Maternal & Child Community
4 year old with weight gain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

4 year old with weight gain

My daugter is 4 years old and weighs 74 lbs.  She has gained almost 20 lbs. in 2 months.  The other night she had severe swelling in her stomach and severe pain.  We took her to the E.R.  They didn't do anything but they did check her blood pressure.  It was 147/83. Last week she had a headstart physical and her BP was 110/80. The day after the ER visit it was 110/74. We've had 3 different dr.s tell us what her BP should be.  I am very confused.  Also she had a x-ray and it showed that she was full of stool.  She has very normal Bowel movements.  She even had one before her x-ray. The dr. prescribed Miralax for her. She took the medicine last night and had a BM this morning.  I seen no difference in this one.  They want to wait until 3 more days for us to call the dr.  The thing that ne and my husband are worried about is that there may be an obstruction or something else that is causing this.  Is there any advice that you could give us.  They also have given her a thyroid test. But the results to that have not come back yet.
If she had a bowel obstruction she would be in terrible pain, Usually vommiting also accompanies it.
Wow that is a huge weight gain, what is her diet like? is she active?
She has had xrays done, Maybe the doctors are trying to rule out anything -- Follow their instructions -But if anything becomes worse, do go to the ER
Keep us posted as to what it could be, Best Wishes
I'm not really concerned about the age or the weight, but the amount she gained in two months is concerning.  Every child is different though, size, weight etc.  Could the dr. have made a error her visit before this and it just seems as though she gained that much.  Have you weighed her again to make sure the scale was correct.  Just checking, you never know.  About the bowl movements.  My dh had this problem not too long ago. Thought he was having a herniated aeorta (SP?), turned out to be backed up, but same as you stated, he was having what he called normal movements.  He took stool softners for a 14 days and felt much better, but still felt like the stools had not changed much.  They should be able to see an obstruction by the x-ray and if they did not then probably diagnosis is correct.  Does seem weird, but maybe just see and go with Cinnamonheart if she is in pain take her straight to the ER.  I hope for a positive outcome for your daughter.  I know how terribly stressful it can be when it comes to your kids.  Good luck.
I have a 4yr old son who does not want to poop in the potty his belly gets really hard and distended, and when he finally goes and im not kidding you the poop is size of a baked potatoe, im not sure what to do any suggestions would be great, he will be starting kindergarten this fall and I want to make sure he will be starting on time.. thanks for any suggestions....
A friend of mine had a similar situation with her daughter. The daughter would have small BMs regularly, but had an emergency room visit because of stomach pain. They also saw that her entire tract was full of stool. They put her on a high fiber diet, including a very high fiber breakfast cereal every morning with high fiber fresh fruits (like blueberries, etc.) Also cut way down on the more binding foods, like rice, bread and bananas, etc.

You may want to keep a food journal of your daughter's daily and weekly diet. After a week or two you may see some patterns of too much or too little of certain foods or food groups and you can make adjustments accordingly. Good luck!
my daughter is 4year old,basically she has no intrest on food.if i skipped her meal she is not asking.forcebly i will feed her eveyday,she is very lean .how to create  intrest on food?how to gain weight?