Maternal & Child Community
3 white dots boy or girl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

3 white dots boy or girl

hi i just went for my 14 half weeks ultrasound my first and well i asked her if she could tell me if its a girl or boy and she said not right now more during 18-20 weeks is a better time and then i got some ultrasound pictures and brought it home to show my boyfriend that would of just got home from work and he noticed these 3 white dots and he said their are the balls and the penis thats how the dots were positioned 1 white dot and then their is under it 2 white dots but ive been reading that dots or lines mean its a girl but yet i dont know i think my boyfriend might be right i would just like to know what you guys think it is.. I get the find out Sep 20th but i cant wait lol .. im excited ill be happy whether its a boy or girl their will be no different love.. but i just also want to know if thats happened to any of you were you seen 3 white dots positioned like that and what it ended up being.. it would be great thanks also for reading this appreciate your time !! everyone pregnant out there goodluck and best wishes thanks again.
I got my u/s at 13 weeks and the white dots were definitely a girl. The technician said it was her labia. I've since had more u/s and yep, it's still a girl. Gosh I know how you feel..can't wait to know... good luck!!
14 weeks is very early, I'm not sure you can even tell that early honestly. Also, I doubt that the dots are the babies testicles if it is a boy. The testicles don't drop for a while still. Its probably wise to wait until your 18-20 week u/s to get a better answer. Remember you've got a 50/50 chance eitehr way.
Yikes, I don't know if I would speculate :) If 3 dots meant boy, I'm sure the tech would say "Those 3 dots are a sign of a boy" :)
I had an u/c at 13 weeks and there was 3 white lines/dots and the dr said it was a girl. I went last week at 17 weeks and the white lines were still there and they said definitely a girl. She gave me a picture of her girly parts. But 14 weeks is early.
3 white "lines" usually mean a girl. I've never heard of "dots" they always say lines and and when it's a girl it will represent how a cheesburger looks! I wouldn't try to figure it out, if they could see it they would've said something. A lot of times you notice things on u/s's that are just "there" and mean absolutely nothing! You're just gonna have to wait it out! And most ppl will go more by the heartbeat and swear that a girls is higher and boys is lower. My girls have always been higher and boys have been lower but this is not a sure way to tell, or else they wouldn't have the need for an u/s to detect what the sex is. But hey it's fun guessing!
its very early yet to distinguish on part from another so i would wait til at least 18 weeks to get psyched up for one sex or another.
Thanks everyone... yeah i know im just seeing what ppl are saying and thinking it is cuz those 3 dots are very very clear white and as white as they can be.. Soo i was more just really curious to see if anyone ever had that happen on their ultrasound and what it happened to be.. at 14 half weeks yeah i do admit its really early and they dont want to tell you unless they are really sure..But.. Im hopeing for either i would like a girl but if its a boy ill be just as happy because then him and my other son of 14 weeks will be very close in age and will probably but very close to eachother..but i really wanna hear what ppl have to say about this 3 dots thing cuz it might of happened to other ppl and its nice to read other ppl stories and what they thing but thanks everyone...
Lol Awweee Thats funny but cute cuz your going to be able to tell your daughter that when she gets older and shes just going to have a good laught !..  Those times are special. Yeah I know im early and I just thoght like i said see whats with the dots. lol but yeah im going to wait like you said for my next ultrasound whats one more month but thank you sooo much for sharing that story with me it was cute i laught made me smile anyways ! thanks again !! boy or girl im happy to be a mom for the 2nd time ! :):)
my ultrasound tech with all my pregnancies said 3 lines/dots for boy 4 lines dots for girl all mine were girls all had the 3 lines there so i dunno
Dots are a girl like everyone else said.  

At my 19 week ultrasound she first announced it was a girl by saying, "I see three dots" and my husband was like, "Um.  Dots?  Am I supposed to know what that means?" (Though he didn't actually say it outloud he told me later in the car, he just acted like he knew what it meant!  Then, she said, "It's a girl!"

It's really early to know for sure at this point, though.  You are probably having a girl, but I'd wait to tell people until you have your next ultrasound.
and i GEt to find out on september 20th whether its a girl or boy so come back sometime after then and I will let you girls know if it was a girl or a boy if it interests you.. and see what they say when i ask them what the 3 white dots are and ill let you girls know thanks again !!!
My cousin is a ultrasonographer and she said if it looks like a cheeseburger...three lines..then it is a girl, but if it looks like a turtle then it is a boy....so who knows.  I had three lines and she told me very early in my pregnancy..around the same time you are asking and I had a girl!
at 13 weeks, my daughter was a boy, then at 18 weeks she was a girl, and alas she is a girl who loves to climb, collect rocks, and play in the dirt. my point is that the three dots could be either at this stage.  enjoy whatever you get.
I can't think of the name of it now, but there is a baby website that has ultrasound pictures at different stages of pregnancy.  Maybe you could find one that looks similar to yours and make a good guess from that?

