Maternal & Child Community
5 week 1 day ultrasound, only saw gestational sac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello. I had an ultrasound on monday, when I was 5 weeks 1 day pregnant. I know my dates are correct. They only saw a gestational sac- no yolk sac or fetal pole. I am freaking out because I had a miscarriage a few months ago and am dreading going through this again. My HCG and Progesterone have been checked and they have a doubling time of 1.55 days, which is good. Prog. was 32.5 and HCG was 8300 on the day of the ultrasound. Has anyone else had an experience where they only saw the gestational sac but things turned out OK? My doctor said it was normal, but seemed a bit cautious. Another doc in my practice said the absence of a fetal pole may be suspicious. Ahhh! I have to wait 2 weeks to go again and am going crazy :-(
If you're talking about anembryonic pregnancy, or blighted ovum, these are actually very common. Many women on this board, including myself, have experienced this. I just wanted to point out that they are not rare.
just to clarify, I did have a vaginal u/s. Thanks for everyones support. I have read various things saying seeing only a gestational sac at 5 weeks is totally normal, and other things saying it might not be. I guess I will know in 2 weeks.
Your so early they wont see anything at this point.  As long as your levels are doubling and going up dont worry about it too much!
With your miscarriage did you ever see a fetus or yok sac? Did you have doubling HCG and good progesterone?
I was 6 wks along when I was pg and they did an u.s to rule out a tubular.  They didnt see anything.  At first yes they were fine the levels were doubling but the day of my u.s they were not so they were concerned and the next day I started to spot and I m.c the day after.  My levels were fine for a while but for some reason they just stopped doubling and they were so worried about it.
Let me tell you my dilemma only a few weeks ago, I was 8 weeks along and they couldn't even find my baby in the ultrasound!!  I had to wait until over 9 weeks until they did another one, and they still couldn't find my baby so they sent me to the hosp. to do another u/s and they finally found the baby.  My levels were all normal and doing well, so this was scary for my dh and I.  I have heard lots of stories just like yours where the baby ended up fine, so try not to think of it too much, which I know is so hard to do.

I do want you to think realistically though, it is possible it is a blighted ovum if your levels are up but no baby present.  There's always that possibility, but you've got to think, you're trying to see something the size of a grain of rice in there, and especially if it's an abdominal u/s, they might not find it right away.  Try to keep your spirits up and please keep us updated.  We'll all be thinking about you.
Thanks Kaira- good luck to you. This just totally sucks!! I hate waiting...dreading bad news.
Hi, I am 6 weeks 3 days and they can only find a gestational sac and the yolk but no fetal pole. I just wanted you to know that it's happening to someone else to but at this point I'm still searching for answers just like you. That is how I found this site. All i know so far is that there is a such thing as PSEUDOPREGNANCY which is basically a "fake pregnancy" because there is never a fetus present! It's rare in humans so far as I know and unfortunatly right now thats all I know. Good luck to you though. I will pray for your baby along with mine. If I learn more I will let you know. Please do the same. Thanks
I had a blighted ovum twice.  Sac present nothing else.  I was able to have viable pregnancy within a month after second mc.  My HCG was high because implantation in the uterus is what stimulates HCG  but empty sac stays implanted only a short while.  It may not be the  case with yours. I mc'd at 8 wks the first time and 10.5 wks the second.  Good luck!!
If you don't mind me asking, why did you have an ultrasound so early?  Don't they usually wait until 12 weeks or so?
I think because she had a m/c last time.
I had a miscarriage (ectopic) in September. My doctor is very "ultrasound" happy anyways, though. He ALWAYS "sneaks a peek" at your first prenatal visit. I think I had a million ultrasounds with my first normal pregnancy because he always wanted to look at one thing or another, and everyone I know who goes to him gets a bunch of ultrasounds. I used to love that, but now it makes me really nervous. If this pregnancy doesnt work out, I am just going to wait 8 weeks to go in next time so I dont have to play the waiting game. It is driving me crazy!
I remember you, I think. Didn't you have some pain, and the doc went in and found the ectopic? I had an ectopic in July, and I remember posting to you when you had yours. Was your tube okay?
Yep, I remember now. I had methotrexate in July, and my tube turned out okay. Before that, I had a blighted ovum in Feb. Don't worry just yet- it's still early. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have good news after the next u/s.
Yep- I was lucky that I didnt lose my tube. I actually started bleeding, thought it was my period, took a preg test anyway (the period was lighter than usual) and it was positive! My HCG never doubled, and my "pseudosac" had fluid in it. So, after a few weeks of worry, my HCG dropped and my doc had me take methotrexate since it was before 8 weeks. It was a really sad experience, but physically it wasnt bad at all. So tubes were saved since they caught it so early. Now here I am with great HCG and prog numbers and might m/c again since they didnt see anything on the u/s- I cant believe it! I had an ectopic, and now might have a blighted ovum. Big time bummer!
It sounds like I am going through the same thing you are.  We found out that we were pregnant 2 weeks ago.  Last week I started to have brown discharge that was accompanied by heavy cramping.  Concerned with a miscarriage, I went to the hospital and they performed my first vaginal u/s at 5wks (3 since conception).  They found a small sac in my uterus.  My hCG level was 4500.  Two days later I repeated the hCG level and it was at 8800.  My doctor is concerned that my hCG levels do not match my ultrasound.  She says at this point we should be seeing a pole...I am scheduled to go in next Wednesday (6wks) for a follow up u/s.  She does not want to speculate until she sees the next u/s.  I hate the waiting!
I find myself playing the waiting game too. I am 6 weeks 4 days and started spotting. I go this afternoon for an ultrasound. I have been praying all day that it will be ok, but it is so hard to think positive. I had a m/c 7 years ago. This is different though in that I am not in any pain. My prayers are with you all!
Hi, I am going through this also.  I am 25 pg with my first.  I am 8 weeks 2 days.  I had a u/s done on Dec 6th, they said I was 7weeks 3days then by they size of the sac.. There was a sac, but no fetus, or heart tones. I have not had any cramping or spotting, bleeding or anything.  I have never been pg before, no mc either.  My dr says that this is normal. Just went today to have blood drown so they can check my levels.  I go agian on wensday for a redraw.  I am very scared and worried.
hey, ddnbanjo

