree if you have the swing,bouncer,carseat,stroller,etc.Then just use that one.But a shower (I think) is a celebration of that new little person or family member that will soon be born.I have a 11 wk baby girl & plan on TTC in a couple of months.EVERYTHING she has is pink....so if I have a BOY do he use the pink stuff? LOL,I of course would buy the stuff needed.But honestly if I had no shower I would feel bad...not for the gifts,but for the celebration of the new adittion.

I have also heard of food showers.Were at the last wks of pregnancy.You have a shower were everyone brings pre made food.That will be frozen,for after baby comes...LIFE/TIME SAVER.

And nor I or my guest have ever spent close to or more than $100 dollars.Unless its my sis or sil.I was thankful for a onsie or paci.Or just dinner or makeover bf baby just close friends?
BTW,cantwait4baby,can I have your address to RSVP you to my next shower...lol.J/K
I have wondered about this too-  I had my DD almost 3 years ago now...  I got a lot of stuff at the first shower, but there were things that we borrowed for the first baby too that we had to give back and are now not available... i.e.  I borrowed a swign from a friend, but her SIL had 2 babies since then and she has the swing now... SO... I don't have a swing... same thing with a moses basket,  we borrowed one from a military neighbor who has since moved away... I LOVED that thing...  everything else we have,  but a friend of mine is throwing a shower (she offered to) and so I did a small registry just with some BLUE bathing things, towels, blankets and a swing (not an expensive one) and a moses basket...  that is really all that is on it,  not even enough stuff for everyone who is being invited to the shower to pick from... but we are having a boy this time around... so...  it has me wondering if any of my friends will be offended-  where I came from we had them for every baby... no matter what... but I think things are different here in Texas...  and cantwait has me worried that some of my friends will be offended...  I have saved EVERYTHING... even ALL of her clothes,  which I am not gathering and taking to good will and baby re-sale shops, since I won't need them....  but I have all ALL (my husband wishes I hadn't kept EVERYTHING)---  he hates the boxes in the garage!! :)  but I still need a few things... not to mention you usually have to do a new nursary for the new baby... don't you... so you need things for that... right??  
oops... I meant "which I am NOW gathering"...  not which I am not gathering... sorry...
You are entitled to another shower, because this time around you will be having a boy. I doubt that any of your friends will be offended.
Thanks... that makes me feel a little better...  I went into my registry after this post and "weeded" it out...  :)