Maternal & Child Community
4 month old....spitting up alot. Any ideas?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hello,
My DD is almost 4 months old and she is constantly throwing up. She eats about 4 oz every 3 to 4 hours, she is also on one jar of fruit a day. I know it is not from the baby food because she started having this problem before I started her on food. She is on Similac Advanced. Anybody have thir problem and what did you do to help it? She has a check up in 1 week so I will ask the doctor then but I looking for ideas till then. I am on WIC and that is what they put her on. I have been told that they will change it if the doctor prescribes it, anybody know if this is true or not? Any help would be greatly appreiciated.
Tiffany
Hi there Yes my son had the same problem and my doctor told me to use Enfamil A+ Thickened ( For babies who spit up) It is more money but it really worked great. We had tried lots of different kinds before that. Now my son is a year and has no problem. It is just like regular fomula but I guess when it hit there tummies it thickens and makes it harder to throw up. Good Luck.
my niece had the same problem not matter what she ate she couldn't keep it down, her problem was lactose intorlerant, and even when we switch to soy she couldn't keep it down. then we found out that it was just gas and basically we had to wait it out. it took until she could eat solid food. my mother told me that if you take and crumble in your hand some cornflaks and put it in there formula, and open the tip of the bottle a bit so it can get through that helps settle stomachs because it's more substantial and it does work. Ol' Wives Tales
Never add anything to a childs bottle and certainly never manually widen the opening on a nipple, both of those things are extremely dangerous. Discuss formula options with the pediatrician and lay off the fruit, she is too young for that yet.

Andi
my nephew had this and they said he has gastroesophageal reflux..i think i spelled that right.  he can only eat a lil bit every 2hrs and he has special bottles to help w/ air intake, sorry i dont know what kind.  I hope you find some relief for her.
when my son was that age he had projectile spit up. slight reflux. he was breastfed and on nutramagen(cant remember how to sp that). he eventually grew out of that. im sure as long as the wieght continues to go up it will be ok, but im no dr! love that little one they grow sooo fast!!
My son had the same issues at times, but he also had colic for the first 3 1/2 months of his life. I had to do what the other person said and just feed him a little at a time. Dr.'s office's usually have a triage nurse that might be able to answer any of your questions. I was often told by the Dr. and Triage nurse that babies don't throw up as much as you think they do. It may seem like they just spit up the entire 4oz. that you just fed them, but it isn't that much.
It sounds like your baby may have reflux, which is when the esophagus sort of backs up instead of going down.  If your baby is fussy a lot, and seems to be in pain, its probably good to talk to yuor dr.  There are a lot of medicines - prevacid, zantac - and different formaulas - neocate, notramagine, that help a lot with these symptoms if it is reflux.
I was not speaking of spiting up a little i was speaking of spitting up everything, which is what every child in my family has done. And by 4 months old a child is old enough to keep real food down. i dont know what kind of funky ass bottles you(clearly said you never use) no bottle would break up just becasue you open the nipple a bit. PS what kind of informed woman in this society would breastfeeding there kid until they can eat solids,(cause you clearly said you never botttle fed) don't you know that creates teeth problems. i would fire whatever pediatrician told you to do that.

Refluxing is not uncommon and usually resolves on its own. Also, when a child refluxes it actually only spits up a minor amount. Both my boys had reflux, neither ever had a bottle, only breastmilk and you know what, they stayed up over the 95th percentile WITHOUT forcefeeding them foods their body is not ready for like cornflakes.

I would fire my peditrician if they ever told me to add anything to a bottle and certainly would if they ever told me to manually alter the nipple (which by the way can degrade the nipple, causing it to breakdown and pieces to come off while the baby is eating, which could lead to them aspirating it)

You said it yourself, it is an OLD wives tale. Hopefully nothing a mother in today's informed society would ever consider.

Andi
i don't know what kind of messed up childhood you lived on, but when a baby's throwing up its not eating , food settles stomachs. i was raised on it and so was my whole family. including my child. it is not dangerous and the last pediatrition i went to was younger then me and had never had any children, usually what i look for in a person who telling me what to do with me kid.
Where on earth do YOU get your information from? I happen to possess formal education in not only practical nursing, but also Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Development, including Health, Safety, and Nutrition from birth through school age children. Never in my life have I come across someone so blatantly misinformed about so many issues related to infant feeding. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and actually educate yourself before coming on here and doling out extremely dangerous "advice" and I do use that term very loosely when it comes to what you wrote.

Andi
I would like to thank you guys for your advice. I would also like to clear up a few things. My DD eats  her fruit off of a spoon, most of it ends up on her clothes but I did not alter the nipple on her bottle, but I have never heard you couldn't. Also my doctor told me I could start her on solids when she turned 4 months old and that is what I did. I did not mean to start a verbal battle and I am sorry that is what happened. Once again thanks.
Tiffany
yopu ar ethe most rediculasly offbalanced, self reightuous person i have evr had the "pleasure" of knowing, and i refuse to take this any farther.
Siryn,
No need to be so snotty.  Andi is right - putting cornflakes in your baby's bottle is definitely a very bad idea.  There is plenty of research to show why infant cereal is terrible in the bottle, let alone cornflakes.
Homeopathic and natural would not include feeding an infant corflakes in artificial milk, natural would be nursing your child through its first year as recommended by multiple medical societies, including the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Not only am I educated, but I also happen to have two children of my own. Both nursed through their first year of life. Neither have these mysterious decaying teeth you seem to associate with nursing, yet not the actual source, bedtime bottles or adding garbage like juice to a bottle and sending junior off to bed.