Because I had looked at that website prior to my first ultrasound, I knew the 3 lines and turtle indicators.  As SOON as the technician placed the wand on my belly.......crotch shot with 3 lines!  I immediately said "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!"  She said I was 99.9% correct!  (I was 17.5 weeks at the time)

Sorry I can't remember the name of the website!
Amy
At my nuchal level II sono I was told they saw three dots.  The absence of a penis doesn't mean a boy, the three dots are usually an early indicator or a girl. It's the labia and such.
They told me they weer 80% sure.  A few weeks later I had to have an amnio and it was confirmed that she was indeed a girl.
Good luck and congrats.
HI-  I've never been on this site before but I stumbled on  your post and I am in your same situation!  I had U/S done at 16 weeks last week and Dr would not speculate on gender yet.  He pointed U/S wand between legs of baby and I could see three white dots, but they were not in line with each other.  They were like a triangle, I guess.  One was farther out than the other 2.  I go back on Sept 19 for 20 week scan (have an ov. cyst they are keeping an eye on).  I am so curious of the sex of our baby only because I already have two beautiful girls, one 4 yrs and one 9 mo. U/S done on my other girls were much later in pregnancy so there was no discrepancy. So, I've been trying to compare what I saw to other people's ultrasound pictures and have heard that 3 dots mean girl, but maybe that means they have to be in line with each other? Were the "dots" you saw all in line?  Good luck! we can compare notes toward the end of Sept.
Based on studies I've read, 14 weeks is not too early to tell the sex.  The liability lies on the tech performing the ultrasound (which is why they hesitate if they are not absolutely sure.)  I learned I was a having a boy at 13 weeks with my first child and a girl at 15 weeks with my current pregnancy.  Comparing the ultrasound photos, the images of my children are very different.  But then again my tech spent a sufficient amount of time verifying the sex organs both times.  Following ultrasounds have also confirmed that the tech was correct.  It all just depends on teh person performing the ultrasound.
Hi, i stumbled on this page some time ago as i was due to have a scan to find out the sex of my baby (i already have 2 boys) and keep coming back to see what you're having, but im not sure if this is the right page to find out as i keep coming to the same place with no new info. So please let me know. About the 3 dots, they are usually a girl, i had the 3 dots and found out last month that i am having a little girl due early Feb! Good luck and let us know.   :-)
Sorry, but probably the only way to find out what the original poster had was to be on the site in August of '06.  These posts are from then, and it is possible those posters aren't writing actively on the site any more.  The older threads can come up when there is a word search that brings them out of the archives.  Good luck with your little girl!  My boy was born in January, and I like winter babies.  There is something really snug about cuddling up in bed on a snowy day with a baby.
Thanks for that, i took such an interest as i thought i was finding out a day before TASHA560, i didn't even realise that this was from last year until you replied, how silly do i feel? My 2 boys were born in winter, i live in Australia though so my girl will be a summer baby. At my visit to the mid-wife yesterday one of my questions was "what do i dress a summer baby in?" i am so used to rugging babies up, and this one is due in the hottest part of the year. Thanks for eplying, i would never of known, it's hard when something intrigues you so much to not find out the answer, but i guess i'll live. Thanks again
On both my kids, they both had three white dots and they were both little girls.
Im in my 19th week and just had my second ultrasound and there they were, the there white dots....The tech sd it's a 70% chance that it's a girl!!!
I don't think at 14 weeks the testicles have descended yet so I doubt they would show up on the ultrasound that early.
I realize this original post was a year ago, but I found it to be very helpful.  I had a 13 week sonogram & they found 3 round circles....in the shape of a triangle.  My sonographer said she was fairly certain it was a girl (swollen labia).  I just had the gender sono at 17 weeks & the 3 dots are now 3 lines....it's definitely a girl!  I compared my sonogram pics to those of my son's & there's a huge difference.  For a boy at 13 weeks, you can already see the sack as a large circular mass with a smaller oval on top.  It truly does look like a turtle.  I think if there are 3 circles, lines, ovals, etc, it will most likely be a girl.  Thanks for all the help!!!
I guess she knows what her baby  is by now!!! lol i think 3 lines indicate a girl though. thats how they could tell with mine.
WOW!!!  I have had 4 babies and never knew about any of this info!  Although, I never had the reason to have an early u/s though either.  I am excited that if we ever have a 5th baby, that I will know that much more:)  My 4th will be 2 years old next May, so maybe after then...
Just had my 20wk (but am actually at 21 1/2 weeks) on Monday. She (ultasonographer) told me my baby was a girl bc of three lines, but then said that earlier in the ultrasound thought she has seen sometihng else but "she guessed it was the umbilical chord". Hummm.... should I be worried?
so annoyed! I had an u/s done at 15wks 2 days that I paid for specifically to find out the gender and one of the pics is of 3 circles in the shape of a triangle so according to people on here that means girl, but the tech said I'm having a boy. even before I found this page I didn't believe here, call it mothers instinct or something I just felt like I was having a girl this time. anyway gotta wait til Sep 9th for my other u/s, hopefully this one tells me girl!! at least I will know I'm not crazy
Does anyone know whether Tacha560 ended up having a boy or a girl?
I just had my ultrasound at 18 wks 2 days.  We did not want to find out.  But looking at the ultrasound on dvd, there is a spot between the legs that look like 3 dots.  But in a triangle.  With the middle one sticking out further.  Everyone that has watched it with us says it looks like a boy.  But compared to my 2 yr old sons ultrasound, it looks nothing like his boy parts did.... Any suggestions on what you think it is?
http://imgur.com/NjHll

i am also confused about this 15 weeks scan, boy or girl?
i am 16 week pregnant and on my 12 week scan i have 3 white dots in the shape of a traingle on the baby! i am really hoping for a girl as i already have a 3 boys, but what will be will be :) xx
i am 18 wks and some odd days and i went in for my gender reveal on 1-21-14 and i was told mine is a girl, i asked how she could be sure and she told me to look at the 3 white dots and said that means it's a girl. however i've been reading online that the 3 dots are the 1st stages of a boy, so now i'm worried because the tech said she was certain 100% so we went and started buying girl stuff, we go back on the 4th od feb and i will have another u/s (they need a better look at the heart & spine) so we'll see if she is still correct lol. best of luck to you.