Maternal & Child Community
5 month old not wanting to eat baby food

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on ways to help 5 month old start eating baby food. I mean he did for about a week then after that its very hard to get him to eat it unless I mix it in his milk bottle.
maybe he isnt ready for some of the foods. start with oatmeals, fruits. since only his ped can determine his weight and growth being ok, talk to him/her about this.
I had a doctor's visit Tuesday.he also told me to try fruits but he seems not to like the ones that I tried. His weight is fine he 16.6pounds and 25 inches long. i was just wondering had anyone tried anything different.
Though they can start with the rice or oat cereal as early as 4 months, my son's pediatrician recommended waiting until just approaching 6 months.  She said the gut is just not mature enough before that for most foods.  Maybe your baby is refusing baby food because it is hurting his or her tummy.  You might be too early.

Also, the pedi said that once you do start, to start with the rice cereal only, or the oat cereal (for babies) only, because those are the least likely to trigger allergies, and then after that to start with vegetables not fruit.  

Good luck!
My pediatrician recommended rice cereal or barley. Then start with vegetables. Use the same vegetable for 3 days to be sure that there isn't a rash/allergy. After the veggies, then introduce the fruits because they're sweeter and may not like the veggies as well. Give them for 3 days consecutive as well. It takes a week or so for some to get used to the texture. Sometimes they can make the worst faces but it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't like the taste, it's just different. My son liked everything warm, while my daughter liked it cold. Don't stress yourself out over it if he doesn't pick up on it soon.He doesn't need the nutrition from the food, just to get used to it. His breast milk/formula is still his main source of nutrition right now. They often spit it out and you just keep putting it back in. It truly is a developmental stage when they can actually swallow it instead of spitting it out. One good sign is if he is able to hold himself in the sitting position or start to pull his head forward when partially reclined. Also, I loved to feed mine in the bouncy chairs. It was easier than high chairs in the early ages. I started out with cereal at bedtime, then in week or so the veggies at lunch. By 7 months  mine were taking cereal at breakfast and bedtime, fruits and veggies lunch and dinner. You may want to try when the baby isn't very hungry, maybe an hour after nursing/bottlefeeding. This way he won't get upset if it isn't coming in fast enough for him. Best wishes to you and congratulations on your little boy.
I didn't start veggies and fruits until DD was 7 months.  Wait a little, no need to rush it.  
And keep it out of his bottle. If a baby can't eat it off a spoon, they have no business eating solids ; ) Echoing what others have said, 5 months is still early. Mine is 7 months and just tinkering with rice and oatmeal right now. Breastmilk is all he really needs through his first birthday.
IF he isn't interested in foods at 5 months, put down the jar, and wait until month 6.  Try again later....he will eat solids the rest of his life, no need to force feed him a jar right now...it serves no nutritional value at this point.  He should be having formula or breastmilk as his primary nutritional source.
Oh lord. Chill out, your baby is obviously not ready for solids yet. This is my third baby and they have all taken to it at different times, one did well right at 6 months, another waited until after 7 months, and this one started at 6.5 months and is still hit and miss. All my babies have been huge, this one is no different weighing over 22lbs at 6 months and still growing by leaps and bounds without daily solids. As others have said, the tongue thrust is a huge indicator they are not developmentally ready for cereal. And no, cereal does not belong in a bottle. Not once a week, not twice a week, not ever. If my pedi told me to do that I'd fire him and find a new one. There are still some old school docs that recommend it, despite mountains of evidence of the seroius health consequences of putting cereal in a bottle.

You parenting skills are not in question, but your perception of my original post is. As peek said, I said nothing different than the others with the exception of the cereal in the bottle.  Hot button issue with me for many verified health reasons.

Don't rush things, solids are not meant to be a staple in their diet during the first year, only meant as practice. There is no need to push them this early.
I'm not sure why you felt attacked.  Andi said nothing that the others didn't, except to keep the cereal out of the bottle.  And here's why:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html

I know you are only putting it in once in a while.  But sometimes once in a while can become more and more frequent.  Then you have a problem that neither you nor your child needs.

As one of the posters said, if your child is tongue thrusting the cereal out or gagging, it doesn't mean he/she doesn't like the baby food.  He/she is probably not ready if you see those actions.  Babies mature at different ages.  It may work out fine for most babies, but if yours is not ready, he/she is just not ready, plain and simple.  Try again in a couple of weeks to a month.  The baby doesn't really need it now, anyway.  

first of all lets get one thing straight i followed what my ped said he told me it was okay to feed him cereal right now.so like i stated earlier i just wanted to know. he gets well enough of milk. I was not trying to only feed him cereal I just wanted to get him to try it because my other kids at cereal at this age ansd before anyone says that they  are not all alike I knowthat to. I just thought i could get a little helpful advice not someone seeming like my mothering skills are at a question. i don't have an attitude I just feellike i was kinda being attacked about trying to feed him because i don't force feed him. Also about his bottle I put spoon ful in maybe two bottles a week to see if he likes it . it's not like i put cereal in every bottle he gets. Becasue if that was the  case he would be over weight by now or clkose to it. He is only 16 pounds as of tuesday.
I want seriously apologize for getting upset with you.I did go to the website as well as call my ped who then after i stated what i read tod me to wait for a month or so. Also I wanted to point out that the bottle that i use was not his regular bottle it's a feeder bottle that  you feed them with instead of a spoon. But i do realize what you all have said and i would like to sincerly apologize
My daughter is 6 months old and she doesnt want to eat anything. i have tried her with nearly every thing i no. and i have asked or adivce but they just keep sayin keepp on tryiing but i cant she wont open her mouth. so i really need some help she has 4 teeth and she needs to learn to eat before its to late. thanks.
my baby is 5.5 months old. she started eating about 3 scoops of rice cereal for dinner at 3.5 months old.  I did tell her ped. about it at her 4 month check up.  i waited till he bragged about how good she looked and then told him and I asked him if i could start her on solids and he said yes but one at a time to check for food allergies.  she eats with a spoon just fine and swallows front to back like she is supposed too.  she is 26 inches long and weighes 17lbs and 5 oz.  but i do agree with everbody that every baby is different just because mine started to eat early and enjoys it doesn't mean every 5 month old will or 6 or 7 month old.  
I really enjoyed this question and answers. I have a 5.5 month son. He watches us eat with such searing eyes that I bought a spoon and tried just giving him water and breast milk to practice. He loved using the spoon. So the next morning I mixed the rice cereal with the breast milk....he barely made a face and loved the whole thing. My doc recommended adding a little banana. I tried again feeding him in the evening with a little banana mixed in.....we got a face of shock this time and not much interest. Today I tried a little homemade applesauce with the mixture...it was yummy to me...no interest again...tonight I tired the plain rice cereal warmed ...I tasted again....much better warm......not a bite. Maybe I should stick with the breast milk so he gets used to it again. I will keep away from fruits as some of you suggested and stay with the plain cereal. I also bought the barley and will give that one a try...then I'll go to oatmeal. I feel very reassured with the posts.....that this is just practice time and his breast milk is what is important. My mom keeps telling me my brother was eating meat stew at 4 months and lapping it up. Oh well times have changed from 40 yrs ago....right?.
my baby is 5 month and 5 days old and i feel he is stll hungry even after 15 minutes of  proper feeding so plz suggest me should start giving food  or which food should be introduced first