Maternal & Child Community
5 wks 2days pregnant; no yolk sac no fetal pole

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Last week I took a hpt and it came back positive. This is my first pregnancy. Yesterday I had my first obgyn appointment. The transvaginal u/s showed that I was measuring just over 5 weeks. There was a gestational sac, but no yolk sac or fetal pole showed up. They told me that it was not likely to be a viable pregnancy, but to act as if it were and to come back in 2 weeks for another u/s. I have not had any spotting or cramping. I am a nervous wreck. 2 weeks is a very long time to wait on this kind of news! I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or any advice for me?
Honestly, at 5 weeks I think it's rude of anyone to tell you that.  They have no clue when you ovulated or anything. What they should have done is take blood work and then again 2 days later. Wait out your 2 weeks, I'm going to have to say I'm sure you'll see a healthy baby & heartbeat. Then, high tail it out of there and find a new OB. I don't like their bedside manner already :)  (I'm hormonal today)!
Get a new OB-GYN. There's my advice. There's no need to worry someone when a pregnancy is that early. Depending on movement and your position those things may not show up on screen. Don't sweat it!
Sometimes i think they like to freak you out especially when its your first baby. Dont stress just wait the two weeks and go and see another doctor. Plus if you were having a misscarrage you would have signs like back ack,cramping, peirod pain and of couse bleeding so if you have none of these relax and see someone else for another to put your mind at ease :) hope all goes well hugs
Thank you guys for the encouragement! Today the OB called and said that in the last 36 hours, my hcg has more than doubled, which I take to be a promising sign :)
HA! Of course it has, great sign!! The only sign you need. What a bunch of *bleeeps*  I went through this my first pregnancy. I stuck it out for 32 weeks before I finally hit the breaking point and changed. Watch how they treat you and go with your instincts, Congrats!!
Yay that's great news :)
Thank you all so much for your encouragement!! I had a second u/s today and there it was!!! Everything looks great!! Heard a good strong heartbeat of 146bpm!! Thank you again for your encouraging words!
I'm going thru same and really scared! I went to the Dr 05/10/2011 found out I was pregnant LMP sometime in April since I'm irregular unsure about date. They did a beta test due to very light spotting on 05/10 it was 885, 05/12 and it doubled. I went again on 05/19/2011 and it increased to 36,579. They also did an ultrasound on 05/19 but only saw a gestational sac and nothing else. I went for a more detailed ultrasound on 05/26/2011 and they still only see a sac and nothing else. I did have 2 blood clots in my uterus but not in sac and they are not sure if it could be from a previous miscarriage. The Dr said it's really weird nothing is showing up but Beta test is increasing. I will have another Beta test tomorrow just to see if # has increased and will also go Wed & Fri next week to see if #'s are increasing. I've read alot of Forums stating that they might not be able to see anything since it is so small but I might trying to stay positive. I have had a succeful pregnancy and never had this happen and just not sure what to think. Is there anyone here who has had the samething happen with a positive outcome?  I have not passed any clots or any red blood. I have spotted 3 times very light when I wipe. If the test does not show an increase they are going to schedule me to go over options. I went to have Beta test again on 05/27/2011 and it increased to 99,669. I do not understand what is going on and Dr does not give me straight answer. I'm switching Dr's hopefully someone with more experience. All I can do is leave it in God's hands.
That's great news! I hope I end up with same outcome

That is great news that you heard the heart beat and everything is ok. It also gives me some hope. I believe that I am 5 weeks and 5 days based on my IUI procedure and I had my first u/s today. They could not find the fetal pole and the doctor felt I was also measuring too small and said that it most likely is not a good pregnancy. They took my blood and I have to wait until tomorrow for those results and then wait until next Wednesday for another u/s. I guess if my numbers are not good with tomorrows results I will know he is right, but until I have that information I will still keep some hope. He just seemed so sure that I would miscarry and I keep thinking he should know he is the expert. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. I hope it is both happy and healthy.
don't worry girls- had same situation- now im 12 days away from my due date :) all will be fine- just try to stay calm :)