Maternal & Child Community
3 month old sleeping and eating habits
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

3 month old sleeping and eating habits

Hi everyone!
I have a 3 month old baby girl and she is still not sleeping well through the night.
I have a GF who has a baby girl aswell who is 4 months and she says her baby sleeps 8 hours a night and she is breastfeeding.  I am formula feeding.

My BF's mother says she should be sleeping through the night now aswell and that she should be eating 6 to 8 oz of formula, but she only takes 3 - 4.

I know every baby is different, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help her sleep longer ot eat more....
Related Discussions
13 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
284738_tn?1283110419
my daughter is 3 months as well and i put her to bed at 9 30 and then she wakes up at 2 wanting a bottle and she eats 4 ounces every 4-5 hours  
Blank
281603_tn?1229315281
my daugther is nine weeks old and she sleeps through the night and only eat 3-4 oz depends if she's sleepy or not.  My daughter suck her binky like she always hungry, I am formula feeding too so I'm testing this weeks a faster slow nipples.  It seems to be working.  I would suggest next pediatrician visit talk to dr and tell him your concern cus a friend my mine was having the same problem with feeding and the dr suggest mixing some baby cereal with the formula.
Blank
136689_tn?1333573136
My son did't sleep through the night until he was 6 months old and he was on formula, a baby will sleep through the night when they are ready to.
Blank
187316_tn?1386360282
My daughter is 10 months and still doesn't sleep through the night. Like misslollipop said they will sleep through the night when they are ready. My daughter eats about 6 ounces every feeding but she is a snacker so even getting her to drink that in one sitting is hard but she is EXTREMELY healthy. Every baby is different and will do things at their own pace.
Blank
284738_tn?1283110419
oh and i also wanted to say dont compare your baby to any other baby you will drive yourself crazy! Your baby will grow at the speed he/ she decides too! like alaysha said every baby is different! As long as you baby is consistantly gaining weight she/he will be fine
Blank
DD is over 2 and still wakes up at least twice at night.  I hope it's not your case but she'll sleep when she's ready to sleep through the night.
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
There is no reason a baby that young is in any way "expected" to sleep through the night.  Also, don't put cereal in the bottle.  It is an aspiration risk and it doesn't make a baby sleep longer.  Also, keep in mind that the doctor definition of sleeping through the night is a pretty short night, like 5 hours or something.  Good luck!
Blank
6-8 oz for a 3 month old no no no! thats  alot. its good that if she does but its still alot. my son hated formula and the most he drank was 6 oz. and he drinks only 5 now
Blank
660775_tn?1225077505
ive been breast feeding my 3 month old and she seems to be hungry an hour later. I can't keep up with her snacking. It 's just not feasible. Today I started pumping and giving her exclusively the bottle. She usually has a bottle a day and it takes her forever to eat just 2 ounces. I practically had to force feed her 2.5 ounces today. I've tried letting her cry but it just makes her even more upset and then she won't eat anything at all. Plus I just can't stand the thought of my 3 month old crying for that long for a basic need.??  She seems to be growing ok. Everyone comments on how small she is though. She seems satisfied after only a few minutes on the breast. When I pump I only get an ounce from each side. I'm going crazy with no life and no routine. I'm a cow!
Any help would be appreciated.
Blank
284738_tn?1283110419
try increasing her amount little by little... each bottle had just a little bit more .. it will help to gradually stretch her belly and then she will be able to go longer
Blank
Thank you ladies!  
Blank
124958_tn?1223950159
6-8 ounces is a lot for a 3 month old baby. My daughter is 3 1/2 months and she only drinks between 3 and 4 ounces every 2-3 hours and at night she wakes up twice. She goes to sleep at 9 and wakes up at 2am and at 6am. Your baby is doing fine. Don't worry what other people tell you. As long as she is healthy. We have to have patience for that moment to come where we can sleep our 8 hours.
Blank
2043612_tn?1330015580
Until the past 2 weeks, my 3 month old was only eating 2-4oz at a time, but sleeping through the night. I tried to wake her up to feed her and she wouldn't budge at all. I was worried because according to the 2.5 rule, she wasn't eating enough since she was over 10lbs at her 1 month appt. All of a sudden, she started eating 5-8oz at every feeding and sleeps for 8-9 hours at night. I feed her at 3, 7, and 11. The only thing I can say is that the day I decided to put her on a schedule is the first day she slept through the night... At the same time, some moms are highly against having a eating and sleeping schedule.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...