how did your appt go? You were going today right?
Hi hope somebody can shed some light.  Im 5 weeks 4 days pregnant had a scan 3 days ago. They found the sac but no yolk sac or fetal ple seen yet is this normal its my first pregnancy i am so so scared.  Midwife said it was normal
Hi all,

I am four weeks and 5 days and just had vaginal u/s done yesterday.  Had slight bleeding and cramping pains for few days.  Tech couldn't find anything atall on the ultrasound-just a thickening of my uterus.  My HCG levels are now 810 and doubling each day.  This is my fifth baby and have never experienced this before.  I have to go back to the hospital every 48 hours to make sure that the baby isn't tubal. It is the worst wait of my life!!!
. Ive been having on and off bleeding and cramps, Dr sent me for an u/s i should be 6w 6d but they only found a small black dot in my uterus measuring 4w 4d. My uterus lining was thick also and i have something on the side of my right ovary, they aren't ruling out ectopic. Im just waiting to ring my doctor today. They havent done any bloods so this is really confusing for me.
at my ultrasound (5-6 wks ) baby measured 5mm with NO heartbeat gestational sac was big but saw NO yolk sac either i was told to have a d&c straight away but refused i was so angry at the way doc jus said that !!! anyways i went to see my doc at the office he was amazed that the lasy ta the hospital ahd requested to ahve a d&c so soon!! i have another scan this week or next hopefuly weil show a heartbeat and yolk sac i have had weird weird feelings in my belly and back and down ther really starnge they dont hurt or anything just really weird lol ladies dont give up hope i know how hard it is to act strong when were all in this waiting game !!!!!!!! i pray this wont be my 3rd m/c my close friend is 19 weeks pregnant if i didnt have one of my m/c id only be 4 weeks behind her :( BABY DUSSSYYYYY TOOOO EVERYONE
I found this site because I too went to the doc today because I tested positive for being preg on test at home. The tech says I'm about 5 wks. Yet, during the ultrasound she couldn't find the baby. Just the sack. She checked my tubes and said they were fine. I have never had a mc either. I have had two normal pregnancies with the exception of my oldest being two months early. I am also conerned. My h and I have been trying to get pregnant since last nov so we're really excited about this one. I don't go back to the doc for another two wks. Had blood work done today as well to check my levels. She didn't seemed concerned but, I am.
I'm about 6 weeks and five days and I had an u/s done earlier this week..The Tech didn't seem surprised to only find a gestational sac but I've been researching and the size of the sack and the weeks of preg just don't match..I haven't started spotting or cramping but the preg symptoms are almost gone..I can't stop thinking about the possibilities of having another mc..This would be my third..It just doesn't make sense..I have a seven year old daughter and I went through a lot during my preg and I was young but mc was never a threat..All I can say is "let go and let God"
I went to the doc on 11/25 and I thought I was 8 weeks. The ultrasound showed a sac & where the baby may be, but she couldn't tell because it was so little. She said it was implanted in a good place...at the top of the uterus. I have to go back in 10 days for another ultrasound. She said I looked to be about 5 weeks. how could I be that far off!! I'm so nervous! My doctor did not want to do blood work to check levels. Is that a good sign? She didn't seem too concerned.  
So here's my ridiclous story. I am in the same boat as it seems alot of you are. I found out i was preg with a hpt on Aug 31st, i was spotting alittle (as i normally do before my period normally starts). I went to family dr to confirm pregnancy (it was positive). They refered me to an obgyn. When i called them to see if it was okay for the hubby and i to have sex, since I was spotting, they told me to go to the er for evaluation. So i've have my numbers done twice, wed: hcg 274, and then fri: hcg 581.8 (end of 4th week). I also had a pelvic and tranvag us done in middle of week 4 at the er. It showed my body was ready for a pregnancy (thickened endo stripe etc) but no sac was seen. Yesterday i had another us done (both pelvic and transvag again), and i should be 5 weeks 1 day, and they saw a gest sac this time. But on the paperwork it said "no evidence of live intrauterine or ectopic preg. This could be an early IUP or even early ectopic and followup is needed". So is it normal to not see evidence of a live intrauterine preg yet? and what does that mean? I have been spotting since the day i found out i was pregnant. It was never really true blood, and its gotten so it almost gone now, really only showing up on toilet paper. My boobs continue to be achy and sore, and i have been tired on and off since like a day or two after i found out i was preggers. I have had a few queasy moments, no puking (my first pregnancy i puked for like 3 or 4 months straight, kept nothing down and ended up with iv's hooked up to me in the er to rehyrdate me). Oh and i havent had any cramping- i get some "twinges" but nothing cramp like. Also as was with my first pregnancy- they found my uterus is tipped towards my back again (retroverted) with this pregnancy. So, i come to y'all with hopes that someone can shed some light on my frusterating situation...