Maternal & Child Community
4 months pregnant and losing weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

4 months pregnant and losing weight

I am getting so concerned.  I will be 4 months pregnant Sunday and I have noticed that I am losing weight, I have lost two pounds. I am back at work since school started week before last and I am moving more it is just that I don't even feel pregnant, if not for the tingly breasts.  I had even bought maternity clothes already because a couple of weeks ago I noticed my pants were getting tight, that may have been in my head.  I go back to the doctor in two weeks, If anyone has any adivce or suggestions let me know, I am just getting worried because I don't know how my baby is doing and I am terrified something will happen to it. Also shouldn't it be moving soon?
Also when I went to the doctor at 13 weeks they said it was to early to get a heartbeat and I have been concerned every since. Thanks
Well, i lost weight in the earlier part of this pg...and was unable to hear a heartbeat at 13wks as well. But then, all of a sudden, i packed on 9lbs.  If you're that terribly worried,  i would see if the Dr would let you come in just to try and hear the hb.  That way you can breathe easier.
As long as the baby is growing normally you need not worry.I too lost 2lb in the first trimester, But again gained back 4lbs in another month.
I will think U should be able to hear the baby H/b at 13 weeks, it is not too early.
For the movements U will have to wait till 16 wks at least, many can start feeling it at that onwards, but it can happen as late as 22 wks and more too.
I am 19 wks and hv not felt anything solid yet.
When my sister was pregnant with her third child, she actually lost alot of weight at the beginning of her second trimester. Her doctor didn't seem too concerned with it because a few weeks later all of a sudden gained a bunch.
With my first pregnancy, I lost 15 lbs. the first trimester and didn't gain anything till the 2 lbs. at 5 months.  I wouldn't worry too much as long as you are eating well and taking your vitamins.  If your Dr. is concerned, they will let you know.  I didn't even need maternity clothes till a good week before I hit 7 months.  If it's your first pregnancy your muscles are still tight enough to hold your baby in longer.  Also felt my son at 16 weeks for the first time, but even that is early for a first time mom.  You will feel something soon, I would eat a good meal then lay down for an hour it really helps to feel the baby that way.  When you are up moving around you rock the baby to sleep.  Enjoy the fact that you can still wear your pants, I'm at 7 weeks with #2 and can't button my pants anymore...
Wow, you must have had really bad morning sickness!  Me too, but luckily not like yours.  The nice thing though is that after the baby you may very well be lighter than you were prepregnancy!  Good luck at your next appt.!
I'm a first timer....i started to feel the baby move around 16 wks...but didn't realize that was what i was feeling....after about a week or so..i strated to realize...i'm going into my 19th week now and i felt my first kick.  The Dr. said that he's surprised that i felt it that early..some women don't even feel anything until almost 22 wks.
Between my 7 week and 12 week appt. I lost 31bs.  I have another appt on the 31st and we'll see if I've gained or lost.  Losing a couple pounds shouldn't be a big deal.  Have you been eating healthier than you used to?  Have you been more active?  Those things can impact how much weight you gain or lose.  

