Maternal & Child Community
6 1/2 month old is a night owl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

6 1/2 month old is a night owl

my 6 1/2 month old refuses to sleep through the night. he won't go to sleep until 2am no matter how hard i try to get him to sleep. when he does finally go to bed he wakes up 3 times a night. he also doesn't wake up until 11am, i've tried letting him cry it out but it kills me to listen to his cries. we have a night time routine and everything but its not seeming to help. does anyone have any ideas how to get him to sleep and sleep through the night?
I think this is referred to at least in some of the material I've seen as night/day confusion; you might google the term and see what useful material comes up.  

My son has a late schedule (up late and sleeps late) which we've kept him on purposely up until now because if I put him to bed at 7 or 8 pm, my husband would never see him.  I believe as a result we're going to be in for it when we do have to change this when he begins preschool.  I'm going to take a leaf from some of the better books I've read on kids and sleep, and move his schedule forward slowly, like a half an hour every five days or so.  I'll get him up a half hour earlier too, not let him sleep, so he'll be tired.  Part of the problem is going to be that he knows Mommy and Daddy do interesting things in the evening (or at least, they look more interesting to him than going to bed).

I've also heard that being sure a child gets plenty of exercise in the day (though not right before bed) will help them be tired enough to nap and to sleep.
Hi there,
Sounds like the baby is getting about 9 hours sleep from 2-11.  
From everything I have read and my pediatrician has said these are some things you can do.
Wake the baby up early in the morning say 7am or 8am and keep him up all day so that he is tired at night.  It will be hard as he will be fussy.  
Make sure the room is completely dark at night during any diaper changes or feedings.  
You can also put him in a sleep sack during his new bedtime which should be around 7 or 8 pm.  
I had my son in a swing at night in my bedroom and sometimes he would sleep in his car seat.  I guess he felt more comfortable in those things rather than in a crib.  
I don't like the idea of having him cry it out either.  
You can also do a warm bath and feeding and diaper change right before bed as a little bed time routine.
Hope this helps.
Athena
I agree with waking the baby earlier in the morning but what will seem to happen since the baby is so used to 2 am to 11 am, they will need to nap.  Especially because he's only 6 1/2 months old and take about 2 naps a day.  Naps shouldn't effect nighttime routine and I have seen that napping actually helped my son sleep better at night.  The more overly stimulated he was, the more frequently he woke up at night.  But yes, slowly wake him up earlier and move the nap times up earlier.  One should be about 2-3 hours after he first wakes up in the morning and the next one should be around 2 pm or so.  Keep his schedule consistent.