Maternal & Child Community
37 weeks induction???????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

37 weeks induction???????????

I will be 37 weeks Thursday and my doctor says that we will set a date for next week to induce..... I want to induce this week, like Friday due to my hubbys work schedule...... do you think this is to early? Im just wondering if this is an appropriate question to ask my doctor..... 37 weeks is full term sooooo what would it hurt and if he was planning to take him like Monday or Tuesday then whats a few days???
They won't generally induce someone at 37 weeks, unless there is a serious medical indication.  You can ask, but he probably won't do it.  The reason is that while of course, most 37 weekers do just fine, there are a portion who have more problems than infants born at or after 38 weeks.  They can often feed poorly, have problems with temp regulation, and blood sugar issues.

Most hospitals have policies that won't even allow an elective induction prior to 38 weeks.  The earlier an induction is done, the higher the incidence of needing a C/S, too.  The cervix is a complex thing, and it relies on a variety of signals sent by the body in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy to soften and "ripen" for labor.  Early inductions do not allow enough time for this critical step.

My Drs are planning to induce me as well due to a medical condition I have and medication I am on but they won't do it until 39 weeks....not a day sooner.

I'd take what you can get....I begged to be done in the 38th week and they won't even talk about it.
My doctors are giving me a c-section at 37wks provided a good amnio the day before and I have a SERIOUS medical condition and have battled in and out of hospitals this whole pregnancy. They don't like to do it early. It can provide many complications. They won't do it electively like peek and deanne said. It is about benefits outweighing risks.
Oh and 37wks is not considered full term. It is just no longer considered a preemie. And actually a few days can mean A LOT.
hey...Like you, I also have gestational diabetes and have had a hard pregnancy..... Ill be 37 weeks Thursday, so next monday I will only be 37 weeks 4 days which is when he will probably want to take him...... I guess we can wait..... I just want my hubby to be able to spend more time with us.... also... a question for you....... I know that if my sugar levels are not controlled well it will cause an effect on the baby such as him elevating his sugar lavels... but what does this mean ultimately for him?????? I think my sugar levels are pretty well under control but y'know how us mommy's worry :)
I was induced at 37 weeks...
i was having contractions and was 3cm dilated...my dd is 13months and 'perfect' (in my eyes)...lol...

you and the baby will be fine...GOOD LUCK!!!!
Well I also have a rare life threatening condition to add on top of all that crazy stuff too. i can't wait either even though I'm nervous.
As far as the baby goes if your levels are not well controlled then his sugar could plummet severely when he's born which is dangerous of course. But the doctors usually can get that under control. It's just scary. They have done studies that say if the mother's GD wasn't under control then there is a chance the baby could develop juvenile diabetes later on. Not necessarily will happen, but could. My sugar levels are insane and no one can figure then out so I just hope my DD will be ok. So your original due date is Oct 4th? I'll be 37wks Thursday too. How cool is that.....
hey!!! Yep my due date is Oct 4! Ive been reading your post keeping up with your pregnancy beings we are due the same time! Im so nervous aboutmy baby coming!! I keep having crazy dreams....... oh I jsut need to go ahead and get this over  with! Are you having any swelling??? I swell so bad and I get real sick real easy, I keep waking up lately with sharp contractions of course there chalked up to braxton hicks contractions......