Maternal & Child Community
5 weeks and no yolk or fetal poles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

5 weeks and no yolk or fetal poles

I just found out that I am pregnant. They did an ultra sound and figured out 5 weeks 2 days. There was a gestational sac, but no yolk or fetal poles. I am worried because they should see something by now..right? I have another ultrasound next week to see if anything has changed.
IT is definitely too early to see anything.  You could've ovulated later, etc
My dr didn't do my ultrasound until I was aleast 7 weeks!

Did the dr check your HCG levels?  Did he/she have any worries about your ultrasound?

A week makes a HUGE difference.  I know you'll be worried and anxious until then.  I'll keep you in my prayers!
xoxox
V
The dr. didn't say anything about my hcg levels. She was basically telling me that it could go either way. That it may not be vaible or it's just too early for me.
Well....we'll just say it's too early!!!  I have heard many on here that saw nothing one week and the next they saw baby, heartbeat and yolk sac!

One lady on here saw nothing, the next week she has 3 babies in there!
whew!

Try to stay positive!  It's hard, I know!  I went through a miscarriage in May and now I am pregnant again!  8 weeks tomorrow.

Best Wishes!
V
I agree with the other posters. At 6 weeks, all my ultrasound showed was an empty gestational sac---NOTHING else.

Well, I am currently 31 weeks with a very healthy, normal baby boy! SO I know it can be very normal to not have everything show up as early as you are.

Don't even stress---I am betting you will see everything in another week or two.
I wish I would have known and saved myself all the stress I had while I waited.

Good luck hun!!
Yep - way too soon.  It was lucky me who went for my 6 week u/s and they could only see one sac, nothing else - we went Tuesday for our 7 week u/s and found 3 healthy "peanuts" and heard 3 healthy heartbeats.  Do not freak out yet.  As long as your HCG levels are going up, you're ok.  Just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.  Do not stress as that only makes it worse.  I will keep you in my prayers.  
Congratulations! Prgenancies are so touch and go. I have cramping which they say is normal, but not for me. It's sometimes worse than my usual period cramps, but they blame that on the stretching of the muscles.
I love reading the positive posts here! Thank you for posting them, it helps me stay calm! :)
I had an early u/s with this one at 6 wks and not even the sac was there. At 7wks the sac a yolk and 2mm fetal pole no Hb at 8-9wks everything was there strong Hb and all was looking good.
I am now 26wk 5days and everything is just fine.

