36 weeks & no vaginal exam?
I changed doctors at 5 months & my new OB has never done a vaginal exam or ultrasound.  I didn't mention anything until i went in for my 36 week check up today and the doctor didnt mention doing a vaginal exam until week 38.  (He also asked me to perform my own strep test in the office bathroom).  I went into the ER about 2 weeks ago with some spotting (they told me it was dehydration) but they did mention i wasnt dialted but 40% effaced.  Is it normal for my OB to not perform a vaginal exam this late into my pregnancy?  
Most doctors perform the second one at around 36 weeks.  It's somewhat baffling that the doctor has not done this because the vaginal exams are needed so that the doctors can be prepared to provide you with antibiotics if there is a need for them during delivery.  I would definitely mention this because the exam needs to happen prior to you giving birth.  
Vaginal exams can put you into labor.  This happened to my sister-n-law.  That is why my doctor would not authorize a vaginal exam when I went to the Hospital to have fetal monitoring.  

It bothers me too that they do not perform more, but I know after each and every exam I bleed and have really bad cramps.  I haven't had one since they performed my pap smears at the beginning of my pregnancy, and because I was spotting at 12 weeks, they did a vaginal exam to make sure my cervix was still closed.  When you had your u/s they should have checked your cervix length then as well.  

What type of tests did her ask you to perform in the bathroom?
I didnt have my first exam until 37 weeks, they skipped 38 weeks and had another at 39 weeks.  I also had not had an ultrasound since 18 weeks.  That is pretty normal.  
Its not uncommon not to have a vaginal exam just to find out how far you are dilated, but I would have to say it is FAR, FAR out of the ordinary to ask a woman to do her own Strep B test.  
How do they know you really did it?  How do they know you did it right?  

Its like giving you a swab, slide, and a speculum and telling you to do your own pap smear.  
my dr started doing them every week at 35wks, but I've seen others post that their dr do not.  

I didn't have have to do my own strep b test but they did do a urine test and not a swab test.