Maternal & Child Community
5 weeks pregnant after IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

5 weeks pregnant after IVF

Hi there. I am looking for people to chat with ... I went through my first round of IVF in August. ER was 8/2 and ET was 8/7. We got a positive blood test on 8/17. I go tomorrow for my second blood test to confirm that HcG levels are increasing appropriately. My doctor says the will schedule ultrasound for 4 weeks after ET, so that should be at the end of August. My HcG level was 280 on 8/17, so some of my friends are predicting twins. I'm not sure if that is high or not. Doesn't matter to me ... I just want healthy babies ... or baby.

We tried for 2.5 years to get pregnant ... finally went the IVF route and are thrilled that it worked the first time.

I say 5 weeks pregnant ... just because that is the "official" term if you go back to the first day of last period. In order to follow the books and websites, I have to look at 5 weeks.

I would love to chat with women that are newly pregnant or women that have advice.

I am still on progesterone injections and vag. cream progesterone until the end of the first trimester. Not loving that, but I know it is necessary.
I am bloated, and not sleeping well. Thought it was too early for symptoms. No morning sickness, yet. Eating well, but not that hungry. Taking all the vitamins my OB said to.

Hope to hear from someone. Thanks. Take care.
Congrats on your pregnancy.  I am scheduled to have my pg test on the 24th.  I had only one embryo transferred via a donor cycle and though I have a lot of things going for me now, I want to see the results.  

My question - how many embryos did your RE transfer and how did you handle the wait?
CONGRATS! I AM SO9 HAPPY FOR YOU. i am waiting for my blood test result they will be done tomorrow, i am 6 days late naturally. GOOD LUCK.
Our DD turns 13 months today, she is the product of a 1st IVF.  If you have any ?s feel free to ask!  Also, you might find many more responses on the infertility forum.

Your numbers are pretty high... How many embryos did they transfer?
Thank you both for writing ... I would love to keep in touch with you.
Good luck to both of you.
We transfered 2 embryos on 8/7 ... waiting for the blood test day was not easy. I tried to stay positive, but as the days went on, it got harder and harder not to worry and get nervous. I yelled at my husband a few times out of frustration, and got weepy a lot ... especially the day before and the day of.

Just try to take it as easy as possible ... think happy thoughts as much as possible. I kept telling my body ... "Yeah!! I'm pregnant! I'm so happy to be pregnant!" Don't know if that helped or not, but I have been reading the book "The Secret" and you are supposed to act like you have already received what you want.

Do either of you have any symptoms ... My symptoms during the wait was cramps like my period was coming and a tightening of my lower abdomen. Now, my stomach muscles are slightly sore (like I have been doing some sit ups), slight/occasional cramping, and not sleeping through the night because I am having FUNKY dreams and having to get up and pee.

Please keep writing!
Well, like I said, I went through the IVF in November of 2005 (our DD is now 13 months).  I remember wanting it to work sooooo bad.  During the tww I really didn't feel anything, or maybe I felt everything.  I kept thinking, was that a pain, is that cramps, are my bbs sore? And then the HPTs... I tested like a mad woman AND every test was a BFN!  I was so depressed the day of the blood test.  I went to the lab and told the lady that I KNEW I wasn't pregnant and that if she would just call me (instead of waiting for the RE to call) because I didn't want to keep taking medicine for no reason... Well she called me about 30 minutes later and says, your HCG is 78.  I had no idea what that meant (being a newbie) and said, so what does that mean?  She said, it means you are pregnant!  I thought I was going to fall out of my chair!  I just started crying and saying, more like screaming, "are you serious?"  
Anyways, for several days (maybe even up to a couple of weeks) I felt funny... funny like my period was going to start... kinda crampy, but nothing too bad... I was worried, very worried... Turns out, I shouldn't have been worried... apparently that is normal.
I am so excited for you! I have lots of funny stories for you as your time progresses!  Let's keep in touch!
Oh yeah, by the way, I never had any morning sickness (thank God).  Two years before, when I had a miscarraige (miscarriage), blighted ovum, I had decent amount of morning sickness.  So, I would say not to read into stuff too much, like oh, no morning sickness, I can't be pregnant, or too much morning sickness, is something wrong with baby.  I agree with your positive thoughts perspective!
Congratulations!! I went through ivf for the first time and it worked for us too....I am now 36 weeks pregnant and expecting one very healthy girl. It takes a long time to get from finding out you are indeed pregnant to finally gettting to hold this little miracle. I am growing very impatient. Your numbers do sound good for more than one. Mine were in the 80s...for our one little munchkin. We transferred 3 embryos that were all good quality but only one actuallytook. Just wait until you have your first ultrasound, the bst day ever is when ou get to see the lttle heartbeat.

I don't remember any syptoms (symptoms) in the beginning much. I have had no morning sickness really this whole time. One of my friends said Since I had to work so hard to actually get pregnant, that meant that  I got to have an easy pregancy. And so far she's been right.

Good luck to you and your DH.
Thanks so much to both of you for writing. My second blood test was today (day 19 from ER) my levels are at 945. My husband is convinced we are having twins ... as long as there are only two, I am fine. My friends keep joking about how one or both embryos could have split! Not funny. This will be our first baby (or two), so we only feel like we could handle two. I'm not too worried about it.

