Maternal & Child Community
2nd miscarriage in a row

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2nd miscarriage in a row

I am devastated by the loss of my second pregnancy which occurred exactly the same way as my last miscarriage. I missed my period, took a home test, which was positive, and then one to two weeks later, experienced cramping and bleeding to only get a sonogram which showed no fetus. This time, however, I found fetal tissue but it wasn't until three days after the sonogram--which had shown nothing in my uterus.

I'm an otherwise healthy person. No major health problems. I have a son age 3--that was a pretty much uneventful pregnancy until the 7th month when I started having early contractions and was assigned to bed rest. Still, I carried him full term.

My husband and I always envisioned a family with two children. My toddler has been asking for a little sister/brother. We're both devastated by this loss. I feel like a failure as a woman and I'm angry that my body seems to be giving out on me so soon.

My question is, given the early loss of both pregnancies, what should I be looking for?? Has anyone experienced this same kind of thing?

Signed,
melancholy
I did and it had to do with blood clotting. I was put on asprin for the first trimester. I would talk to your doctor. I am so very sorry for your loss and pray that you get your miracle soon.

I had two m/c last year that were exactly like yours but that does not mean the same thing happened.

Good luck and god bless
Christine
Thank you for your kind words Christine. And for the information too. I will be sure to raise it and advocate testing for it when I meet with my doctor this week. I'm glad such a simple solution helped you!

I just wanted to say i am so sorry for you losses. I know what  its lik to loose a baby .I to had a m/c at 11 weeks in dec,03.  I just wanted to tell you that i will keep you and your DH in my thoughts and prayers. I pray go will give you a baby very soon.
Dawnna
I am so sorry to hear of your losses. I have had those mystery m/c's as well. My doctor performed several tests to find that I need projesterone to help the pregnancy along. Once I found out I was pregnant this time, I started using the progesterone cream I found in a Vitamin store immediately. Even before i went to the doctor for confirmation of the positive pregnancy. DH was upset since I have a history of ectopics, he thought I could help it so much that my tube could burst, but I thought one week (while waiting to see the doc and get results) wouldnt hurt. Now I am 26 weeks along. Now, i am not saying I made the right or wrong decision, but its what I did.
Talk to your doctor and get some tests done so the problem can be found.
I wish you the very best. YOu have one child, so you know you can have another, just need a little help with this one...thats all:)
HI hon, Boy can I empathasize.  I have had 7 miscarriages, all after a healthy pregnancy. Almost all of my miscarriages were in the early weeks.  (I did have one about 13 weeks conjoined twins).  The others were all before 9 weeks.  Tell your Dr.  that you want an APA panel, lupus test and 3 day FSH test.  Also you might want to ask for an antilipid test.  I had all of these.  Unfortuantely (or fortunatley) there was nothing abnormal about these.  I've had iui's and ivf's all to no avail, but here is something that might give you hope.  I am pregnant now, we saw the heartbeat at 6w1d and I go on Wednsday (7w1d) hopefully to see an even stronger heartbeat.  So there is hope.  Don't be too cruel to your body, sometimes there is just nothing in our power to do.  Also ask your Dr. about taking progestrone injections from the minute you test positve,  I have used the suppositories in the past but no luck, I feel better using the injections.  GOod luck and remember your not alone.  Talk to you soon. Blessings Lynn
How you are feeling is COMPLETELY normal. I too have had two losses, and I too am an otherwise healthy woman.

Just a few words of wisdom I have learned from my own experience: Your grief is your grief. Don't let anyone tell you how soon you should "be over it". Take as much time as you need to mourn your losses.

Also, your husband experienced the losses as well, talk to him. ASk him how he feels regularly. He will appreciate that you understand it's not just happening to you. Your sadness is his sadness too.

And most Dr's will make you wait until you have had at lest 3 m/c's before they do any testing. If you want them sooner, insist.

Best of luck to you and your family and I hope you get your second child soon!
Yes don't get discouraged there is still hope. I agree have your doctor run some test for you. I had three miscarriages in a row all early- before 12 weeks. I too just like someone else on here all the test came back normal but the decided to put me on progesterone right away with my fourth pregnancy and I finally had my beautiful baby girl! I am 13 weeks pregnant now and again they put me on progesterone right away. I think of the progesterone as a god send...My doctor told me after my third ultra sound he thought it might be a chromozone problem and may not be able to have childern because of it. I was devastated. So of course that was the first test my husband and I tested for and it came back normal!!! I was so excited. I just wanted to let you know there is hope and not to give up I was where you were at 2 1/2 years ago and I remember how heart wrenching it was. I was so depressed. But I just want to let you know to keep your hopes up they can do so many things now a days to help us have a baby! Keep us updated.