Maternal & Child Community
3 Weeks Pregnant and Bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

3 Weeks Pregnant and Bleeding

I am 3 weeks pregnant and have started bleeding it is bright red and I am cramping but there are no clots. The bleeding started on the exact date that my next period was due, Can someone please tell me what this means?
Have you had your pregnancy confirmed? i had a m/c in april i was 5 weeks preg when my bleeding started there was no clots just bright red blood after a day the bleeding stopped then about a week later started again.
I am sorry to hear that you had a m/c yes my pregnancy was confirmed by two different doctors. I had my HCG Levels tested last week and they were 69, I am going this evening again to have them tested. Will the bleeding affect the HCG Levels?
I'm so sorry.

I lost 3 babies in 2006 and my first m/c was similar.  I was bleeding bright red for 2-3 days with cramping and then the clots started.

Hopefully you'll receive good new when they read your HCG results for today.

The test will be able to confirm if you are indeed miscarrying as the HCG level will be less than 69.

Mine was 69 with my first m/c and then in 2 days dropped to 21.....

I'm sorry, hopefully you'll have better results than I did.
Does the bleeding always mean miscarriage or is there a chance it is something else
There is a chance it's something else.  Many many women bleed with pregnancy.

My mom bled her entire pregnancy with me.

I have two children and I never bled during those pregnancies...so for me blood is a bad thing....

But many people on this board have proven differently.

I wish you much luck and blessings.
the only way your hcg levels will drop is if you have miscarried hopefully fingers crossed you might just be one of the few people that do bleed during pregnancy gud luck.
The bleeding has stopped now it is only there when I wipe so it lasted for about 36 hours but it was lighter than a normal period as well
That is a good sign.....

Please keep us posted....Many prayers for you and your little one.
Sorry I know I must be irritating if my Hcg Levels are up does this mean my baby is Ok?
Your HCG levels can still rise and you still be miscarrying....My 3rd loss my levels kept rising but the baby had passed away....it went on for weeks like that...very heartbreaking....

But...if they double and continue to double it will be a good sign.  Make sure you tell your Dr you had been bleeding, so they'll know to do a 3rd test to be sure.

Also, if the levels are high enough I believe around 2000...they can do a vaginal u.s to see if they see anything....

Good Luck
Bleeding during pregnancy is never a good sign.  Of the 25% of women that bleed while pregnant, half of those go on to have a miscarriage and the chances of a miscarriage increase if the bleeding is more than "spotting", accompanied by cramps and/or clots.  

I want to prepare you for the fact that its possible you are experiencing a chemical pregnancy.  This is when a women has a very early miscarriage and in many cases wouldnt even know they are pregnant because they are very early on into the pregnancy and bleed about the time their period is due (so mistaken the bleeding for a period).
I hope that is not the case but I will go to the ER tonight because the bleeding has now started again.
How far along do you have to be to see anything on a scan?
I believe it depends on how high your hcg is....i saw both of my children at 5.5 weeks with a heartbeat....but my HCG levels at the time were well over 7000
yes bleeding is not a very good sighn in pregnancy. the first 3 months are very hesitent with misscarges .i would worry if its more than just spoting a couple times a day with a whole lot of cramps.

i spotted 5-6 mo into my pregnency. my baby is very healthy
I was told that you could see on a scan a heartbeat at 7 weeks, but as someone above said, it depends on your hcg levels.  
My Hcg Levels have gone down to 40.9 is it possible that there could have been twins and I miscarried one?
I'm sorry, but it's always possible.

I'd probably prepare yourself for the other.

Have that decided if they would do another HCG test?
I am going on Thursday for another test, otherwise how long after a miscarriage does it take to conceive again?
You can conceive as soon as you are ready, however Drs usually suggest 1-2 cycles.
I would always suggest at least 1 full period before trying again.
Thank You very much for all your help
i bled at 8 weeks, 9 weeks and 18 weeks...first 2 times were because of an STI i did not know about as well as stress and third time was unexplained...good luck... you are very lucky to have found out at 3 weeks.. at 3 weeks pg i had an ultrasound and nothing was detected..at 6 weeks i found out by an hpt which took 2 weeks to turn positive.. 2 weeks after my expected period...
And did the baby survive? What were your HCG Levels?