Maternal & Child Community
4 month old screaming every night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

4 month old screaming every night

Sam was 4 months on the 4th May. Up until now he has been great at settling to sleep, I have always just fed him and put him down awake and he has gone to sleep on his own. The last week or so he has screamed every night for an hour to an hour and a half and the only thing that comforts him is to nurse. He isn't actually feeding much though, I think he is just nursing for the sucking, then he falls asleep at the breast. As soon as I put him in his crib he wakes and screams again. I have tried a pacifier (won't have it), letting him suck my finger but he pushes that out too. For the past 2 nights I have left him to cry it out and although he was only crying for a few minutes before he fell asleep it was heartbreaking. My oldest child suffered bad with colic and cried every night in my arms until he fell asleep until he was 4 months when it disapeared overnight. I can't just walk around with Sam in my arms or nursing for an hour and a half everynight as I have to get James to bed too. Thier father doesn't get home from work usually until they are in bed and I don't have anyone else who can help me. Any suggestions how I can make the hours of 6.30 to 8.30 a little easier??!!
I have had my share of fussy babies! My first daughter was a dream...she never cried and was so calm and content. My second and third daughters were a nightmare! They were very fussy. With my third daughter I figured out that the simple blowdryer stopped her crying immediately. I would lay her down and then turn on the blow dryer that we hung from a hook on the ceiling in the corner of the room. It worked like a charm!
My dd was the same way.  The pacifier helped as well as a white noise machine.  There is something so soothing about it and it definately helped.  Also, give him infant gas drops BEFORE his last feeding.  This combination helped my dd a lot.  Good luck to you.
i would def try the gas drops and paci.  my son really only likes the paci if i turn him sideways and hold him just like he is nursing and i put the paci so my body is mushing it in there.  (almost as if the paci is a fake nipple) he seems to think its the same... but then once he's out i can set him down and he still thinks he is at it cuz its still in his mouth.  also if baby seems to fall asleep nursing in a more or less on the side position you could try putting a balled or rolled blanket (or in the boppy thingy if you have one) next to baby to help her stay on her side.  side sleeping seemed to help with the colic pains for both my children
I have a month old and she rolls herself on her side, she was screaming for about 3 hours a night but has since slowed down a bit, we only get it every few days.  She also prefers her side, and if I don't put her that way she will roll herself over.  But eventually she'll end up on her back.  Maybe try a fan pointing away from him so he doesn't get cold, but it's a good white noise machine. good luck I feel your pain.  Mine screams at 3am though till 6am.
Doesn't seem fair that you make it to 4 months and then have to deal with crying.  Both of my babies had/have colic.  My first one screamed almost the entire night for the first few months, then it slowly faded out and got better magically around 4 months.  This one now is 6 weeks today and is still crying quite a bit at night.  I would ask your Dr. though since it appeared out of the blue now.  Could be something or could be nothing.  My little one now is really fussy after 8 pm and needs to be held too, if I put him down if he falls asleep, he will wake up furious and I will spend the next hour at least paying for it dearly.  I hope that I can get him put down before the morning too.  What works for me is to hold him on his side too, and I hate pacifiers, but he will take one at night when he's upset and it really works, that way he still has it in his mouth when I set him down.  Another thing my daycare lady has mentioned is that babies need to release their stress, that's the only way they can do it is to have a melt down.  Good luck, I hope it passes soon.
Thanks for all the advice, the pacifier is a non starter, I have even had him on his side snuggled into my bare breast but as soon as he takes his first 2 or 3 sucks of the pacifier he realises it isn't me! I will try the white noise though. I know it is early but could he be teething? He is drooling an awful lot and keeps putting his fists in his mouth.
I was thinking teething.