Maternal & Child Community
34 weeks....Strong mestrual like cramps??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 34 1/2 weeks and the past week or so I've noticed some pretty strong menstrual like cramping in my lower abdomen and it radiates to my lower back.  I don't notice any regularity to them and they only last a few minutes.  For some reason they tend to be stronger while I'm laying in bed at night.  Does anyone know if these are contractions?  I've been experiencing BH and they don't feel the same.  In fact when I get the cramps I don't notice my stomach hardening at all.  Could it possibly be the weight of the baby?
Avatar n tn
I am currently 37 weeks and I have been getting the same cramps for a few weeks now. I am not sure what they mean, if anything.
Avatar n tn
I'm 32 wks and i've been getting the cramps in my abdomen, i wasn't worried at first and thought it was bh but i have a few throughout the day everyday for the past 3 or 4 days. And it doesn't really feel like my abdomen is 'tightening up' but just feels like cramps to me, but they're not consistant...
I'm sure they are just braxonhicks (sp?) contractions.  The uterus is practicing and getting ready for delivery.  But, I would go ahead and mention them to my Doc.
I had strong menstrual like cramps in early labor and they do go from your back to your belly.  Could be your body stretching or getting ready, but I would call your nurse and tell her about them, could just as easily be early labor, but you can be like that for weeks.  It's good that your belly is not tightening too, but I would just mention it to them and call if you start to see a pattern.  Just think, you are in the home stretch, congrats!
Avatar n tn
Thanks, I really didn't think it was true labor.  Just curious if it was common or not.  I have an appt. on Thursday so I'll mention it to her then and see what she says.
As far as in your back...I had a lot of labor in my back when prego before. So it could still be part of BH.  Mention it to your Doc.  You may want to try one of those belly belt supports.  Maybe that would take some strain off your back.
im 34 weeks in im having bad cramps n my stomach n im throw up n i don no wat to do at all dis my 3rd pregnant