On a side note, when in February are you due?  I'm due V-day! :)  Best wishes to you!
I lost weight until i was probably 6 months and lost a total of 16 lbs but the doc said as long as the baby is growing just fine not to worry
i also lost 2 pounds in the first trimester, and i am pregnant with twins! it was entirely due to an extreme overload of stress combined with morning sickness and you can bet it was pretty scary to hear at first. but i worked with my doctor and made an effort to lower my stress level and EAT eat eat (i added ensure drinks to my diet too) and now i am up to a 17 lb gain in my 24th week...and gaining more all the time! work with your doctor...he/she will be able to help you figure out a way to gain that baby weight that works for you :)
i wouldn't worry too much i gained 6 pounds in the first trimester and then when i went for my 15 wk visit i was shocked to learn that i had actually lost 8 pounds since i was there last which was about 3 weeks ago. the dr didn't seem concerned about it at all b/c my morning sickness for some reason has gotten worse. i thought at one point that it had gone away completely but i guess not. lol
That's funny!  I felt sooo bad for you, I could not imagine being that sick, thankfully you are okay!  With this pregnancy, just lost about 3 lbs. so far too, but have ahd a stomach bug, so I think that's the most of it.  My ms this time around comes and goes, so at least I get to eat in the middle of the day!  I still think I should get to skip it since it was so bad with my blighted ovum, lost 9 lbs. and still had a m/c.  Seriously, each pregnancy is so different.  Hope yours stays uneventful too!
oops...I must've typed my pounds incorrectly...3 1bs.  Sorry!  I was actually blessed with a pretty uneventful 1st trimester, not much morning sickness at all.  Hope your morning sickness is clearing up! :)
I'm 4 1/2 months and I lost a total of 12 lbs during pregnancy and gained back 4 or 5.
i'm 10 weeks and have lost 12 lbs. thank the constant nausea.
im at 17weeks and lost 20pounds so hopefully i will gain more but i geuss its cause its my first kid
no most women dont loose 20 pounds by 17 weeks with their first, or any child!
i lost 5 pounds the first 4 months with my son i didnt eat nothing
I am 4months preg. and ever sence the first trimester i have lost weight i was 125 and now i am 115 and i am concerned about my baby. In my first pregnancy i was eating alot,and gaining alot of pounds,but than i ended up having a miscarrige but i didnt understand why because of the fact that i was so healthy. And now im very concerned,about my baby beacuse im hardly eating i cant hold that much food down,and ive been throwing up alot.
I'm 19 weeks and I've lost almost 20 pounds too..

I'm a bit concerned but I think it has been because of constant nausea. I can't keep ANYTHING down. Finally my doctor put my on Zofram so that I could eat but now my stomach is so much smaller.. and i'm not very hungry.. it makes me sicker when I eat. They don't seem concerned about my weight loss... only dehydration. I'm considering buying some ensure to make sure I'm getting my vitamins down.

When i eat or drink I just feel bloated.. it's uncomfortable and weird. This is my first pregnancy.. I'm 20. it's nerve wrecking haha.
What are you eating? Make sure it is all mild food, like the stuff you would eat with a stomach flu. Dry toast, chicken broth bananas, white rice, baby cereal that kind of stuff. Also, ginger ale helps with nausea. Are you average weight already? I didn't loose any weight in my 1st trimester but I didn't gain any until about 15 weeks, my doctor said that was fine though because I was already a little over weight.
omg after reading all the messages u got about ur problem it makes me feel better. Im having the same issue. im 4 months and 6 days and i went from 153 to 142 pounds and i was very worried even tho the ultrasound  said that the baby was fine. i have a little nausea here and there depends on wat i eat. but truely now i feel like a load was lefted off my shoulders. thanx
I don't have a scale at home but last week - at 12 weeks - I'd lost 11lbs and I'm still losing.  I have no interest in food and am generally repulsed by the smell, taste and texture of it, have vomiting bouts several times a week and on occasion feel like I'm going to faint.  I have been unable to take my prenatals - they just make me vomit.  I am overweight, but as this is my 3rd pregnancy, I never had such severe sickness.  I generally lost 5-7lbs the first trimester, although with one pregnancy I did have some morning sickness all 9 months.  I am high risk with high blood pressure and advanced maternal age - 38.  The doctor said they would put me on anti-nasea meds if I'm still losing at the next visit which isn't for another week or two.  I just feel like crud and have nothing left for my family after I come home from work.  Not sure what to do.
I hope you feel better soon.  I ended up losing a good 15 lbs. with my second baby too, I had no energy & poor little Carson didn't understand why I kept running to the bathroom.  My Dr. was not concerned, but I did the same thing with my first & he was a healthy 10 lber.  I threw up off & on all the way till the end...so not fun.  Hang in there, I didn't take the meds as I was able to keep things down by the time we got to 5 months thru 7 months & my insurance didn't cover the Zofran, which was not generic at the time I needed it, it is now & so many people are really happy with it.  Whatever works, congrats on baby #3, hopefully your tummy feels better soon!
Im 15 weeks pregnant... And Ive lost close to 30 lbs since Ive started... yes I typed 30... But my dr says its alright since I was a heavier person... and I just keep losing.... My baby is good.. got a strong heart beat... I lost 40 lbs my 1st 4 months with my 1st.. But I have had severe morning sickness with both ....
I am only 4 weeks pregnant and am a bit concerned.  I am about 10 pounds overweight to begin with and keep reading that I NEED to gain 15-25 pound to have a healthy pregnancy.  This seems like a TON of weight to me.  Is that really necessary?  I feel like if I continue to eat healthfully and exercise in moderation, there is NO WAY I could gain that much weight if I tried. I have no morning sickness.  Basically I am asking if it is possible to healthily (not on purpose) loose weight during pregnancy NOT due to morning sickness?

