Maternal & Child Community
39 weeks pregnant and worried to death about opiates i have taken.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

first off i would like to say i know it is hard not to judge and i cant blame anyone for being judgemental but i am very depressed and upset about this enough already even though i have ultimately done this to myself. I have been taking oxycodone off and on throughout my pregnancy, i am due to have my c section in 2 days and i took a pain pill 2 days ago. The pills are not prescribed to me and my doctor knows nothing about this to my knowledge, i have been giving urine samples throughout my pregnancy but I'm not sure if any were drug tested or not, I do have an addcition to them and im very weak when it comes to coming off of them, the reason i hadnt tried to come off of them until now is because i was still working and work was unbareable without taking a pill, ive tried numerous times throughout the pregnancy to quit but i havent been able to due to the physical and emotional pain and distress it causes me, I made myself "feel better" about taking these pills throughout the pregnancy by researching online and reading that oxycodone is only a class B drug and does not pass through the fetus wall which im not sure now if i believe, anyway my biggest fear is that my baby is going to be taken away from me at the hospital, yes i am also worried about his health but i havent worried much about it because i know many people who are prescribed opiates during pregnancy and i dont take a high amount of the drug, I just want to know if anyone knows what they would do at the hospital. I began to worry 2 days ago when i went in for a pre c section surgery run down basically, and i was asked to give a urine sample , i know if they test that sample that it will come up positivie for opiates, if they were to test me again on tuesday the day i have the c section i know i will come up clean but ive been reading that they can test the baby and that the results from that can go back months meaning there would be opiates in his system too, I really just want to know what to expect here will i be leaving the hospital with my baby or can they possibly take him from me??? im scared, ashamed and worried to death.  
No judgement here - but first of all, you have to tell your doctor about the oxycodone.  There's no other way around that.  Oxycodone is now being classified as a class "C" drug where it was once class "b".  Even if it's class 'b', it will have crossed over the placenta & the baby is going to go through withdrawal.  The doctors and nurses need to be prepared for that in order to treat your baby.  Even though you stopped taking oxycodone two days ago, the baby will still experience withdrawal as he/she's been exposed to it throughout the pregnancy.

All depends on how much oxycodone you've been taking during your pregnancy.  It might be that your baby will need to be treated w/something like methadone in order to go through withdrawal.  

You really have to look at the big picture - there's one thing to worry about your urine sample coming back clean and whole other for your child to go through withdrawal.  The nurses & doctors will detect it or at least suspect it and then a whole other slew of things happen.

Again, it's best to be honest about the situation so your child (and you) be treated accordingly.  It's the best thing you can do for your baby - withdrawal in an infant is not fun - it usually lasts 4-5 days at least & while the symptoms can be mild, they're definitely there and must be dealt with.

It will take great courage to tell your doctor about your addiction but you must put your baby's health first.  You too can take this opportunity to go off of oxycodone which you should only do under a doctor's close (and I mean very close) supervision.  It's not a drug to mess with so you want to treat yourself and your child carefully.

Best of luck to you and remember to have great courage to do the right thing.