5 Day Old Infant Around Chemo Patient
Hi. I heard that it's unsafe for people who are actively on chemo to be around infants because of the radiation and because it can offset some of their immunizations, is this true?  I have a friend who has a 5 day old DS and her brother inlaw is on a daily dose of heavy chemo and I mentioned to her that she needs to talk to her pediatrician immediately.  She kind of shrugged me off but I'm worried.  He holds the baby a lot.  If anyone knows first hand, please tell me.
Thanks.....
Thanks.  I hope you're healthy now......An uncle of mine is onchemo and was told by his dr not to go near infants at all.  Maybe it was justhis type?  I suggested she talk to her dr and thathe talk to his. It's better safe than sorry.
Although I know it's so helpful to his recovery and spirits to hold the baby so it wouldn't be too good if he couldn't.
Thanks again!

I'm sorry to hear about your husband....
My husband who passed away 8 years ago went through Chemotherapy and they said not to exchange body fluids but NOTHING about holding our then 1 and 1/2 year old daughter or anything like that. I think your sister-in-law would know if that were a risk. That baby may be the only life that cancer patient is able to feel right now. I'm sure it does WAY more good than harm.
Hi There,

I had cancer when I was pregnant with my child and I had 3 chemo when he was still inside me and then I had 9 more after he was born and I had one month of radiation. They never told me I couldn't hold my child even during radiation treatments. The only time I had to be careful is when they did test using nuclear medicine and that stays in your body for about 24-48 hours and they told me not to hold him too much when I got one of those. Now, every chemo is different so it's worth her checking with a doctor. Hope this helps!
mc
I have never heard that chemo can affect an infant, certain types of radiation require the patient to be in isolation.  I guarantee that if there was any risk to the infant, the health care workers taking care of the patient would inform the baby's parents.

I think that seeing this baby will give this patient hope and a belief in the future.  What a gift to give someone who is going through such a hard time.
If it is something like prostate cancer sometimes they do seed planting which is radioactive.  I know that pregnant women should not be around someone that has them.  I am not sure about babies though.  He should ask his Dr.
hmm. chemo consists of so many things- but it's not the same as radiation. The only things I could find online were that women who get chemo may transfer it through breastmilk, and that people on chemo shouldn't be around babies who have recently received live vaccines.

I wouldn't be so quick to avoid contact. When there's a reasonable threat, it usually makes it onto most of the good pregnancy and childcare websites, and I haven't seen anything of the sort. Have your relative ask their oncologist, but I think it would be extreme to avoid contact completely just to be cautious.