Maternal & Child Community
4 year old son, yeast infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

4 year old son, yeast infection?

Hi all--
I have a 4 year old, (who spends alot of time in a bathing suit..) and he was itching his penis tonight.  He did say that it itched, not hurt.  I noticed a couple of red "dots", but nothing that looked like what I've seen before.  Can boys get yeast infections aside from diaper rashes?  He is potty trained, so doesn't wear diapers anymore.  Also, if it is yeast, is it contagious?  I've had them before, but I knew enough to wash my hands continually, etc.  Help!
Also..any ideas on relieving itch would be greatly appreciated.
My daughter had a yeast infection in her butt crack. I'm sure he could get yeast or jock itch. Jock itch medicine will cure yeast too because they are both fungus.
My 7 yo nephew tend to get rashes when he spends too much time in a bathing suit.  In his case, it's not yeast infection...but i would have no clue with your son.  But, His mother uses a medicated lotion on it and it clears up very quickly.  

Also, my other nephew had a yeast infection when he was a baby.  But it was in his mouth.  I don't think yeast infection discriminate against sex.  But i do think that you can only get them in certain areas.  I don't kno wif that helped...but i tried my best.  good luck!
My 4 year old will get a yeast infection if he spends too much time in jeans in warm weather. I use rx nystatin and it clears it up within a few treatments.

Yeast has a real distinct smell to it, wihtout sounding goofy, see if it has that smell before treating it as yeast.

Andi
If he's been in a bathing suit a lot and the area stayed moist it likely is jock itch. Try an OTC cream from the store for that, it's usually found with the athletes foot medication. My son is prone to it, and he too has problems in summer when he is in a bathing suit a lot. Now that I know, when I see him itch a little I put a puff of Gold Bond Medicated powder as a preventitive into his underwear each night and it keeps it from getting so bad and we don't have to use the cream hardly at all. Good luck!
It's not contagious to you.  Yeast thrives in dark, moist places.  If you are not sure what it is, and it's not getting better, see your doctor.
You can also do an image search on the net and see if you can look at a couple of pictures.
Thanks ladies!