Our ultrasound is 9/7, so I will keep you posted. I would love to chat, so please keep writing.
If you would like, my email address is montanaeic at yahoo dot com.
Hey!  My ultrasound is 9/7!!!  I did not use IVF, but we did take a long time to get pregnant with this one, and after one miscarriage and 9 months of trying I am now 17 weeks!  First, I think that feeling like your period is common in pregnancy very early on, it is just everything growing and getting ready to grow!  on 9/7 I am having my "big" ultrasound where they tell you the sex and measure everything and that day is JUST NOT COMING SOON ENOUGH!!  I am SURE you feel the same!  I will look on that day to see how you u/s went!!  Good luck and congratulations!!  

Oh, and if you don't mind me asking...  I have a very close friend and neighbor who has been trying for a couple of years, she just finished 4 rounds of clomid with no luck and is very upset and frustrated and she was thinking the only other treatment to try is ivf, is that true?  She is just concerned with the cost of everything, as I am sure everyone is in this situation, I told her that I thought there were other options she might want to try before ivf, but maybe it is the best course for her... what do you think??  

Anyway!  Best of luck and have fun on the 7th!  It is so wonderful to see that heart beat... or heart beats in your case maybe!!  :)
I went through IVF (1st round) in June.  We are now 13 weeks pregnant with twins.  We transferred 3 embryos back in and all 3 took, but we lost the 3rd one at approximately 8 weeks.  We are now pregnant with healthy twins measuring right on schedule.  It is very nerve racking, but hang in there.  The u/s is the best.  I wish I could have one every week!!!!
Has your friend tried artificial insemination? Her doctor will put her on drugs to overstimulate her egg production and then her husband will give a sample on the specific day. They will put this sperm in past her cervix.

Kelly Texas ... Congratulations!! Thanks for the advice. I am excited to have the u/s on 9/7. I will let ya know then.

ZevasMom: I will write you at your e-mail address, too. Take care.
Hi, Im new to this forum...came across this and wanted to share just to see if it helps. Her is my story. I have 4 older children from my first marriage(all conceived naturally then tubes tied..reversal didnt work so second marriage we decided on IVF... 21f(married expecting 1st..omg im gonna be a grammy...wait im not done having my own lol), 18m(killed aug 21 2008..4 weeks after his 18th by another driver that was going at a high rate of speed at 5:30am. 17f(twins), 21 month old f emale by IVF#2 born oct 2007 (second cycle), IVF#3 chemical preg., IVF#4 BFN and today IVF#5 8/13 my first beta 226 IVF nurse says might be twins. Second beta on sat. No we didnt start more cyles just because our son was killed. We had decided this as a family before his death and decided what a wonderful way to celebrate his life then to go ahead with what we had decided as a family. and it worked!! woot..Thank you god!...no as far as the crampy I had that with my IVF daughter and some light spotting and she was perfect. I did the same with this pregnancy IVF #5 and my levels are great the IVF doc says..mild cramping is normal. You will not start as long as you are taking progesterone or anything containing progesterone. IVF daughter we testing the night before the first beta and we had a faint positive. I tested 4 days before beta test this time ivf#5 because hubby was going to back to afghanistan before beta and we wante dto know SOMETHING lol...and it was positive...thats another reason why they think more then one because HPT was way early ..:))...we will see how things go...Best wishes and baby dust to all!!!..we have been truely blessed....I read in Chicken soup for the christain womans soul that God must love you very much, because he gives the hardest task to those he loves the most. I dont confess to be a huge relidious wpman but it happened to be in one of my bathrooms under the sink and I was like hmmm and i turned to a page that was about a lil girl who was hit by a car. Kinda ironic since my son was killed by a car and the 1 yr date is coming up. I asked my oldest daughter who is now 21 and she said oh yeah I saw that in there and read something one day that really touched me....I said this is your book..she said no..we dont know where it came from....Im a believer and I was always told god works in mysterious ways. God Bless...and Babby dust to all!
Oh wow just realized I was babbling...oops...thanks for listening though and Baby dust to all!
Congrats
I had an FET in 2004 and one baby numbers were REALLY high
2005 - had twins - numbers were much lower
2007- twins - an dthe numbers were high

It is so hard to predict - MS was horrible with twins - I knew second time it was twins dueto MS
Hi there
I new to this forum I 5 weeks 1 day pregnant through ivf icis had one embryo transfered 15 feb 2011, am alittle worried before I found out I was pregnant I had alot a symptoms bloating, feeling sick and my (-)(-) felt biggger, but now the only thing I feel is are my boobs are a little sensitive. am worried something is wrong, First scan is 28/03/2001

Thanx for listerning some advise would be great
Hi, I will be 5 wk 2moro after ivf, 4 embryo transfered.....yes I know it sounds a lot but doctor wanted to give me as more chances as possible. Next week will be my 1st scan to find out how many babies.

I just want to tell you to not worry as women's body react all differently. In my case I do not have yet bigger or sore breast, but I read that it might just come later on in the pregnancy, I feel well more hungry and thirsty.

Just relax and think always positive as ajc1234 wrote about the book "The secret" from Ronda Byrne....YES.... it works, I have read it, as well as "The Power" and also "The Law of Attraction".

I wish you all a lot of Joy, Happiness and....babies of course.
i did my 3 day transfer of 5 embryo and i av passed my day 14 i went to d doctor and did my blood test still saying negative but today is my 20th still i have no bleeding can someone advice coz this is my first IVF i have 2 kids naturally