Thank you,
Sorry if this is confusing
hey dont worrie about it im about to be 4 mounts tommorow and so far i have lost ten pounds doinig my pregnacy ive gained like a pound and i would lose about three as sad as that is on my second prental visit i had lost 6lb and that was in a week... and um as the heart beat i actually herd mine at 11 weeks.. so you can hear it maybe the doctor had problem locating the baby.. but dont worrie ii hope your pregnacy going great
im 5 months prengent and i lost 10 pounds what she i do
Why are you dropping weight. Do you have difficulty eating, are you just not hungry, are you eating properly but not putting the weight on? If you're having issues keeping it down you can talk to your doctor about getting medicine to help that. You can also play around with food and find the things that sit well on your stomach if certain things won't. If you're just not hungry, you need to force yourself to eat either 3 meals a day, or 6 small meals. If you're eating as you should and just not gaining, there's little you can do. As long as baby is growing as it should then you should be fine. In my case I had to find the foods that I could hold down as I've not been able to eat much my entire pregnancy and most of it comes back up, so I've lost over 25 pounds and I'm 32 weeks along. Also make sure you're taking your prenatals everyday so the baby is getting everything it should.
I am going on 16 weeks, I have lost 9.5 lbs I have my next doctor visit in two weeks, but my last visit I told my doctor that I have been losing weight and he said it wasn't important (he kind of blew it off until I told him I was worried bc everybody else I know gains weight..) he asked me questions about any diet changes and new activity/exercise changes. Ever since I have been pg I eat so much healthier fruit instead of chips veggies instead of junk food (that's all the baby, he takes after his father haha i am a huge chip eater and the baby wants nothing to do with it I get sick just looking at Doritos now and i'll start craving grapes & melons) As far as exercise goes my nurse told me walking & breathing exercises are good to do for cramps and for you during your pregnancy. Also every woman's pg is different My ultrasound nurse said my baby is at the weight he is supposed to be and everything looked really good on my ultrasound!! We watched him tumble around and kick and flip like crazy...so even though I am losing on the outside he is for sure growing in there!! Just keep eating right and taking your vitamins, and as long as your doc says ur good that's all that matters bc remember every pg woman is different!!
Well im 14w1d and i have losta toal of 13 pounds and not gained anyback...? is this a problam? i have had no morning sickness eaither but i eat at least three times a day fairly big meals plus some snacks? i started at 127 and am now 114....
I am 16 weeks pregnant and i have been losing weight instead of gaining...before i got pregnant i was normal weight, now i have lost more then 10 pounds in the first 16 weeks i am afraid something is going on i have had lost one baby at the first month i dont want to lose another again.
With my first son I lost a bunch of weight (I was 1lb less the day that I delivered than I was when I got pregnant)  I'm guessing it was about 20 lbs. I had food aversions (couldn't eat hot meat) so I ate a lot of fruits, veggies and yogurt.  I am pregnant again (7 1/2 years later) and am currently 4 months.  I have lost 35 lbs already. I can't eat ANYTHING hot and the thought of anything hot (including toast) makes me sick!    I'm SO nauseous all day long and my doctor finally put me on Zofran.  She isn't overly concerned about the excessive weight loss because the baby is growing fine, I am overweight to begin with and I'm still eating small "snacks" all day long.  She did tell me to push the popsicles and smoothies on days when I'm really nauseous.