These early u/s are a nightmare, i would never have again.
i have been for a normal u/s and have found a gestational sac measuring 9 wks (38mm) but they cant find a baby i have not had an internal scan as of yet as i have to be rescanned next week could this be a similar situation or a phantom is what the doc said or that i was to early on i am very anxious and reading this im thinking positive for a min till i go back to my normal life as i am still very unsure and worried???
I had a u/sat 5 weeks, it showed a 1.5cm sac and nothing else.  the Dr is concened as there is no yolk sac, and unfortunaely i went through this in april and they told nme the same thing and Ihad to loose my pregnancy. i hope it was not an error.  Now I am reallt   scared again as i have been trying to get pregnant for7 years.
Yea- the fetal pole dosent usually show up on u/s untill around 6ws maybe even later. I went for my u/s and I have the same thing: A geatational sac but no fetal pole- I am very scared of whats to be of my baby. They also told me it might not be viable or it too young. I'm not sure of how many weeks I am due to getting off the pill. Im just waiting for my 2nd levels to come back and i'm a mess!!! I hope everything turns out good for us!!!
I had only a gestational sac at 5 and 6 weeks!!! Talk about making you sick! But at 7 weeks, I finally saw my little guy in there with a healthy heartbeat! :) Don't stress too much...it's probably just too early!
but mine is 9 weeks i was hoping i am to early but he said the sac is 9 weeks im so worried i will update next thursday when i go back they left me 9 days now
i went to my doctor today and they did an u/s and said im 5wks and there is a gestational sac but no yolk sac. Im worried to death by the way he acts there isnt going to be a baby. Im very upset and just dont know how tro react at this point. He said to come back next tue., it just seems like he has no hope in me. Do i have something to really worry about or what? im a young mother 18 and dont really know what to think.
I am about 6 weeksprgnat with twins some one please help me last night I was in the ER due to pulling pains that  started from my umbilical area down to my vaginal area  they ran my blood and did a vaginal u/s and could only find the gestational sac, no yolk sac or fetal pole was found in eithier sac my blood work came back about 6000 if Iam correct Iam a complete mess and cant stop crying about this if anyone with  a similar problem out there may have any good answer please fill me
I have my first scan yeserday and they said they couldnt even see the sac, i dont know howw any week i am, i think i may be 5 weeks. I had my hcg levels done and they came back at 1240. Does this sound normall i am so worried. I have got to have my hcg levels done again friday, any advise plz.x
I won't be to worried! as long as they double you should be fine. good luck!
Just had my hcg levels done again today and they only went up by 800. last time it was 1240, they told be it should have doubled, i am a bit worried it have only gone up by 800, i am around 5 weeks pregnant. Should i be worried.
Any advise plz.x
I am currently 10 wks going by my LMP. I have already had fraternal twins, one which was a still born and the percent to concieve (conceive) twins again was a high 90%. I was upset to see on my first U/S that I was only measuring 5wks 2dys. I should have been 7wks. No yolk sac or fetal pole was found. I went back after 2 wks for my next U/S and the sac had grown only 1wk and 5days in 2 weeks.. still no yolk sac or fetal pole.. was diagnosed with a Molar pregnancy.. went straight to emergancy where I was booked to remove the next day. so I had my HCG levels taken and i was 36,000. so, was now told things might be ok.. I have my next U/S on thursday but the dr thinks I will miscarry if anything this week. Optimism isnt an easy emotion in situations like this.. just wondering if this could sometimes be normal?! My dates are spot on as I am very regular.
goin by my lmp i should be 5 weeks and 5 days but i had a early scan because i mc on the 26th april. it showed on the scan a very small sac (the doctors arnt quite sure) the doctors say it shows if it is a gestational sac it is measuring about 4 weeks is this normal? they think i may be having a ectopic yet i have had no bleeding.
the world of unknowm is in pregnancy.. doctors could never explain some things and I think considering how early you are, just wait.. you have no control, and as i have learnt, worrying will never bring solution.. if its meant to be it will be, if its not.. then you will justify why when you do actually give birth to an amazing angel.. then you will know why everything has happened. chin up, smile.. easier said than done, but be optimistic.. ovulation is never the same for everyone! so its a long shot to be spot on for the LMP..=) xx
HI I had an ultra sound today and I thought I was 5wks 2days and the Us showes nothing other then A thick uturen wall the Sonogram lady said I was just early Is this normal I came home and took another test and it was still +. No spotting, no cramping and have to pee all the time and my breast are super sore!!!
It doesn't sound like you should worry-  you probably just got there too early to see anything, and it could have been an older machine or something too-  there are a lot of things that go into what you can see that early--- when do you go back again-  a lot of docs won't even do an ultrasound that early unless there is a reason to.
but mine is 9 weeks i was hoping i am to early but he said the sac is 9 weeks im so worried i will update next thursday when i go back they left me 9 days now by sammie060374

May i knw what is the result... i knw it has been 2 yrs..but im going through it nw. The doc said my sac is about 8-9weeks but cant see the yolk sac.
Thnx for your answer.

or anybody can help me. Thank you.

