Maternal & Child Community
4cm dilated,90% effaced at 37 weeks, how much longer till I go into lab...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

4cm dilated,90% effaced at 37 weeks, how much longer till I go into labor???

I am 36 weeks and 6 days. I went to the hospital this am for a NST b/c I have GD and was told that I was a good 4 cm and 90% thinned out. On Fri. I was 3 cm. I was scheduled for a c-section on 1/7 due to having a 4th degree tear with DD. This am they changed me to an induction on 12/31 and th DR. thinks I should try for a vaginal. She also sad that it was not likely that I would make it to the 31st without going into labor. I feel fine and normal though. How long have any of you stayed this dilated b/f going into labor. I am also worried about why this is happening so soon. He is not due until 1/15. Also , I would love any opinions on whether or not I would tear as bad this time. I am concerned b/c lately I have had some incontinence issues that I think are related to my previous 4th degree.
wow 4 cm usually u should be in the hospital...staying dilated 1-3 cm is normal but 4 and 90% thinned out i think its soon for you good luck
I had a friend who was 4 cm for 2 weeks, so it is anyone's guess. Hey, if you go into labor before the end of the year and you live here, he'll give you a nice little tax break : )

With my first I had a 3rd degree episiotomy, but with my 2nd and 3rd I had barely a tear. One stitch versus 45 minutes of intense stitching following the birth of my first. My 2nd and 3rd babies weighed more, but were also 1.4 inches longer. I was much more adept at pushing out my second and third as I went pain med free. Too many variables to say whether they will be similar experiences.

Here's hoping you have a smooth and relatively painless delivery, culminating in the birth of a happy and healthy little man!
when i was 4cm, i gave birth 3 hours later.  it could be soon or 5 weeks from now.  everyone is different.  good luck.
Difficult to predict. It would be a guess, actually.  I went months dilated. Best wishes.
they should have kept you in the hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Avatar n tn
My doc said i was completly effaced and 3 cm dialated on Saturday and still nothing has happened so who knows. It is really different with everyone.
So hard to say, I was at a 3 for a good month each time and stayed at a 4 most of the day the second time.  My neighbor was at a 5 all day and stayed at work since she works at her o/b office.  She finally wnet in after work and still had to have her water broken as she was not contracting or moving along at all.  I had a 4th degree with my first, he was a big boy.  They induced a week early with baby #2 and it was so much better. he was just under 9 lbs. as opposed to a little over 10 lbs. the first time around.  I had some issues too durning the second pregnancy from the scar tissue, but only had second degree tearing and recovered so fast.  I bet you will be fine going a little early, good luck!
Avatar n tn
HI,

I am also 4cm dilated, 100% effaced, head at zero station at my 37 week and 1 day visit with my second but no active labor just lots of braxton hicks in the evening.  My due date is 1/15/08.  I also wonder how much longer I can go like this.  Keep us posted.