Maternal & Child Community
5 month old with bad wind / reflux

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

5 month old with bad wind / reflux

my 5 month old girl has always had wind trouble. we discovered she also had silent reflux at around 2 months, which i assume is being successfully treated with ranitidine, as her crying is not the same. She is exclusively breastfed, and cannot / will not take expressed milk in any form, or a dummy. 3 weeks ago,I tried to wean her onto baby rice-( to help her reflux), which made her wind even worse, so despite the h/v saying try something else, i decided to completely stop and let her digestive system rest. However, it's been 2 weeks since she had anything, and things are no better. I have tried everything- all the over the counter meds, fennel tea, cutting out culprit foods in my diet, but its a minefield and im so confused. do i try to get her onto some sort of formula? Can anyone suggest anything to help, as i am desperate to see some improvement- i thought things were supposed to get better by 4 months!!!
thanks b
She may need a stronger antacid. My son grew out of his baby one as he had new foods introduced. He was diagnosed with silent ruflux at 6 weeks after I had been to the doctor complaining for at least 4 weeks. I knew there was something wrong. All sorts of food that I tried him on seemed to give him stomach pains and bowel problems. The first thing I found that didn't cause him any problems was pureed apple. Give it a go and also I would try his new food first thing in the morning so that he would cry through the day and be feeling a little better by bed. Also if you think she is in pain then try some paracetomol. Good Luck I hope you find something that works. Oh and he grew out of it finaaly at around 7 or 8 months.
Rice will constipate you making your gas situation even worse.  If you baby has reflux it usually is accompanied by bad gas problems.  I would do a lot of cycling of the legs, warm blankets on the tummy, trying to avoid rice, bananas or anything that binds.  Formula will only make the problem worse (it did for my kids).  Your milk is the best for this situation, believe it or not.  Both of my kids were VERY gassy even though I eliminated everything that could cause gas from my diet.  I know what you're going through b/c I went through the same thing and I must admit that nothing helped us.  They just grew out of it.  Sorry I wasn't as helpful.