Maternal & Child Community
5 week u/s

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

5 week u/s

I had my hcg bloodwork done when I was 5 weeks 1 day and it was 3100 and two days later it was 7300.  The doctor said I was pregnant.  I am just worried because I had an ultra sound when I was 5 weeks and all they saw was a sac.  I had a miscarriage last month so they did an ultra sound to see if it was tissue left over or a new pregnancy.  Ultra sound tech said that is was not from miscarriage but could be a amniotic sac.  I asked her if I could still be pregnant and she said that if I am it is  not a normal pregnancy and will probably need a D&C.  Now I am so confused because my numbers doubled and doctor acts like everything is fine, but I am just worried about what the tech said.  Could she have seen something that the doctor did not see?  Why would she say it is not a normal pregnancy and will need a D&C?  She said it measured 5 weeks and when I had the ultra sound done I was 5 weeks.  Anyone had anything like this????  I go back in two weeks for another ultra sound.
your numbers sound great and at 5 weeks your not going to see much anyways. it sounds great to me but then again im not a doctor
I agree with Kim. At 5 weeks its really difficult to see anything but a sac. As hard as it is you will just have to try to be optimisitc, wait another week and see if you can see a fetal pole. If after another week you are still just seeing a sac that is still measuring 5 weeks 1 day then it could possibly be a "blighted ovum" or something like that, unfortunately, but your hcg results look good so just keep your fingers crossed and count down the days!