Maternal & Child Community
5 month old rolling over

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

5 month old rolling over

My five month old has been rolling over for maybe a month.  She recently just started doing it in the middle of the night.  I am so worried about her sufficating or rebreathing air I just heard of.  What do I do.  Is there anything I should be doing?  Or should I just let her roll over.  Both times she has rolled over in the middle of the night I woke up to her crying and there we are.  She just started doing this in the middle of the night however it is not unusual for me to go into her room in the mornings and she is on her belly playing.  She hold her head up fine.  She has one time rolled back over but I am not sure if she was all the way over to begin with.  I just want to make sure I am doing everything in my power to keep her safe.  My book my ped gave me says that wedges are not proven safe and not been proven to reduce the risk of sids.  Please if anyone has any info or suggestions or can just help ease my mind I would greatly appriciate it!  Thank you sooo much in advance!
If she can lift her head and turn it to the side then she should be ok, just dont put anything in her crib that will get in the way of her being able to breathe if she lifts her head, ie. pillows or stuffed animals, etc.
What about those wedges that they have at Babies-r-us??? My sister uses that for her 5 month old...I guess they work well!!!  Good luck!!!
I would say to let her do it, if she can roll over by herself and move her head, then she won't suffocate herself because she knows what to do and how to mor her head to a comfortable position.
My DD used to do the same (as I'm sure all babies do) and I was a little worried at first so I would turn her over at night when I would go to bed until I realized it was useless because she rolled right back
I was told that once they start rolling over on their own, they also have the muscles and control to free their heads out of any situation. Mind you, I would make sure that there is absolutely nothing soft in her crib like stuffed animals, pillows, comforters so that even if she only manages to turn her face sideways, she will be able to breathe. A firm mattress helps, too.
I always thought that once you passed the critical 3 month mark that the chances of sids go way down.  I would think if she has a firm mattress and nothing to get stuck in her face, she should be okay.  She sounds strong.  I know you can't help but worry.  You can always ask your pediatrician for advice too.

Blessings!
My son started to roll over early too, around 3 months. He always cried if he was uncomfortable.He could turn his head to the side then quickly learned to hold his head up and push himself back over around 5 months.
Just keep stuffed animals and pillows out of her cot. Also im not sure how the wedge things work? I assume they dont abstuck the face. But at 5 months babys can be quite strong and move up and down the cot and even may still be able to turn, where then she would have something blocking her face???

I have just lost my son to SIDS at the age of 10 months. He was found on his back, the results came through as all normal, everything negitive. He was a very healthy, strong, happy boy..

I have met alot of people whose babys have died of SIDS upto the age of 2, although not as common.(most have been upto 4 months) They say cot death usually occurs upto 4-6 months old.But it still can happen, as i had to find out.

Just always go to your baby if you hear them cry, as they may be in trouble.

xxx
Besides using a firm mattress and taking away all toy and blankets there really isn't anything you can do but think positive. You could use an angelcare monitor (alarm goes off if it doesn't sense for 20 seconds) but I don't know if that's still in time to get your baby to breath again. You'd need to do a CPR class anyway or it's no use. I'm using is more for peace of mind. My son is a tummy sleeper (he'll fall asleep on his back but won't sleep longer than 45 min and then I have to turn him on his tummy), he got used to that in the NICU where it helped him breath easier and of course they can afford to do this since they have all these monitors. But I understand your fear. Even with monitor, I wake up several times during the night and check on him. I guess it'll be a year before I'll feel completely at ease, although now I read the previous post... My sister lives in Belgium and she did a sleepstudy where you stay in the hospital on monitors for 1 night and apparently they can see if you are at a higher risk for SIDS. I never heard of people doing this here though...
We went through this a few months ago.  My DD rolled to her belly but then would get mad b/c she couldn't get back over!  We'd have to go rescue her in the middle of the night!  Soooo tiring!  Thankfully that only lasted about a week before she figured it out on her own.  Anyway, I worried about the SAME THING you are.  But just like everyone said...if she can roll over and move her head around...she's fine.  

Funny enough, DD will ONLY sleep on her belly now.  She hated it for the first 5 months of her life and now she won't sleep any other way.  :)
YES MY DD JUST SLEPT ON HER BELLY AND HER SIDE FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST NIGHT.  I JUST LET HER GO SHE SLEPT FOR HOURS.  I JUST CHECKED HER OFTEN.  NOTHING YOU CAN DO I ASSUME GOD HAS A PLAN FOR ALL OF US.  
TO THE ABOVE POSTER I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.  YOUR IN MY THOUGHTS.