Maternal & Child Community
43 and trying to get pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

43 and trying to get pregnant

I know the odds go down as you get older but I also know that more and more women are waiting until they are older. I'm just feeling kind of desperate and need to hear from some women in their 40's who have gotten pregnant. It would help me to not feel so desperate which I know doesn't help achieving pregnancy.
My boss got pregnant at 43.  Here daughter is 15 and she is fine.  This was back in the day when they didn't have all the tests to make sure the baby is ok.
Do you have any other children or is this going to be your first?
With all the medical advances I think you should be fine...
I agree with the above post, good luck to you!  My mom had my little brother a few weeks before she turned 40, and he was conceived while she was on the pill!  Big surprise!  I wish you lots of luck, children are so worth it.
She right, I think you will be fine
I have two wonderful neighbors who both had kids at 42 and 43. There kids are very healhty at 5 and 6. I know another lady down the street who got preggo by accident at 48! She just had a health baby girl to go with her other two girls ages 13 and 15! So keep your hopes up!!!
The IVF clinic where I went takes patients up to age 52, so I'd say you are a little on the young side still! LOL
One of my dad's family members remarried and the new wife which was over 40, missed her period and was not feeling well. They thought she had a tumor and come to find out, she was pregnant. Everything went well with the pregnancy and they had a healthy baby. It is possible. I hope you get your desire and sticky baby dust to you.
My mom got pregnant at 43, and had my brother at 44. He was and is very healthy. She carried full term, and was also fine.
Thank you all, just reading your comments helps me feel much better. I was beginning to feel down. I had one miscarriage many years ago (8 years I think). My then husband (now ex) and I were both tested and I was told I am fine, it was his sperm that was causing problems.
I've got one more. My mom had me 1 week before her 40th birthday and she was also on Birth control at the time of conception. I have come to recently discover that the women in my family are EXTREMELY fertile. Don't stress and just have fun and go with the flow.

I wish you all the best!!!
Thank you so much for the encouraging stories. : )
If you want to speed things up a bit it's worth seeing a doctor for you both to get checked out.
Yall have all made me feel better. I'm 38 and ttc. Never thought I'd be ttc at this age but here I am.  WooHoo!! :)
God bless
Where are you from?

Your son is cute......
Your DD is very cute!!  I couldnt seem to get my pics to go on there.  Do you have an email address?  I can send you some of me and my family?  Are you feeling any better?
Since they put me on comapzine I feel much better just a little tired.  How are you?  ***@****

Thanks she is awesome, I love her to death.

Want1more-  Thanks she will be 20 months on Sunday.
I am ok.  I still have a little over a week to wait.  But who counting right?!?!  I am trying NOT to analyze every little cramp and possible symptom this time.  I dont think its going to happen this time around either.  I dont know.  I just have a feeling I guess.  Anyway - how are you doing?  Yea my vacation was so wonderful...i didnt want to come home.  We came home to 2 feet of water in our basement from all the rain!!  that sucked!!  But lets hope my relaxing vacation helped me out some!!  My mom comes in on Saturday so I cant wait to see her.  She will be here for a week.  I havent seen her since my DS was born 2 years ago!!
I have a friend who had twins at 43.  Wasn't even trying.  She already had a nine yr old.  She had the twins on Christmas Eve!  They are 4 now and are completely healthy and very active!
Good luck!
I know what you are going through.  I've been trying to get pregnant (never been tested, don't have insurance atm) for the past 5-9 months with no success.  My husband has a 10 year old daughter from a previous relationship, and I have never had any.  Although I love my step daughter, I still would like to have one of my own.  I know she would love a baby brother or sister.  She carries around an anatomically correct newborn boy all the time and calls him her baby brother.

And I'm afraid another month has passed me by.  I'm feeling that nagging twinge of a backache that is the first signal for AF.

Good luck to you and all those ttc.
Don't get too discouraged I did not get pregnant until my 9th month of trying.   Good Luck!!!
You baby girl is adorable! I just saw them this morning. How old is she now? I posted some pics of me and my son on Yahoo too.

Stephd: How you doing? I heard you had a great time on vacation on one of your posts! That's great!!! It's good to be able to relax huh? Well, Take care
Steph: That sucks about your basement, something always seems to happen when you have a great vacation! That's wonderful that you get your mom, I'm close to mine too, she's coming over to BBQ for the 4th. I hope you get your BFP this month, I'm not counting either. I'm just letting things happen. I've been busy with my DS and stuff. I've been doing good! Glad to hear your doing good too!

Froggies: I'm from southern California, thank you for the compliments on my DS. He's gonna be a little heartbreaker!
Yes he will......

:)
I just added myself to the yahoo chat.  My name under there is brianna11204 I could not be forggies.  I added some pics of my daughter and one of me and her.

Saw this posting late but wanted to share my experience. I'm 43 and pregnant with my 3rd. This time it was unexpected, but I also had a baby at 41 and she is very healthy. Hoping all will go well with this one too. I ha blood pressure issues with my last one and they never went way. I have to be on blood pressure meds this time right away. Hoping that my pressures will hold out. Last time I gave birth at 34 wks She was small 4lb 10oz but completely healthy, went to the reg newborn nursery and was tech. released before me! Good luck and give it time. The % rate of getting pregnant go way down after 40 but if your husband's sperm count is fine and you are healthy believe me it can happen! I'm living proof! It tok a yr to conceive with my 2nd child at 41 and right away with the 3rd, so be patient. Hope this info. helps and boosts your confidence:)
i am 43 and been trying for a baby for 18 momths now , we have both been checked at the hospital and we are both fine . Every month is a disappointment and it's getting harder . Is there hope or is it just to late...
Trust God you can very well get pregnant at 43, 44, 45... I did! It was my first child. I gave birth at 44 to a healthy boy! My husband already had four kids, but this was our first together. We are so happy about our beautiful son from God. So, stay encouraged. With God all things are possible.
Hi!! I am pregnant at 43!!  When I started trying naturally, I got pregnant right away-1st time at 41.  Unfortunately the baby was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 at 12 weeks.  My husband and I tried for the next year naturally and with IUI's, and got pregnant one more time but the baby failed to develop.  
I had had it.  I went to an amazing fertility practice in LA, where I live and met with Dr. Ringler.  I started in Sept and we did our first round of IVF.  I only produced 6 eggs, very low and out of those 3 made it.  My doctor suggested we freeze these and do another round.  The next round produced 10 eggs, 7 divided, and then only 4 made it.  We defrosted the 3 and added the fresh new 4 and decided to do PGD or Preimplantation Genetic Testing on the eggs (oocytes).  Out of the 7 only 4 turned into blastocysts.  At 5 days the four Blastocysts were tested for genetic defects and out of the 4 only 1 was healthy!!  One golden egg!!! Thats all we needed!!! Because my egg was tested before implantation- our odds are amazing.  I am 10 weeks and of course will do the Maternit21 and Nuchal.  However when you elect to do the PGD then you know your eggs are healthy up front-and that has made all the difference.  I am so grateful for this technology so that my healthy egg could be found!!! I wanted to share my process with you as I was so hesitant to do IVF-but am so grateful now that I did.