Maternal & Child Community
30 weeks with protein in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

30 weeks with protein in urine

Hello ladies, so I just got back from my 30 weeks appointment and Dr. told me that small amount of protein was found in my urine. He informed me that it was a small amount, but if the numbers go up during my next appointment in two weeks, it is a sign of kidney failure (my kidney) and they would have to take Veronika right away. Any of you had small amount of protein and it did not increase? I am not fricking out, but want to make sure I get things ready if this should happen.
They don't just go by protein in the urine.  If it increases, they SHOULD do some blood tests for preeclampsia first.
He did not mention that at all. Have you had something like that?
I looked up preclampsia and I now know why he did not mention that. I do not have high bllod pressure or swelling or sudden weight gain. Just the protein.I only gained 1lbs in the last two weeks, blood pressure 60/110.
I had protein in my urine, it started at 28 weeks with my DS. I also started getting high blood pressure too. The first thing they told me, was preclampsia too! And told me to look out for some swelling, if this happens to call them or go to ER. In my family, kidney disease is very genectic. They are monitoring me already, they are alittle worried about my background! So, I hope it all turns out ok for you!! I'm sorry sweetie!
The #1 cause of protein in the urine is first and foremost, a contaminated urine (collected perhaps got some vag discharge in it, very very common).  Sometimes a bladder infection will show some protein, too.
The next most common thing is preeclampsia.  Sometimes proteinuria is the first sign.  You may develop increased bp or swelling later, or not at all.  They typically check your platelets, uric acid, and liver enzymes for this condition.  

It would be rare for you to just have your kidneys fail.
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.
I would not let my doctor induce me without further testing.  Maybe your doctor was careless in talking to you and just didn't mention that further testing would happen.  A small amount of protein is very common and actually pretty normal.  But your doctor kind of scares me with what he said to you.  I'm happy you got the other replies.  Please go into your next appointment aware that your doctor is maybe not going to do what is actually best.  I'm not trying to say anything about your doctor, but he was careless in how he talked to you.  There was no reason to scare you like that, and even if they do find protein next time there could be a reason for it that doesn't involve you delivering quite prematurely.

You should be aware of the warning signs, as it is a very serious condition.  But your doctor seems to be a little too "cautious" if you ask me.  I would not agree to deliver that early if they only found protein.
I agree with who-dis, My urin test came out with traces of protein, but a retest after a few days had nil. It was probably due to the fact that, while collecting the first sample I had very less flow and had to collect from the start of the flow.

Next time I made sure to have good amount in my bladder and collected the mid flow and it turned out fine.Vaginal discharge interefere with the result more often.