Maternal & Child Community
5 month old with the FLU??
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

5 month old with the FLU??

Blake has been vomiting and has had diarrhea since Friday.  I called his ped twice already and he had said to keep him hydrated with pedialite. He's deft not dehydrated, he's had tons of wet diapers.  My question is how much is too much.  The dr said if it continues to bring him to the ER.  Well...what does that mean exactly?  I feel like such a pain, I always seem to call them on weekends.  He's acting fine, smiling, playing drinking bottles.  But then out of the blue he will vomit or just explode with diarrhea.  Is there anything I can do for him besides keep him hydrated?  Thanks
Tags: diarrhea
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
172023_tn?1334675884
My rule of thumb is that by 48 hours, they should be improving quite a bit.  If he is still as sick as he was on Friday, or is just very slightly better, I'd call again (does your doctor have an advice nurse? Many do, and it really helps!) to see if they want him brought in.

Also, a baby who is acting well is reassuring.  If he is listless, unusually sleepy, feverish, very cranky..I'd be far more worried.

Blank
173820_tn?1224939758
Thanks...it's actually getting worse since Friday!  He has had diarhea (diarrhea) three times in less then three hours.  His mood though has deft improved since Friday.  No advice nurse on weekends..just on call dr's.  Thanks I will call now.
Blank
I think you're supposed to wait several hours after your baby has vomitted to give food or milk. When my dd had the stomach flu they told me I had to wait 8 hours from her last vomitting episode to give her a bottle and that the only thing she was allowed was a tsp of pedialite or water every 10 minutes or so.
Blank
Oh, it's so hard, Cam did this at a really young age, but he was really dehydrated, had not had a wet diaper in almost 24 hours.  We took him in to the Dr., as I kept in close touch with the nurse.  Not much we could do but keep forcing fluids and make sure it was just a bug.  It was and he had the thing for several days.  I was at the point where I would have to use a syringe and force 1 teaspoon of pedialyte every 15 minutes, even then it owuld come back up, but after awhile it got better.  I agree, call the nurse and see.  I took Carson to the ER at 6 months old for really bad vomiting, at the advice of the oncall Dr., all they did was force some pedialyte, watch him puke it up all over me and tell us to keep doing that till the morning and get in with his ped.  I would go there if it's bad, but if you can call the nurse, I would do that first.  The ER will triage him and send you home unless it is really bad.  Even with my child spiking a high fever and listless, they sent us home in a snowstorm no better off.  Good luck, push the fluids and avoid foods that will be hard on tummy.  I stuck to the bottle when this would happen, gave solids later, and then would do rice cereal and bananas.
Blank
173820_tn?1224939758
thanks..i called the oncall nurse..and their advice was to cont with formula pedialite in between and continue to give solids!!!!  Well, he wont eat solids and luckily he has a gtube so i can give him his liquid that way bc he wont drink a bottle right now.  He has not vomitted since this morning but has diarrhea every hour I feel like Im changing him non stop.  I have to take him to his ped tom. am.  He's just been so sick for the last several months between trach infections and colds and now this I feel so helpless..I wish i could make him better!!  
Blank
I hope little Blake's feeling better soon.  Decogrl just posted about her DD going through something similar.  Apparently,  there is a bug going around (grrr).  Again, I hope he feels better soon.  All the best.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...