Has your family considered that perhaps stuffing cornflakes in a bottle and then widening the nipple could be the cause of the throwing up? Has anyone bothered to seek the assistance of a pediatrician or pediatric gastroenterologist?

Seriously, spend less time attacking me and maybe a little more time actually researching information, whether it be online or actual medical texts. And yes, I do believe the "advice" you gave to be extremely dangerous and I know I am not alone in this.

Andi
my ped. also suggested that i start runny cereal with my child at 4 months. she was eating at the same time intervals, but was approaching 6 oz a feeding. we use the same formula that you are using. my daughter had a spit-up problem as well, and when i asked the dr about it, he said that as long as she is gaining weight, and she didn't appear to be throwing up the entire bottle (which smells different then just spitting up), she was okay. if i was bothered by it, i could switch formulas. i never did, and by about 6 months, as more solids were introduced, she seemed to taper off with the spit-up.

i am sure that it is hard to break formula down, ideally i would have breastfed my children, but that's another thread in and of itself. not all of us are perfect, but we do what we can.
Women havent breastfed there kids that long since world war two, when there wasn't and milk to have. I have no clue where you got your "educational training" but you can shove it up your ass. I am not blatently misinformed, i am educated in the actual wellbeing of any person, including children. yes i am homeopathic and natural but it dosn't mean that i am wrong. many children have been raised on the teaching of the mothers that came before them and that is my families way. i was offering my advise to the woman taht opened this forum. not you.I will offer my advise to anyone who will take it, that is what these are here for. none of my advise is dangerous or harmful in anyway.
hey i wanted to comment on your four month old throwing up all the time my first child now 2 had the same problem he would eat and eat but not keep it down he also had a bm everytime he ate so they switched to soy so he did the same thing so they finally said it was a milk allergie and switched him to a formula that i can not spell nor say but ill try nuetrigium something along those lines the can was about 25 dollars and i was also on WIC and with the doctors approval WIC game me i think 6 cans a month which i still ended up having to pay for a least once before i could use the next set of WIC checks my son did great on it and also picked up weight fast he now drinks milk fine and after a year old grew out of his milk problem good luck mine use to throw up all the way across the room so i know its nerve recking

heather
haha, you 2 are too funny, is this a comedy act? no "highly educated "person would get on with this foolishness, grow up!!!
This is to all, I dont understand. I am not trying to say anyone is wrong but I am a new mother of a three and a half month old baby boy and I have been feeding him cereal in his bottle since one month (the nipple was made for it) and had no problem. He was a 9.2 lb new born though. With his milk and cereal he spits up because he has reflux but he doesnt spit up at all on his solids with a 2 oz bottle of formula. He has been holding his head up since birth, sitting up on his own, rolling every where, and trying to talk and crawl, wanting my food everything. Now since three months and weighing 14 lbs I have been giving him one jar of fruit and one jar of veggies a day.  And he is really good. Healthy and happy. And the doctor says he is healthy too. he has a check up in one week.  I also split the nipple myself when feeding him food, he has a sippy cup he eats the food out of good though so i dont use the nipple to often. He doesnt take a spoon good yet but I am working on it. But it doesnt seem to be hurting my son at all. He seems happier and fuller.  So i guess it each their own "opinion" because no one really knows what is good for them or bad. Each baby is different.  So why are ya'll saying that feeding this young is soo bad because my mom fed me the same way and I turned out fine.
Ibcad....My pediatrician actually suggested waited to give solid foods as well as cereal in a bottle until my baby was six months old. The reasoning for this is that is has been researched and proven to cause more food allergies the sooner you put your child on solids. This is because their little tummies are not fully developed until six months in order to handle the solids.
My son is now 4 months old, he was breast fed exclusively the first month, then half and half until 3 months but on the dr's reccomendation the formula containned cereal in it, using medium flow nipples, and had no problem.  At 3.5 months his pediatrician started him on rice, barley, and oatmeal cereal by spoon.  He is doing great on it.  the last two weeks though he started spitting up everytime he had formula, and it seems like a lot as well.  My dr suggested zantac saying it may be that gastroespphaguel reflux disorder, but I was a little unsure about giving him unneccessary medicine.  So he said to give him the cereal as his first meal, veggies for his second, and cereal as his third, and then try the formula,only at night.  fwe have been doing that, and he is much happier during the day.  Still spitting up a little after the formula, so the dr. suggested either trying the zantac before he has formula, or switching to non milk based formula as he might be lactose intolerant, so we are going to try that, and if not I guess the zantac.  But it seems as though he just does better with solids now that he has had them....
I started feeding my 3.5 month old veggies as well. She seems to love them. She eats from the spoon as well. She will finish off one 1st stage cup of food. my daughter is doing just fine. She does spit her milk up here and there but does not seemed bothered by it. My dr. told me not to feed my daughter baby food till 4 months, but the milk seemed to not feel her and she would not eat more then 4 oz. My daughter loves eating the food and never has a prob. with it. I also will say only a mother knows what her baby needs. You may get advise from one person to the other but the mother knows whats best.
If your doctor say its ok to add a little cereal then go ahead shouldn't be just adding it and pinching holes in the nipple. Corn flakes is not something a baby should be eating. Also, if you go to the doctor and get them to fill out a paper for wic you can get the appropriate formula for your baby. That one might be to rough on the baby's tummy.
Ok this post is from 2006 lol