Maternal & Child Community
5 weeks 4 days pregnant and no baby on ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 21 with my 2nd pregnancy.  I went to the ER a couple of days ago because I was having some cramps on my left side.  They did a ultrasound and said that their was a sac but no baby. On 5/24 HcG level was 6540, and on 5/26 they were 10394.  They said that I was 5 weeks and 2 days on 5/24. He also said that it may be an ectopic pregnancy,  Is it normal to not see a baby this soon?  Or am I going to have a miscarriage?
hi, this is very early to see a baby on the scan.  ur hcg levels look really good, so thats great.   its normally aboout 6 or 7  weeks before a clear view of baby.  i know its easy for me to say but be patient and i hope all goes well.
I don't really know to much about m/c, but I do know that when I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks 4 days they couldn't see anything. They actually even tried a internal ultrasound (I don't know if theres another term for it) and ended up seeing a heart but only saw it for a few seconds. Now I'm 31 weeks with a healthy baby inside.  
I had the same thing happen to me. This is my second pregnancy the first also resulting in miscarriage. I had really bad cramping in the early 5 weeks and went to the hospital. HCG levels 11000 just a sack no bad. 5 weeks 6 days I went back HCG levels 32000 and no heartbeat. Ultrasound with doctors office two days later showed a baby with a heartbeat. Now I'm in my ninth weeks and things seem to be going okay (or so I hope since I worry everyday). I say just give it some time... you should be fine.
I just had the same thing happen (11 days ago). 1 week later a baby and a heartbeat. Best luck to you!
I have hear that it can be tooo early that is why I pushed my U/S back a week The fear of the same thing happening.  but hang in there and have anohter in a week or so.  super sticky baby dust
Don't even worry. At 5 weeks and 6 days, all i had was an empty gestational sac. I was so worried and even the radiologist said it didn't look good. But today I am 24 weeks with my healthy baby boy. Everything was fine....he was there all along, and it was just too early to see him for me.
Pregnancies are all different. Babies all grow differently.
I wouldnt' worry at all. I am betting you are just fine.
from my experience this isnt too early, at 5 weeks they should be able to see a fetus or at least see a pulse on the ultrasound, my Dr saw my baby's pulse inside the sac when I was only 4 weeks, good luck to you.
On May 5th I tested postive on a blood test with hcg levels of 150 doubling within 2 days to 299. I had very light brown spotting a few days ago I called the dr who suggested I go in for a pelvic exam. We calculated how far along I was and since my last period was on Apr 7th the dr decided I was about 7 weeks. When he performed an ultra sound all he saw was the sac no fetus or could he see or hear a heartbeat< He said it could be a blighted ovuim or perhaps I ovulated later than I thought I did and it was too early to see or hear a heartbeat and suggested I go back on June 4th for a second ultra sound. He also took a blood test to check my hcg levels. I still feel pregnant I have sore breast and feel very tired with a little naseau>  The dates from my last period and when I tested positive don't add up to the ultra sound,
Does anybody know if in fact it is too early to see anything and could I have ovulated later. I am just devestated I have been trying to get pregnant fo the last 5 years with on failed IVF treatment and two failed artificial insimination. I had a miscarriage in Feb and was surprised to be pregnant again, If on June 4th there is no heartbeat the dr want to perform a D&C is this safe and will it affect my chances of getting pregnant again, I am so upset I can't sleep and have been crying non stop
I saw my baby with heartbeat at 6w2d.  He said that I was lucky to see that!!  Sometime it can take till 7w or more.  5w4d is to early.  My dr wouldn't even do one this early because he said if there wasn't anything in the sac I might needlessly be worring.
hey there
I just came from the dr today with the same thing!!! I am 6 weeks and 1day and had a ultrasound done monday at the E.R because I was spotting. Now 2 days later there still no  fetal pole but this other dr told me it lil soon to see anything. Every woman and pregnancy is diffrent. Where one woman see a fetal pole and hb on there first ultrasound to the next woman it takes longer to see anything. If you levels keeps going up your in the right lane!!! :) good sign!!!!! Im sure by 7 or 8 weeks you will see something. k?
blessing are with you
all this sounds very familiar. they did an ultrasound and some blood work this past week. my hcg levels were good but the ultrasound had no baby only a sac. however, this is too early and most of the research i've done, i've read the same thing....5 weeks is too early. i'd probably wait a few weeks...so don't worry and be patient.
I had some bleeding today and yesterday.  I went to the Dr. ultrasound showed no baby.  So they drew blood and Monday the Dr. will call me to go back in to draw blood.  I am scared too.  How did it go with you?