I was wondering if anyone has any input on this.  I am measuring 5 weeks 4 days pregnant when I went to the doctor today and no yolk sac was seen on sono, only gestational sac. The sac measures about 12mm which I thought you should be able to see a yolk sac by now. Anyone know?  I was nervous about ectopic and they watch be good now because I have had 2 previous ectopics and I also have 2 living healthy children.. Is it possible to have an ectopic if a gestational sac is seen. my numbers have been doubling as they should and are at about 6000.  They dont want to do another ultrasound for 2 weeks.  My doctor is not worried at all but I am... Any input?
I had alot of lower back pain so severe that I went to the hospital I also told them I was 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant they did bloods and a ultra sound on me the sonogpher was explaining to me that I had a sac but no yolk sack or fetol pole I have never had this before because I have had other pregnancies that have been normal I have stopped feeling sick and no longer have tingling breast so I am wondering if my pregnancy is abnormal and the doctors are going to run more tests I will have more bloods done as well as a ultra sound and then I will visit the early pregnancy unit to see what the results are I have a funny feeling the results will be the same because I am 38 years and I think this makes a huge difference my age now is going against me I am heading towards the dangerous zone not only for me but for the baby so I am worried that everything wont be alright for me I am trying to stay positive about it though
I am the mother of 12 yr old twin boys who were born at 26wks gestation. They were born via cesearean weighing in at a mere 1lb 9ozs a piece. (one was breech that's the reason for the section). Before the twins I had a miscarriage in '94 @ 12wks and a live birth in '95, a baby boy who was born at 24wks weighing in at 1 lb 2ozs.He lived for 2wks. My twins were born in '97. My problem is an incompetent cervix. The only one who I thought was incompetent was my doctor who I talked to on a number of occassions and asked for a cerclage, but he kept reassurring me it couldn't happen again. I recently found another doctor and told him of my history and the fact that we wanted to have another child. Not only do i have my history behind me, but now I have the age issue. (I am 36 yrs old now). After I went in for my pap test the end of June. I fell ill and didn't know what was happening to me. My periods are regular and so me being pregnant was the furthest thing from my mind since it has been 12 yrs since my last babies...but to my surprise sperm met egg and I finally found the culpret for my all day nausea and vomitting. How excited I am until i started bleeding on 8/22. Just a brownish color which was old blood, but with my history it scared the life out of me.  I headed over to the er were the physician  sent me for an ultrasound and I had a vaginal exam were he was impressed that my cervix was still closed. He told me that the ultrasound did not show a fetal pole which at 5wks they should see he said before he abruptly left the room, and a nurse came in with my discharge papers. I was put on bedrest until I saw my ob. My ob called me and canceled my appointment because of a death in his family. I was rescheduled for last Friday 8/28 were I was supposed to have another ultrasound, but didn't. My Friday appointment was devastating. He told me the same thing the er doctor told me without giving me an ultrasound himself. He told me that there was no fetal pole and I would probably miscarry. I asked him to schedule me for another ultrasound because I myself believe in a higher power. Tomorrow is the day, 8/31 and I know that everything will be fine. I still have all the pregnancy symptoms and the bleeding stopped two days after the er visit. Will keep you posted. On Friday the ob said my uterus felt like I was 6wks. I think early ultrasounds are a cruel and unusual punishment that no one should go through because it only leaves you freaked out. I know that a week plus three days would have really made a difference. I just wish doctors had better bedside manners. I will keep you in my prayers that all your baby dreams come true.
Thanks for all the kind words to everyone in here....(we need that) this is my 3rd time. (first 2 were a miscarrie). I have no childred and so want this one....so...im trying to be VERY patient and wait. (but waiting seems like it takes forever) they say wait a week, it to me seems like  3 months.  I pray the next us.....there is a fetus. When i did the us and they told me they see a sac but no baby...and then said, i maybe getting ready to miscarrie again...(do you kno how hard that is when ur trying to stay positive) any whoooo....the kind words that i read in here gives me GREAT hope.    
Hi to you all.

