5y.o. w/ swollen lymph nodes...
My son was born with 2 enlarged lymph nodes on the left side of his neck. Today I noticed that he now has a lot of swollen lymph nodes beginning from behind his ear and extending several inches down his neck (the original 2 have not changed in size, shape, etc...). It is visually obvious. They are on both sides and painless.

When questioned he said his throat and ears don't hurt. He also seems to be healthy and normal as usual.

I haven't checked his other lymph nodes (groin, armpit etc...) to see if there's any obvious nodes there.

He may just be fighting an infection but I'm wondering how long I should "wait and see" or if I should just have him examined sooner rather than later.

I would appreciate any opinions on this. Thanks!!

Kelly
I personally would never wait to have lymp nodes check if swollen and painless.  Having said that it is rare that it could be something serious.  When you fight infection and nodes are swollen they are painful.

When my son was around the same age as yours his lymp nodes in his neck around the ear, jaw line, and tonsil area started to swell then it continued down his neck.  I toke him to the Dr. and of course he didn't see his Dr but the Nurse Practioner whom told me that he might have Lymphoma but lets wait a month to see what happens.  I went crazy.  I thought OMG.  I went home and to the library (didn't have or know anything about computors then) and did much research on the topic.  In the mean time my sons nodes continued to swell now under his arm in the chest area (he was very skinny)  What I found was that a blood test could be given that wouldn't prove that he had lymphoma but would prove that he didn't have it.  So I call his Dr and talk to him and ask for this test.  He refused.  I was very mad I told him you don't tell a parent that their kid may have cancer but lets wait a month to see what happens.

I took him to a different Dr.  He didn't have Lymphoma he had Cat Scracth Fever.  Yeah it is actually a Dx. and it is caused by a cat scracth.