Maternal & Child Community
5 weeks old is he spoiled?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

5 weeks old is he spoiled?

when do i let him lay in the crib and cry. I feel as tho I am spoiling him by holding him while he sleeps. He cries as soon as I lay him down.
I dont think you can spoil a 5 week old but it doesnt take them long to figure it out !!!
Babies take a while to go into a deep sleep, I found bundling them in a warm blanket(sometimes i would through it in the dryer for a second)
I read that if their limbs are limp they are sleeping deeply and its safe to put them in their crib without waking

Some people don't ever just let their baby 'cry it out'......
I don't!!! And my son is 10 months old.
I firmly believe that you CAN spoil a "baby" even though the experts say you can't. But I still don't let him cry it out.
Baby needs to know that you are there for them and they need to know that when they cry that you will come. And at 5 weeks old baby is only crying because s/he needs something from you. Maybe he gets cold when you try to lay him down. Maybe he just needs to feel you near him at this stage......He should still be waking at night for feedings (you didn't mention that) so please don't try skipping those important times he is waking.
Best of luck,
Vikki
If anyone ever figures out a sure fire way on this one LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have a 6 mo old who has slept with me since day one and I cannot get him to go anywhere to sleep and he does not want to stay with a sitter or take a bottle or a pacifier or anything.  I went out last week with my DH and my baby screamed for an hour and a half before falling asleep (being held by the sitter) for 3 hours and woke up when I got home at 12:15 a.m and we left at 5:30.  He did not eat that whole time.  I am at my wits end with it too.  I kind of knew though that I was going to "spoil" him because I lost a baby before him and my daughter grew so fast I wanted to enjoy him being a baby forever but now I am a little sorry I did that although I do love him to peices and when I have NOTHING to do I will sit and hold him just because.  Well I have rambled on enough.  Good Luck to you.
Blondie hope you paid that babysitter well!!!..LOL....
I just started taking my babe to the sitters once a week not that I have anything important to do  but just to get him use to others. I just go and have coffee with a friend, or lunch or shopping.
Yes they can get attached to MOM  its cute in away but its also Hell!
I let my kids start crying it out at 3 months old and believe me they got the message quick. My son just turned 2 and I still have to let him cry it out sometimes. It won't kill them, just make their lungs stronger. With a 5 week old just swaddle the baby, it make them feel like they are in the womb again. use a swing, carseat, or bouncy. Its what i used with my 2 and it let me relax too.
Hi there! It's an important question that you asked. Actually, according to medical personnel, it is virtually impossible to spoil your child within the first 6 months to 1 year. Because this is the time when children learn the meaning of security, it is important for you to tend to them when they cry. Plus, by being attentive, you learn why the baby is crying (hunger, tiredness, etc.) If you leave them there to 'cry it out' you're not doing the baby - or yourself - any good. Once the child can talk and communicate, that's when spoiling can become an issue. But while they're young, give em all the time, love and attention they need. :)
Read "The Secrets of the baby whisperer" by Tracy Hogg.  It's very good.  She's not an advocate of crying it out, but IS an advocate of teaching your baby to be self reliant in certain cituations.  This is only my opinion, maybe you can't spoil a baby, but i'd say what can happen is you get in the habit of holding your baby all the time, and then next thing you know he/she is 1 1/2 and your in the habit and can't break it.  As you know a 1 1/2 year old can get very heavy very quickly. I certainly never want to go through that babysitter nightmare.   The book teaches you that your baby can learn to sleep on his/her own and also feel secure in the fact that mommy is there when you need her.  So it gives them confidence in themselves and confidence in mommy. It's really amazing.  Just to warn you, it will take a week or two of REALLY hard work, and major adjustments, but the end result is astonishing as long as you stick to it 100%.  It worked for me. Good Luck!!
no, I dont think you can spoil a baby that little. They are used to hearing your heartbeat and being tight and close to you. So your damn right they get mad when you move them to something not as warm and familiar. It will pass, I promise! Then you are gonna want the days when your baby just wanted to lay on you!
hi, my baby is 5 weeks old and she does sleep in her crib but wakes more often so i hold her in bed with me, or in the day i get a big fleece blanket and make a sort of birds nest with my daughter in the middle, she likes feeling safe and close to me and at a young age like this i think a baby needs that feeling of security, she is not spoiled, she is loved.
she also gets looked after over night by my parents once every two or three weeks so i can re charge my batteries so im fit to look after her and she is used to not just sleeping with me, i miss her when shes gone but im glad for the rest.
I dont let my baby cry out ever, i dont care what experts say, i care about what i feel and how my little one feels. when he crys he is calling out 4 mum, the only one that he knows and connects with, they know us and trust us, he's depending on me to help and understand him, and comfort him, i am here for him 110% and wont let him down, at this point in time i will be there at his every every beck and call and love every minute of being there for my son, as he gets older he will slowly understand life and learn more each day, we will communicate and he wont be a spoilt little child, just a confident stable young man who has the full support and love of his mother............goodnite!!!!
i read your opinion but do not agree with it at all, it is cruel and unfair to do this to a  baby who depends on you for every single aspect of their whole entire existance, they will disconnect from you and everything warm and loving to some point and u will see that one day when he gets older and wonder why it is...........i dont know how u sit there and listen to them cry out 4 u......your comment "they get the msg quick" was weak of u and it sounds like you have a control issue, its not a game, i dont have anything better to do and am strong for my son, if he needs me i AM THERE FOR HIM, i feel sorry for you.............