I have been on the same boat with you all. I had 2 u/s so far becouse I had an eptopic over 6 years ago and I had my left tube removed. When I find out I am pregnant 3 days before I had spot bleeding like tusday abd then nothing on wednesday then I bought my self a pregnancy kit after or on thursday but when I went to take the test there I have been bleeding again so I decided not to take the test, but the bleeding stoped so I take the test next day insteed which it was positive 1-2 weeks pregnant. That was happening on the same week I normally have my period. My GP send me off A & E because of my eptopic history and as well because of bleeding and cramping. They do another pregnancy tests using the urine and as well blood and my bhcg level was 358, 48 hours later it was 974, a week later they book me for an u/s but they had to do an internal one as they couldn't see anything. The internal one showed an 13mm gestation sac without an yolk sac or a fetal poll. They ask me to redo the blood test which was 7218 and 48 hours later they was 7893. They book me for another scan a week later and had to do another internal u/s and they sow this time an 18 mm gestational sac but still no yolk sac or baby. Anyway they suggested to come back in 2 weeks time but the fact the gestaion sac got bigger and still no yolk and baby might be an blighted ovum. I made another scan appointment in 10 days as I couldnt wait anylonger, but now I moved back for another week. The reason is I went back and recalculate my dates. Considering my last period I shall be 8 weeks pregnant today. But becouse I was doing my ovulation kit every month I rememberd there was a very late ovulation so considering the date my ovulation was positive I will be only 5 weeks on thursday, thats why I moved my scan back. I am positive everything it will be fine as I still have all my pregnancy simptoms. So for all of you who read this don't give up hope and stop thinking negative, try to remember if you can the day you concived as it does make a lot difference. I will keep you all posted. I will have my next scan on the 26th may but I am already think of movin it back more as only can bring you its lot of strees, and thats the last thing you and your baby need. So I suggest you to hold back as much as you can untill you have your first scan arround 10 weeks will be the perfect one.

God bless you all.
My lmp was in march I found out i was preg at the end of april.. when i took the test the lines were very faint i had an u/s done on the 10th of may which showed just a empty gest sac about 3wks with nothin in it and ... so my doc sheduled me for another u/s on the 8th of june and still just an empty sac but 6weeks gest.  i am very scared because now my doc made another appointment for me to hve an u/s in 2 weeks time and says if nothin is visible he's goin to schedule me for a d&c and says that i may have a blighted ovum this scares me because i have no symtoms (symptoms) at all except for sore breasts they havnt dont blood work or anything of that sort... should i be worried 2 weeks is such a short time for a yolk sac a baby and a heart beat to show up !!!
im 34yrs old have to living grown kids. i had a total 17 miscarges including extopic pregnacys now im 5weeks and about3days pregnant and they only can see an empty sac can some one help me and tell me what should i do also had bleeding and brownish blood went to er and they told me my cervix never open
I have been trying to get pregnant for so long. Few years ago doctors told me I have endometriosis / retroverted uterus / policistic ovaries so many barriers for me to get pregnant. They told me to take pills to increase my estrogen so i have decided to take it for 4 consecutive months. This year everything seems different, I stopped takng pills since I was gaining weight then I missed my period last month and I would feel dizzy and tired. My husband bought 2 pregnancy test. We were surprised to know both test are positive. Yesterday I had my ultrasound and they saw an empty gestational sac. After 3 days I will go back for the result. Im staying positive. God has given me this gift.
Hi everyone, I have been reading everyones posts. I recently had 2 miscarriages. I am pregnant again after waiting 7 months. When I went to the doctors I should have been 6 weeks preganant according to my lmp. The ultrasound showed 4 weeks and 4 days. It was a gestational sac. I immediately broke out in tears because I felt it was happening all over again. I have to go back next week. In the mean time I am getting bloodwork every other day. I have all the symptoms of being pregnant. I hope everthing wotks out this time. I have an 11 year old boy and turning 30. I have no cramping or bleeding like I did the last time.
im on my 5th week nd 3days, i had an ultrasound  today, as per the ob, theres a gestational sac but no yolk sac, but the ob once told me that she saw, yolk sac, but she can not find it again. help me pls. im so worried, what is this means? someone could help me out thanks. MSL
Im going to make myself sick with all this .....worrying....please help.....im going on 8 weeks from my lmp..i have poitive urine pregnacy test and even at the dr.office ..i went through a horrible miscarriage in february and so im supper worried...i had a sono done yesterday but no baby ....at all not even a sac ....im so scared that something is wrong ...dr. is checking my hcg level and wants to check again in 48 hrs....this is so bad to go through your just woundering where is the fetus ...am i prego....geeezzzz what do i do.....help....please help.....