Maternal & Child Community
45 years old and TTC, period 12 days late, but negative results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I've been TTC for 1-1/2 years.  Was determined to visit an IVF clinic this month, but I'm now 12 days late.  I tested 2 days ago and result was negative.  Could I still be pregnant?  Is it normal for someone my age to have negative results?  My period is never this late.  My husband and I are both only children with no children and desperately TTC.  Should I go see a doctor or should I wait a little longer?   I am very concerned and would like some suggestions.
Go to the clinic, honey.  At 45, your odds are vanishingly slim of doing things naturally.  In fact, missing a period at 45 will be taken by most ob-gyns as a perimenopausal sign, not as a pregnancy, unless it is like your eighth child or something.  Don't waste another minute, go see the IVF folks.  Good luck.  I think you'll make it.
CaraAmy,  I agree with AnnieBrooke.  Your odds of achieving a first natural pregnancy at 45 years old are very slim.

If you want to conceive,  the earlier the better on consulting a fertility specialist.  
Thanks for your encouragement on IVF.  I figured that's the only way to go, but I still had hope of going natural.  I've read about a 48 year old woman who realized she was pregnant at 6 mos, and went on to have a perfectly healthy child.  This gave me a little of hope.  Someone also mentioned that she had negative EPTs until she was 5 weeks.  I'm hoping, and praying that this is my case and not a perimonopausal sign.
If an older woman has had a number of children, it is not entirely unheard of (but still rare) for her to conceive naturally.  But it is extremely rare to conceive a first child naturally at 45.  Talk to a specialist if you aren't convinced.  

If you and your husband are really "desperately trying to conceive," go see a specialist, get tested, and learn about IVF with your eggs if they are still of acceptable quality, or with donor eggs.  I can tell you from experience that once you have your baby in your arms, your only regret will be the time that was lost while you tried to do it naturally against such long odds, which could be time with your child right now.