Maternal & Child Community
58 black fly bites!! Yikes! suggestions???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I took my kids to the beach this week. It was warm, sunny and there was a slight breeze. I had no idea it would be so buggy and I did not even think to bring bug spray, since I have never had an issue with teeny black flies at this local beach. Well, the other children we were there with were in and out of the water and moving so fast that the flies did not even bother them.

But my kids seemed to be a special target. My almost 4 year old was playing in the sand and was not swatting the bugs away. I was standing near her and kept picking them off her back, neck, shoulders, arms, etc. Finally, enough was enough. SHe had streams of blood coming out of all these bites and I freaked out and took her back to my friends  house to clean her up. My 18 month old got many bites on her head, but after I cleaned her up, the swelling went down and looked much better very quickly.

I don't know what to do with my 4 year old? I have been applying witch hazel, benadryl and trying to keep them clean. They look like a normal bug bites, but it is bad because there are so many. She looks like she has chicken pox. When bathing her the other night we counted 58 bites. What else can I do to help them heal better? I was afraid she would go into a shock or something from all the swelling of the bites. She seems fine. A little cranky but not sick or otherwise upset.

Should I have a Dr. look at them? None of them appear infected, what should I look for? These bugs were so vicious!
wow,  I don't think I actually would have counted all the way to 58!  I think I'd have just given up at 10 and though "geez, that is a lot of bites!"...  

I would think that if she was going to have more of a reaction to them, it would have happened by now...  it sounds like you are probably doing all you can for her-  perhaps calamine lotion (sp?)--- poor baby!  I hate those black flies!
Thanks. I think I am more worried about them than she is. I almost took her to the Dr.'s but I figured the ER would have turned us away thinking I was nuts.lol. They just look sooo bad.
I guess I will have to be more vigilant with the bug spray when I go to the beach again. I have just never had this problem before at the beach. BUT, what can I expect here??

If they do become infected, how would I know?? Would she have a fever and be sick or would the bites just look *****? Right now they look scabby and very red and tender.

I guess I learned my lesson for next time.
if she scratches at them they could easily get infected-  I am not sure how you'd tell, but if you are worried about it,  I say take her into the dr.  I wouldn't worry about that!  :)
haha. I just saw they blurred out a word. They must have assumed that I mispelled a bad word.
:~#
I meant puss- Like oozing. guess you can't get away with too much here, lol!

I suppose if they were infected, she would let me know how bad she felt.
I have had so many people come up to me and ask me if she has chicken pox. THAT is how bad they are!
Try swabbing the bites with original-formula Listerine.  The menthol and whatever else is in there is magic for itchy skin abrasions; it calms the itch down really fast.  It even works for shingles lesions.
Thanks Brooke. They are still there, but more scabby now. I think they are finally healing. I was so afraid she would get a bug- born disease. I keep watching her to see if she has any flu like symptoms. Those are can severe here in New England when they pop up, and I am keep an eye on her.