Maternal & Child Community
31w Ultrasound Results: Small Hole in Heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Today I am 31w0d and we had an ultrasound this morning.  Our doctor specializes in prenatal diagnostics and does the ultrasounds herself and is really good.  Well, this morning she found a little hole (muscular ventricular septal defect)in the babys heart.  She said that it measures about 1.3mm and that is very small.  I have had one ultrasound per month and she said that the fact that it is just now showing on the ultrasound means that it is pretty small...  She also said that quite often holes of this size arent even detected until after birth.

From what I have read, this kind of defect (when small) most often goes away on its own during the child's first year and usually doesnt require surgery.

Just wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with this???????
If so, please share!

Thanks!
hi there my son had a hole in his heart very small they reefed to it as a musical murmur we only found out about it when he had a blue spell when he was 5 week old hes three and doing fine he had a u/s of his heart and brain and a cat scan and hes totally fine today not sure if its the same as what may be happening with you but i will keep you and your little one in my thoughts that all will be just fine if your Dr is saying that its not usually detected until birth and it usually goes away on its own then she s probably right and every thing will be ok keep us posted on how you are doing
my son also had a vsd when he was born he only weighed 4.9 lb. they said that played a major part in it. the extra weight gain would of given him the extra fat to close it. they thought the whole time that i was having a 8lb baby. then when they came out they were so wrong. we were so blessed that it closed by it self at 6 month.

on the other hand my best friends son went to the hopital for rsv when they started listening to him the thought maybe he had a murmur. well after ultrasound they found he also had a vsd unfort. it did not close he began to loose weight very fast turned blue one night and was air lifte dto the er. where he was is congestive heart failure!! they went in to fix the vsd and found a total mess inside his heart cavity. he ended up having 2 open heart surgery in 10 days. that was 1 year ago yesterday. and today he is great. so please make sure that you have a good doctor and you ask as many questions as want and that you can think of. never settle for the " we'll have to waite and see" remark!!!!!  so good luck to
Thanks to all of you... !!

My mother (who's a nurse) told me that my brother (born in 78) also had a heart murmer when he was born which most likely was also due to a small hole like VSD.  She said that it was gone within one month and it wasnt even necessary for them to go to ped. cardiologist. My mother said that sometimes these things can even close before the birth but if it is still there when she is born, most likely will go away on its own...

Our next appointment is 4 weeks from today so as long as the hole doesn't measure bigger next time, I hope there is not too much to worry about.  To be on the safe side though, we will make an appointment then too with the pediatric cardiologist, who my dr recommended, to find out a little more so that we are well-informed.  My doctor said that the cardiologist will want to see the baby within a week after birth so it is good when we have already met the cardiologist.

I like your screenname:)  Anyway, my brother was actually born with a hole in his heart that they were planning on operating on.  This was about 34 years ago, so I'm not sure if today it would have been caught on an unltrasound or not, but they found it when he was born.  It ended up closing by itself before surgery was done.  I have heard that it's pretty common, and my mom said the dr's weren't too concerned back then...about 35 years later, imagine how much farther along they have come.  I pray that it all works out, and I have definite hope that all will be fine.  
My daughter was born the VSD and a couple of ASD.  They were tiny and did not require surgery.  I don't remember the size.  She is ten now.  The VSD fixed itself around age 5 and the ASD holes are still there but you would never know she had a heart problem.  We went to the ped. heart specialist every coulple of months when she was born and then it went to every 6 months, then every year and when we went back a couple of months ago he put us on every 2 years unless we think she needs to go in sooner.  Good luck to you!
All I have to say is be very careful when it comes to a hole in the herat. My Daughter is 24 yrs. old and just had a bad Stroke, I found out that it was because of a hole in her heart that I never knew about.