I AM 38 AND MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE TRIED FOR 5 YEARS TO HAVE A BABY.  LAST YEAR I HAD TO M/C AND NOW I AM 4 WEEKS PREGNANT AGAIN, I WENT TO DR. AND HE FOUND SAC BUT NO BABY HE SAID THIS DIDN'T LOOK GOOD, BUT MAYBE I HAVE MY WEEKS OFF NOT TO WORRY, JUST THIS PAST WEEK I STARTED GETTING REALLY SICK AT STOMACH THROWING UP FEELING AND MY BREAST ARE STILL VERY SORE.  IN MY LAST TO M/C I STARTED LOOSING MY SYMPTOMS, BUT MY SYMPTOMS ARE GETTING STRONGER NOW.  DO YOU THINK IT WAS TO EARLY TO SEE BABY, I ALSO HAVE A SLIGHT ODER THAT I HAVE NEVER HAD, NOT BAD JUST WHEN I GO TO BATHROOM I CAN SMELL IT.  I HOPE MY BABY IS OKAY MAY GOD BE WITH US ALL
it's probably just too early to see the baby. at 6 weeks I had an empty sac and was told I was probably miscarrying. I went back a week later and there it was, perfectly fine. They said I must have ovulated really late, and now I'm 6 months pregnant and all is well. good luck!
I just found out that I was pg on 1/30/09 so I made my first Dr's appt because this will be my fourth pregnancy, but i have had 3 miscarriages. I went to the Dr. on 2/2/09 they didn't see anythin gon the U/S so I am nervous my next visit is on tuesday and I can't wait!!! So far I am feeling fine I don't have any abdominal pain or bleeding which is a plus!! At some parts of the day I can feel something going on it is hard to explain not exactly pain I am verrry nervous to find out if everything is okay
same story w/mine.I had series of U/S from 3 different clinics, 1 result revealed 7 wks gestational sacbut no fetal pole, the other U/S said 5 weeks single fetus but no heart beat & the other result is 5 weeks sac & no fetal pole,maybe its really 5 weeks,maybe its only a sac thats why there is no heartbeat,but all of them are asking me to wait for another 10 days more or else a D&C will be done to me.this was supposed to be our first baby after 2 years of marriage.i have given up hope,but after reading some of your successful stories,i just smiled...hope my baby's heartbeat will also be seen a little later.BEST OF LUCK! GOD BLESS
A few days ago i had recently had a D&C . The reason for this was because i found out i was pregnant at about 5 weeks and 3 days. Every sonogram & ultra sound I had came out to be unsuccessful. The doctors said my sac was growing, but no baby was developing. My hormone levels were rising everytime i went for blood. First it was at 1400 then it raised to 21000 , from there it went to 34000 and  a few days later it was still at 34000 with a few points ahead. the doctors said that i was most likely to have a miscarriage. But deep down i felt like everything was ok. For all the ultra sounds i had there was no sign of a baby. My sac was completely empty. They estimated my due date would be April 17 which means i got pregnant some time in July which was only about a month and a half ago. Were the doctors wrong for taking action in doing a D&C? Or was it true that i was most likely going to miscarry? Has this happened to anyone ??
I had a m/c on Feb 20 and was devastated. Ive recently got pregnant again on March 30th and now 4 weeks along. I went for my first ultrasound today and was very nervous because just yeterday i went in for some super light brown bleeding. They saw the sac, yolk and the fetus pole but no heartbeat. Did anyone get the same feedback there first ultrasound and if its normal. thankyou=)
Hi i wondered if some could help me i found out i was pregant to weeks ago but the line on the test was very faint and when i went to the doctors they said i was 8 weeks i had a bit of brown discharge so i was sent to the hospital whn they did the scan nothin was there so they did an internal one and said that im either 5 weeks or under or the babies stopped developing im going for a re scan next week will i be ok ?????
hello Doctors... my question is...me and my husband wants to have a baby on 2011...On january for about 15days he is on vacation and will be gone for a deployment for months... we will make love lets say  he will arrive on january 7 until 23....but the problem is i have a schedule ultrasound on  january 11... i dont know yet if i am fertile on that days, but i think i am....if will be fertilized after making love. do u think days after fertilization can affect the fetus growth and development by abdominal ultrasound? (possible i have kidney stone)..help please..thanks.. wendy..
Hi my sister is 5wks pregnant. She went in for a u/s today. They could see the sac but it was empty. The Dr. told her to come back in 10 days and they would do another u/s. But that maybe she should consider a D&C. My thoughts are the dr is wrong. I mean shouldn't they wait a few more weeks and do another u/s? Maybe my sisters calculations were off! She said they aren't even going to send in her blood work until she goes back. She is soo upset saying she miscarried. I think she should get a second opinion or tell them she wants to wait a few weeks before another u/s is done. What are your thoughts on this?? I am a concerned sister!!